Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Iron Sight Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Chuck over at P&S said on one of the podcasts that he needs Dawson adjustables on every single Glock he has when he switches out the barrel to a KKM (presumably more accurate) for both elevation and windage.

When you put that in perspective... It's actually quite impressive that Glocks as a whole shoot comparatively pretty straight with only a little bit of a slight right rear site for some users.

Before hearing his experience, I always assumed a sight should be centered in the slide.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    I see significant enough differences at 25 yard POI between different 9mm ammo in my MOS competition pistols, that I am sure to be zeroed at 25 yards with my match ammo. As an aside my G5 34 MOS pistols are shooting five shot, 25 yard off hand groups with American Eagle 115, well under two inches.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just a quick question are people experiencing this with just Glocks?

I mean are people grouping left(mechanical zeroed sights w/ right hand shooter) with glocks then picking up another different gun and shooting POA/POI?

Either way if I were to seriously carry a Glock again it is going to have a RMR dialed in to a specific carry load.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm pretty simple. If it shoots to the same POI when I use either hand as dominant, I adjust the sight. If POI moves if I switch hands, I don't.
    Related: When I got my M&P40, I found that I shot it best with the large backstrap. When I later picked up an M&P45, I installed the large backstrap out of the box, and it worked fine shooting with both hands...but then I did some SHO/WHO drills, and found it pulled in one direction WHO (I forget which direction) where the 40 didn't. Replacing the backstrap with the medium took care of that.

As for the previous discussion, insisting that all pistols shoot to POA with the sights centered and when they don't it's always due to shooter error assumes that tolerance stack does not exist. Modern handguns are designed to be assembled without fitting and to work in nasty conditions. That most of them do shoot to POA is amazing. That some of them don't is hardly surprising. And that some folks can't hit squat and blame it on the gun is normal.

Well, I’m taking MDFI’s YSINTG! in April, so I guess we’ll see just how crazy/wrong I am by having my rear sights slightly deviated to the right.

It would be nice to finally have a definitive answer once and for all.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I'll just post this picture again where 3 different types of ammo hit to 3 different places on the target. I wish the groups had been a little tighter, but it is what it is.

It is plain to me that I would have to adjust the rear sight to one side or the other in order for each type of ammo to hit center.

edit to add: As I remember it, these were 25 yard groups shot back to back with the same Glock 17.

Name:  IMG_1350.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  33.1 KB
    Last edited by BN; 02-12-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Just a quick question are people experiencing this with just Glocks?

I mean are people grouping left(mechanical zeroed sights w/ right hand shooter) with glocks then picking up another different gun and shooting POA/POI?

Either way if I were to seriously carry a Glock again it is going to have a RMR dialed in to a specific carry load.
    When I shoot my Glocks........all my Glocks except my G26, I have to really get dialed in to my trigger press to keep from pushing left. It's not the gun.....it's me as I can switch over to left hand two hand shooting and push right.

Now with M&Ps, it wasn't as bad but still I had to really get dialed in to keep from pushing shots.

Just got a Sig P320 and although I don't prefer it over Glock or Smiths, I do find that I don't have to focus so much on the press with either the base model or the X carry.

So for me, some models are more forgiving of "shooter error" that I cause.

Regards.

Site Supporter
    Although I generally like Glock ergonomics, the grips do tend to encourage grabbing the gun with one’s hand too far towards the side of the hand which is used as the primary shooting hand, rather than lining up the central axis of the barrel with the central axis of the forearm. This seems to be at least in part due to the arch at the bottom of the grip.

In my case, the problem was likely magnified by previous revolver shooting using grips which put too much material over the back strap, encouraging the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

What gets me is that with rifles we zero a particular rifle to a particular load and shooter, how is this concept that much different for a pistol? Sure if all you’re shooting is to 7yds, then it hardly makes any difference. But if you’re shooting to 25 yds and beyond, I’d say it makes plenty of difference based on plenty of variables.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

For me personally, that is correct to a certain extent.

At the 7 yard line, if I am shooting one inch dots or two inch dots, and trying to stack all shots in the same torn, ragged hole, then my trigger press is much more important than my sight picture and alignment. My trigger press and my trigger press alone determines if that next shot goes in that first hole. That's for me......and me only.

However, if I am shooting at a Q target for qualifications at the 7 yard line, then very little of that applies as I pretty much can point shoot and hit it.

I do shoot a lot from the 50 as well as the 100 yard line, off hand, with my service pistol as well as other carry pistols at a 12x20 piece of AR500 shaped like an IDPA target. If I miss, I always miss left at those yard lines. Just like dot drills up close, I will push left if I get lazy and let my trigger press wane back to my old ways.

Some of my Glocks have the rear sight drifted right....some don't. I've got 8 of them in different calibers/models/sizes and I really didn't get them dialed in until I bought a MGW sight pusher and the shoes for the 42/43 models. One range day, I took them all and bench rested them at 25 and all of them needed some adjustment except the 26.

Now they are all dialed in to how I shoot them. They are either centered (26) or just slightly to the right. None are drifted left. That tells me that it is indeed still "me" and not them in the relationship.

Hope this makes sense.

User Tag List