Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Obscure guns and variants that hold your interest

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I always felt like a middle-aged Eastwood would have made a good Flint. But maybe Tom Hardy could do it today? He was so good in Bronson and Lawless, I think he could channel the reckless aspects of Flint well.

I've read virtually everything L'amour wrote and I tend to agree that Flint is one of his very best. Flint, Ferguson Rifle, and First Fast Draw are three of his very best...ironically they're all F-titles...I think I re-read each of those once every 18-months or so.
    Liked the Sackett series too...Jubal was my favorite...leading me into another obscure firearm design that interested me...

A pair of Italian made, repeating flintlock pistols that kept ball and powder in the grips. Point the gun down, turn a lever, which drops a ball and powder charge and primes the pan.

L'amour had some damned cool firearms in his books... everything from Walch revolvers, Dance & Park cartridge conversions, Smith #3s , Prescott Navy revolvers, the various carbines, (loved the Ferguson Rifle) Spencer 56-50s...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have this weird thing about revolvers in semiauto calibers. This has led me to accumulate:
    -S&W Mountain Gun in .45 ACP
    -S&W 625 with a 3" barrel (also .45 ACP)
    -S&W 610 in 10mm/40 SW
    -S&W 910 9mm J frame
    -Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 10mm/40 SW
    and my most recent acquisition, another Blackhawk in 45 Colt/.45 ACP

It's a sickness and I have no adequate explanation.

Does anyone remember a series about a dynasty of gun makers? I believe the family name was Morse.

I remember Scottish Highland pistols featuring prominently--steel frames, and they were made in left and right pairs. ever since, I thought Highland Pistols were very (excuse me) verra cool.
    There was also a volume in which Patrick Ferguson showed up, and wound up roundly excoriated by a colleague for "cheating" on his rifle design. (IIRC, deliberately overbored to allow for fouling.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Palisut View Post
    I have this weird thing about revolvers in semiauto calibers. This has led me to accumulate:
    -S&W Mountain Gun in .45 ACP
    -S&W 625 with a 3" barrel (also .45 ACP)
    -S&W 610 in 10mm/40 SW
    -S&W 910 9mm J frame
    -Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 10mm/40 SW
    and my most recent acquisition, another Blackhawk in 45 Colt/.45 ACP

It's a sickness and I have no adequate explanation.
    I have the same sickness but I only have a 5" 625 at them moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    There was also a volume in which Patrick Ferguson showed up, and wound up roundly excoriated by a colleague for "cheating" on his rifle design. (IIRC, deliberately overbored to allow for fouling.)
    I don't remember that one? But I know when people started trying to build Ferguson replicas in the '60s-70s they forgot to give them some extra tolerance and ended up building single shot guns that needed cleaning after every shot. Turns out the taper and threads that Ferguson used for the "bolt" were quite intelligently chosen and that a simple straight screw will not function effectively when dealing with the fouling nature of black powder.

I mean, not that I ever looked into Ferguson replicas or building one...and certainly not because Ronan Chantry carried one...

Suppressed Swedish K.

Got to fiddle with one briefly on active duty.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I’m a sucker for revolvers chambered in 32 long. It’s fun to shoot and easy to hand load. I have two detective specials and a police positive special in the caliber and would love to add a S&W to the collection. I also have two Ruger carbines in 44 mag, an old Deerslayer (serial number 103) and a first year 77/44.

I just found this after watching the (also super cool) Forgotten Weapons XM8 video (guest starring Larry Vickers).

I'm really impressed; Ian McCollum looks and sounds as if he's been routinely detail stripping AN94s all his life...

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

I mean, not that I ever looked into Ferguson replicas or building one...and certainly not because Ronan Chantry carried one...
    Wow, I missed this thread. The Ferguson rifle really caught my interest when I was bored and surfing the interwebs. Several YouTube videos and muzzleloader forums later, I was hooked. The Rifle Shoppe, offers a Ferguson rifle kit. It's pricey. If I thought I could build one without it turning out like the model airplane kits that I tried putting together when I was twelve, I'd take a crack at it.

The flèchette rifles from, I think, Project SALVO, were interesting. Some weird designs there.

I'd like to snag an 1895 Winchester saddle ring carbine in 30-06. It'll go with my "someday to be scouted", sporterized 1903 Springfield.
    Add to the list an Automag, a Bren Ten. The S&W Hush Puppy Model 39 & 59 based pistols used in Vietnam would be cool. My grail might be a full Stoner 63 system. Those being unobtanium, a Robarm M 96 Expeditionary rifle would be kind of cool. The S&W M&P R8 is the subject of an irrational desire, as is a 329 and, for some reason, a 16" Marlin 1895 in 45-70

Many moons ago, had a chance to run 500 rounds through a pre production HK XM-8 in full auto when a local company was making experimental optics for them. We melted the handguard enough that it drooped noticeably . Good times, good times.

User Tag List