Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron Sight Zero

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    We have mechanical zero, and the shooters perception of that zero. Combine those with any number of shooter induced errors, and you get internet diagnostics. I don't believe sights should be drifted to compensate for shooter error. I also don't believe the majority of shooter who say "the sights are off" However, if you can shoot a 2" group 2" left of center at 25 yards and a 4" group 4" left of center at 50 yards, we can then talk about making an adjustment.

With Glocks, I believe @Gio mentioned the front sight being torqued counter clockwise due to the way they affix to the slide. This moves the face of the front sight ever so slightly to the right, causing the shooter to move the gun off center to the left.

Shooting tight groups and distance work really magnifies errors. Also having a competent shooter verify, never hurts.

Well said.

Id only add some "shooter error" can be individual holding, not necessarily flinching or other gross mistakes

I'll look into the rear face of the front sight. It can give you a false perception of being true. I am near-sighted so any errors are compounded. And it pisses me off something mightily. I have had Glocks that shot to the left for everyone who shot it - including Super Dave Harrington. That one got shipped back. The sights were shifted way off center. He shot it as I did: four inches left of target with the sights perfectly aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just so we don't drift too far here ....

What I'm taking issue with is this silly notion that the rear sight needs to be centered in the dovetail to have an effective zero.

ETA: This is the worst one I've ever encountered.

One of my Instructor pals has an old Gen 2 G17 (LE Trade-In) with factory NS that have been dead for decades. The rear sight has been moved as far right as you can drift it without the edge protruding out of the dovetail and it still shoots a little left for me. He sees iron sights a little differently than I do and it's not quite as bad for him, but he's contemplated filing some material from the right side of the sight so he can drift it some more.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 02-11-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I find that both of my G19.4s have had to have the rear sight slightly nudged right in order to hit where I’m aiming. This is confirmed by sticking a laser boresighter on the end of the barrel and confirming that its actually pointing where I’m wanting it to go. I use the boresighter as a “pre-zero” when I install the sights. I then test in live fire at the range to confirm. This happens to be the same laser boresighter that Dave Dawson uses and sells on his sight, so its not garbage.

Now sure, there are times when I push shots left and right, but I can attribute those issues to faults in sight picture, grip mechanics, and/or trigger control mishaps.

For the record I’m cross dominant (right handed, left eyed) and have an astigmatism in both eyes.

Kyle Defoor has had some interesting experiences in zeroing Glocks. Check his blog.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter
    I used to need to shift my Glock sights to the right. The more I learned about proper grip and trigger squeeze, the less necessary this became. Today, I center my rear sight using a digital caliper, and when I check it on the range, it is right where I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I believe @GJM has also had some interesting experiences with zeroing pistols. Particularly what works for him vs for his wife.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

If the sights appear mechanically centered, but the pistol consistently shoots off, try more or less finger. Verify over multiple sessions, considering sun angle and ammo. If that doesn’t fix it, adjust the sights.

My eyes require a slight right delflection of the rear sight on most every handgun, and have for the last thirty years. I can drive shots right or left by pressing the trigger differently, but prefer the sights zeroed to my neutral triggger technique.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm pretty simple. If it shoots to the same POI when I use either hand as dominant, I adjust the sight. If POI moves if I switch hands, I don't.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm pretty simple. If it shoots to the same POI when I use either hand as dominant, I adjust the sight. If POI moves if I switch hands, I don't.
    That is a great point. With my slight right deflection, my zero is consistent freestyle, right or left hand only.

Interestingly, while I need a slight right deflection with iron sights, and my wife does not, we share the same zero with an optic equipped handgun or long gun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Chuck over at P&S said on one of the podcasts that he needs Dawson adjustables on every single Glock he has when he switches out the barrel to a KKM (presumably more accurate) for both elevation and windage.

When you put that in perspective... It's actually quite impressive that Glocks as a whole shoot comparatively pretty straight with only a little bit of a slight right rear sight for some users.

Before hearing his experience, I always assumed a sight should be centered in the slide.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 02-11-2018 at 10:11 PM.

User Tag List