Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Documented LEO use of Knives

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Or, just tell him you use it to keep your fingernails clean, so you can look professional. Stupid questions from stupid idiot deserve stupid answers.
    I was checking my weapons at a secured area one time, and when I put my pocketknife in the lockbox the officer looked at me and said (in an alarmed voice), "a knife? Why on earth do you have that!?"

I couldn't help but to blurt out, "Was that a serious question?" and walk away mouth agape.

I'm carrying a gun, but God forbid I have a fucking pocket-knife on me.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Ask him if there are any documented cases of a police radio saving an officers life, and why does he bother carrying it?

Or, just tell him you use it to keep your fingernails clean, so you can look professional. Stupid questions from stupid idiot deserve stupid answers.

Chalk it up to learning lesson. He's not the only asshole out there that's eyeballing your equipment, just this asshole runs his mouth and isn't interested in hurting you. If that knife is in public view, you should probably fix that. At a minimum it'll save you from stupid questions.
    Good point on concealing the knife. A few years ago (2010) an Austin, TX police officer was slashed in the neck with his own knife, a Ka Bar TDI during a struggle with a suspect. Ka Bar re designed the sheath of the TDI and added a retention lock as a result of this incident.

http://thinblueflorida.com/?p=2622

https://www.austinchronicle.com/dail...y-apd-updated/

Wilson caught up with Pierce a short time later (near the intersection of Shreveport Dr. and Campos Dr.) and a "struggle ensued," said APD spokeswoman Anna Sabana. During the struggle, Wilson attempted to tase Pierce, and Pierce allegedly grabbed a knife from Wilson's duty belt and cut the officer's neck. Wilson was then able to draw his firearm, and shot Pierce. Pierce ran off and was found deceased nearby.

Wilson was taken to the hospital with a severed carotid artery among other injuries, but is expected to make a full recovery. At a Friday press conference, Asst. Chief David Carter credited quick action by back-up officers for saving Wilson's life. Both Wilson and Smith have been placed on administrative leave, as is standard procedure in an officer-involved shooting, while the department investigates the incident.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-10-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I was checking my weapons at a secured area one time, and when I put my pocketknife in the lockbox the officer looked at me and said (in an alarmed voice), "a knife? Why on earth do you have that!?"
    I recall in the Academy we were told to always carry a knife, and done so with this scenario:

Suicide in progress, you just walked in and he stepped off the chair. He's hanging from an extension cord. What are you going to do recruit? How are you going to get him down and get him breathing? HE'S FUCKING DYING, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO RECRUIT?

This was in response to that actually happening, and the officer trying to hold the guy up to keep the weight off the noose until a second officer arrived and they could cut him down. At this remove, I don't recall if they told us if the guy lived or died, but the image of holding a person choking to death in a noose while you struggle to hold him up stuck with me well enough I never went on duty without a blade, and one with serrations to make cutting an extension cord easier.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I recall in the Academy we were told to always carry a knife, and done so with this scenario:

Suicide in progress, you just walked in and he stepped off the chair. He's hanging from an extension cord.
    It wasn't an extension cord but a friend did just that. EMS was a couple minutes behind him, but if he hadn't had a knife clipped in his pocket that would have been enough to time to kill the guy. I used mine to cut two old ladies out of an overturned car, slip the door lock to get to an elderly woman who couldn't get to the door, and about a zillion other things.

It seems like some people are always, "You've got a knife?! The horror!" Until they need one for any task and then it's, "Hey, Hambo always has a knife."
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It seems like some people are always, "You've got a knife?! The horror!" Until they need one for any task and then it's, "Hey, Hambo always has a knife."
    At least one. I usually had a pocket knife clipped to my pants pocket...and a small neck knife.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thank you for the links!

As a friendly reminder always make sure electrical cords are unplugged before cutting them. If someone is hanging by wires and your not positive that they are dead, that's the wires not the person, leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It wasn't an extension cord but a friend did just that. EMS was a couple minutes behind him, but if he hadn't had a knife clipped in his pocket that would have been enough to time to kill the guy. I used mine to cut two old ladies out of an overturned car, slip the door lock to get to an elderly woman who couldn't get to the door, and about a zillion other things.

I use my knife to cut my Chipotle burritos in half, lot less messy than trying to rip one in half in a squad car.

Just as bad as the knife is getting asked for an extra flashlight.
    Last edited by txdpd; 02-10-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I m not logged in much, but PM me if you want any advice on how to write policy and how to get past some hurdles. I spent several years on this exact subject.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/wea...ting-edge.aspx
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List