Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High(er) Velocity 380 Bullets in a 9mm. Do They Work?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Try 90gr XTP. At approx 1000 fps from a .380 Beretta 85 it fragments and penetrates just shy of 12".
    I've shot the Barnes 95gr TAC XP 9mm loaded by Wilson Combat into gel. Running about 1,200 fps that bullet does 9.5" after passing through clothing. Not a 380 bullet in length but it is in mass.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    So I'm not sure what all this proves. I guess my takeaway is the Barnes TAC XP bullets are pretty darned amazing. Here's a bullet that's being pushed probably a good 400 fps faster than it is designed for and it is staying together and coming out of the gel with 100% weight retention.

I'm still curious about what it'll take to get the bullet going fast enough to penetrate to a 12in minimum. Maybe next time I'll try the Ruger PCC. See what a 16in barrel does to velocity.

I should also test the load out a little in my SIG 938. The load may have some value in the pocket gun.

With my homebuilt 16" PCC (AR 9mm) I was hoping to run one load which is my normal 9mm minor load. I found that this load runs 150 FPS faster than in my 5" barreled pistol. This is with e3 powder which is very fast burning. A more conventional powder I would think would be an even bigger increase. The serious USPSA gamers are reducing their loads and still not getting down too far in their PCC guns.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 03-16-2018 at 10:24 PM.

I loaded up some Sierra 90 HP's in 9mm with a heavy dose of CFE pistol. These loads are in major 9 territory and I got an average velocity of 1781fps. I fired two bullets into clear gel and both came in just under 9 inches. The recovered weights were 41gr and 39gr. Lead and jackets started tearing off at about the two inch mark. No sign of pressure so I could probably bump up the charge but the over all length was so short it didn't like to feed in the Glock 17 I was using. That was fun but now I think I will slow it down and see if I can turn it into a mild recoiling steel load.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I loaded up some Sierra 90 HP's in 9mm with a heavy dose of CFE pistol. These loads are in major 9 territory and I got an average velocity of 1781fps. I fired two bullets into clear gel and both came in just under 9 inches. The recovered weights were 41gr and 39gr. Lead and jackets started tearing off at about the two inch mark. No sign of pressure so I could probably bump up the charge but the over all length was so short it didn't like to feed in the Glock 17 I was using. That was fun but now I think I will slow it down and see if I can turn it into a mild recoiling steel load.

Far out. Maybe back the velocity down a couple hundred feet and see if you can get a couple more inches of penetration out of it?

Last edited by Tokarev; 03-19-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    So I'm not sure what all this proves. I guess my takeaway is the Barnes TAC XP bullets are pretty darned amazing. Here's a bullet that's being pushed probably a good 400 fps faster than it is designed for and it is staying together and coming out of the gel with 100% weight retention.

I'm still curious about what it'll take to get the bullet going fast enough to penetrate to a 12in minimum. Maybe next time I'll try the Ruger PCC. See what a 16in barrel does to velocity.
    Very interested in what you find!

I've always wondered what a well constructed lighter weight bullet would do in a 9mm carbine.

User Tag List