Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 38 Special HST 130gr +P in Organic Gel

Outstanding work Tokarev!

Just as I suspected, the test conducted by Guns.com and Mrgunsngear was way out of line to what they should have gotten. Your results were very similar to what I got in Clear Gel.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Great job! Glad to see you're putting those gelatin molds to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Great job! Glad to see you're putting those gelatin molds to good use.

Alright. The bullets have been removed from the gel. I have them weighed and measured.

The bullets all lost at least one petal. But the part(s) that broke off are small pieces of the lead core. None of the jacket material appears to have been lost. The small pieces all broke off between about five and eight inches in the gel.

Here are the three HST bullets on the left. The Winchester 110gr JHP bullet is on the right and is included for comparison.

The HST bullets all lost a few grains of mass but it probably wasn't enough to radically change the outcome.

The Winchester bullet's weight wasn't photographed but it was 109.6 grains.

And here are the expanded diameters. All three bullets show a jacket that's peeled back against the shank of the bullets. The exception is one petal on one bullet. It didn't roll back fully but rather sticks out just a bit.

And here's the Winchester bullet. Again just for comparison.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 02-10-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Overall pretty good performance. It will be interesting to see what happens when this load is shot from something with a longer barrel. Will the bullet penetrate deeper or just open that much faster and penetrate even shallower as a result?

These bullets are all opened up about as far as they will probably go at about 850 fps. It makes me wonder what the minimum expansion threshold is.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 02-10-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Which one of the HST's in the first pic and in the pics with the caliper were fired through the clothing? BTW, thanks for doing the test!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Alright. The bullets have been removed from the gel. I have them weighed and measured.

The bullets all lost at least one petal. But the part(s) that broke off are small pieces of the lead core. None of the jacket material appears to have been lost. The small pieces all broke off between about five and eight inches in the gel.

Here are the three HST bullets on the left. The Winchester 110gr JHP bullet is on the right and is included for comparison.

The HST bullets all lost a few grains of mass but it probably wasn't enough to radically change the outcome.

The Winchester bullet's weight wasn't photographed but it was 109.6 grains.

And here are the expanded diameters. All three bullets show a jacket that's peeled back against the shank of the bullets. The exception is one petal on one bullet. It didn't roll back fully but rather sticks out just a bit.

And here's the Winchester bullet. Again just for comparison.

I am now carrying this HST load. It has less recoil than RA38B and shoots poa/poi in both my J's.
    Makes wadcutter like holes in paper too.

Are they selling in 50 round boxes yet or just the 20 round ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Are they selling in 50 round boxes yet or just the 20 round ones?
    20 as far as I know. I don't see anything else listed on the Federal website.

Well done!

Next time, try using 4 layer denim rather than heavy clothing. It is a better engineering test to assess robust expansion.

Consider working up to 5 shots in BG, 5 shots in 4 LD, and perhaps eventually 5 shots against auto windshield glass--then you will have covered all the bases for assessing a defensive or duty load.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List