Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 brass to the face

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Robinson, your gunsmith can fix the problem by using a file to alter the ejector's shape. I had assumed that you did not have a good smith.
    Yes I have access to a gunsmith who has done some good work for me in the past. However, brass to the face is not always caused by a problem with the ejector which is why I asked for input here. Ejector, extractor, recoil spring -- any of these can cause or contribute to the problem. I originally just wanted to ask whether there is a way to tell if the ejector might be at fault by examining it. I mean aside from an obvious bent ejector that is.

Site Supporter
    I installed a Wilson Combat flat wire recoil spring and plug in the gun and test fired it this week. With the original RSA I had brass to the face about 7 times during the shooting session. This time with the WC parts I was pelted only once. So it's an improvement if not a total fix. It's puzzling since the extractor tension is good and the ejector looks straight and properly shaped. Plus there have been zero malfunctions of any kind in the first few hundred rounds. I'm not sure the issue is worth more time/effort/money to diagnose at this point.

Site Supporter
    Perhaps what's left is tweaking face of ejector.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Yes I have access to a gunsmith who has done some good work for me in the past. However, brass to the face is not always caused by a problem with the ejector which is why I asked for input here. Ejector, extractor, recoil spring -- any of these can cause or contribute to the problem. I originally just wanted to ask whether there is a way to tell if the ejector might be at fault by examining it. I mean aside from an obvious bent ejector that is.
    If the ejector contact face is longer on the bottom than the top it will have the tendency to kick cases up. As mentioned earlier a little work with a file can remedy a problem with an ejector. Some gunsmiths/builders and shade tree smiths will file the ejector so it is ever so slightly longer both on top and inboard. This starts the case ejecting in the desired direction.

Also ejector length comes into play. Where and when in the extraction cycle the case contacts the ejector matters. Longer ejectors start the ejection process sooner.

Slide velocity also contributes. Lightly sprung guns have faster moving slides and the breach face can smack the ejected case back at you if the case does not clear the port fast enough. (See ejector length.)

FYI
    http://www.egwguns.com/1911-parts/ex...-38/9mm/40-ss/

http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/ejector.html
    Last edited by JohnO; 02-24-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the info.

After extractor claw fit and tension have been addressed, a big contributor to erratic ejection is extractor "clocking". If the firing pin stop does not hold the extractor firmly in place, you will experience erratic ejection.

User Tag List