Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: discrete long gun cases/bags for transpo of full-size riles to the range

I use an large blue nylon duffle bag that I got in a pawn shop. It works well for a 24" Model 70 Winchester. I usually put any long gun into a padded soft case before it goes into the duffle to help break up the outline.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Name:  IMG_4531.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  39.0 KBName:  IMG_4532.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  47.3 KB

So thought I would give that suggestion a try. When its on your back it would easily pass a quick glance as the taut strap evens out the bags profile a bit. Closer inspection would show its oddly shaped and much thinner than a chair. Thats a 16” for reference. The pistol grip makes it oddly shaped.
    I think the 1301t would work great if I took a round piece of cardboard or plastic for the bottom and something like a yoga mat wrapped and taped in a open cylinder. It would hide the profile pretty complete. Although carrying a lawn chair in winter months might catch a couple extra glances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play electric guitar and bass, I find those soft shell cases can pretty much accommodate anything I might want to transport discreetly.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    So thought I would give that suggestion a try. When its on your back it would easily pass a quick glance as the taut strap evens out the bags profile a bit. Closer inspection would show its oddly shaped and much thinner than a chair. Thats a 16” for reference. The pistol grip makes it oddly shaped.
    I think the 1301t would work great if I took a round piece of cardboard or plastic for the bottom and something like a yoga mat wrapped and taped in a open cylinder. It would hide the profile pretty complete. Although carrying a lawn chair in winter months might catch a couple extra glances.

Even a padded zip case would break up that outline.

Here's mine

With this inside:

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 02-14-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Photo issue
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The yoga mat liner seems like it should work pretty well. Even make some ends to keep those shapes from printing.

Although carrying a lawn chair in winter months might catch a couple extra glances.
    Not cold enough for ice fishing where you are?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Overnight bag from Jean Paul Gaultier.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I may know someone who experimented with a 12.5" SBS with one of those Witness Protection handgrips in a yoga bag. Cut off a section of the foam yoga mat, and Velcro'd inside the bag.

It did conceal, but that shotgun is just an unmanageable beast with that silly grip. The Magpul stock went back on, and the shotgun slithered back to its usual concealment gear.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I may know someone who experimented with a 12.5" SBS with one of those Witness Protection handgrips in a yoga bag. Cut off a section of the foam yoga mat, and Velcro'd inside the bag.

It did conceal, but that shotgun is just an unmanageable beast with that silly grip. The Magpul stock went back on, and the shotgun slithered back to its usual concealment gear.
    It may be a little long but I think the 1301 should fit in that bag or maybe a little longer one quite well and be easy enough to remove without a pistol grip and foregrip and scope catching on everything.

Okie that hides deceptively well in that bag for sure!

Another guitar/bass gig bag devotee here.
    Then again, I also own an old Steinberger XL 2 headless bass, and it has a gig bag that looks like a rifle case.
    So, while I'm plenty discreet when going to the range, I do get looks going to a gig.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Although carrying a lawn chair in winter months might catch a couple extra glances.
    Most folks really can't be bothered to even begin to give a crap about what you're doing or carrying. Even a feeble attempt at hiding it is going to be pretty effective.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 02-15-2018 at 07:41 PM.

User Tag List