Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Documented LEO use of Knives

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I recall in the Academy we were told to always carry a knife, and done so with this scenario:

Suicide in progress, you just walked in and he stepped off the chair. He's hanging from an extension cord. What are you going to do recruit? How are you going to get him down and get him breathing? HE'S FUCKING DYING, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO RECRUIT?

This was in response to that actually happening, and the officer trying to hold the guy up to keep the weight off the noose until a second officer arrived and they could cut him down. At this remove, I don't recall if they told us if the guy lived or died, but the image of holding a person choking to death in a noose while you struggle to hold him up stuck with me well enough I never went on duty without a blade, and one with serrations to make cutting an extension cord easier.
    I used a brand new Boker fixed blade to cut down a guy who hung himself with an extension cord. It cut like a champ!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Tell him you use it to unjam the copier.

He’ll understand that and may start carrying a knife also.

Ya just got to talk on their level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice article
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I witnessed an office Stab a guy with a miniature crossbow Arrow.
    Back in 1980 or 81 ... Drug dealer who had it on the table of his living room.
    Than they threw him down a flight of stairs .. happened so fast I did not see a thing.
    The dealer went to grab it and that was a big mistake.

I was in charge of the Security of a complex in a shit part of town and had keys to let the Cops in the back way.
    I laughed so hard I almost threw up.
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 02-10-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Site Supporter

Documented LEO use of Knives

I apologize for the smart response that’s not helpful.

I can’t imagine going on duty without a good knife for prying and cutting chores. I used a knife a lot on patrol, crime scenes and search warrants.

I remember one night I ran over a trash bag that wrapped up round the drive shaft of the patrol car and made a horrible banging and thumping noise. I needed a knife that night.

I wish I could remember more and be more helpful.

I really have unjammed a copier with a knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by serialsolver; 02-10-2018 at 10:46 PM.

While I imagine there are others teaching on the subject, we brought in George Williams of Cutting Edge Training to an initial end user and instructor courses.

How about "I'm a man, and men carry tools they use every day to work in this world." Seriously. What man doesn't carry a damn knife??

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    How about "I'm a man, and men carry tools they use every day to work in this world." Seriously. What man doesn't carry a damn knife??
    It does boggle my mind as well. I can remember getting my first knife in 1978 and I don't think I have been without one since......even in public schools as that was quite commonly found in a kid's pocket dump back in the day.

I can remember my grandfather handing me a small whet stone and teaching me how to maintain my knives.

A small SAK, three blade whittler, etc goes everywhere with me.

On duty, aside from the aforementioned defense use of the knife, I have used mine countless times on seatbelts at crashes, airbags, cutting debris off axles, cutting plastic bumpers free of cars to prevent waiting for wreckers, packages, rope.........I would estimate I cut something weekly on the job.

Hard core uses I grab my Leatherman Surge and use either the serrated blade or the plain blade.

Delicate everyday stuff I use my Case carbon whittler.

I carry two folders for defensive use and they rarely get used as I want them to stay battle ready sharp. One is a concealed Spyderco Para 2 and the other is a Spyderco Tenacious. So technically, I carry four knives on me on duty.

Not having a single blade? The horror!

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    True dat. I started at about age 7 and have carried one since.

Thanks, grandpa.

I've posted the following elsewhere but it is germane to the above:

From an old volume in my bookcase, "On Your Own In The Wilderness" by Colonel Townsend Whelen and Bradford Angier (1958):

"The most indispensable tool for a hunter or fisherman or camper, and in fact for any outdoor man and boy anywhere, is the knife-a businesslike knife, sharp and keen. Mrs. Whelen's aunt, who taught high school Latin for thirty years in Nebraska, had the right idea. She asked every class, "Which boys have a jackknife in their pocket?" The ones who had none did not rate very high with her.

Her philosophy was that if a boy did not have a knife and know how to use it, he was not likely to grow up able to do many things for himself...I have had a knife like this in my back pants pocket ever since I was knee-high to a chopping block."
    Last edited by blues; 02-11-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    True dat. I started at about age 7 and have carried one since.

Thanks, grandpa.

I've posted the following elsewhere but it is germane to the above:

From an old volume in my bookcase, "On Your Own In The Wilderness" by Colonel Townsend Whelen and Bradford Angier (1958):
    I still have my totin chip card around here somewhere. One of the first big lessons of being responsible in life...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

User Tag List