Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: H&K VP 9 and apendix carry

H&K VP 9 and apendix carry

Finally, after allmost 40 years with the P7, the bavarian state police has decided to issue the VP 9 as our new duty handgun.
    As a detective I carry my gun concealed of course. Within the last year I became more an more comfortable with the aiwb position.
    But pointing a fully cocked, striker fired weapon at my private parts feels, well strange...
    So my question is: Is there an enhanced risk of an accidential discharge with this design? Especially given the fact, that I'm extremly likely to keep this verry same gun untill I retire in about 25-30 years.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

It's absolutely unforgiving. And it has no additional layer(s) of safety compared to, say, an HK P30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm more concerned about hardware issues.
    Might the gun discharge in a car accident?
    Will the internal safeties get unreliable as the gun get's older?
    What about bad maintanance due to budget reasons?

Human errors are of course the reason for most accidents. But this is something I can adress by myself, with training and extreme caution.
    What I cannot adress is the desigh of my duty gun.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

I don't know that there's an enhanced risk of ND'ing inherent a SFA-only design, but I do know that the options I have for mitigating that risk are fewer than with a hammer-fired gun, a gun with a manual safety of some sort, or a Gadget-equipped Glock. I can still mitigate the risk through good holstering technique and I can mitigate the harms of an ND through the same (see video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGU7HbgDIvE

If I was in a position to be carrying a VP9 as my only option I would be carrying it AIWB.

I appreciate there may be a slightly higher degree of risk from outlier incidence , but I wouldn't let it get in the way of the real benefit.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Luger View Post
    If there's any company I trust to get it right both engineering and manufacturing wise it would be H&K.
    I myself would have zero concerns about the mechanical safety of the VP9 over the long term.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

IMHO its as safe as any other striker fired gun to carry AIWB and our holster will offer a bit more safety than some of the others with our trigger finger pinch system. The VP9 is a good gun just keep it clean and lubed.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Luger View Post

Human errors are of course the reason for most accidents. But this is something I can adress by myself, with training and extreme caution.
    What I cannot adress is the desigh of my duty gun.
    Since you're talking about hardware only, unless you get a lemon of a VP9, you shouldn't be concerned in the least.

As to your last question about maintenance, I don't know how it's done in the Bavarian State Police, but I wouldn't really trust any bureaucratic organization to take care of maintaining my weapons; I would take care of maintenance myself.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I wouldn't, but YMMV
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

When I played around with a vp9 and carried it for a bit, I used a JM AIWB with a clip. The majority of reholstering, I would take off the holster, reholster the gun, then insert back into position. It was a way for me to mitigate some risk.
    With that being said I don’t like clips for holsters and prefer snap loops.

The vp9 is a quality gun that utilizes a different design of FPB that I think is more robust.

I have said many times, if a Gadget was made for vp9, I would carry one.

User Tag List