Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Documented LEO use of Knives

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    I think the problem might be your agency or chief -

The SOCP knife is condoned and encouraged at my agency. Our agency supported an agency wide group buy from Benchmade direct. This after one of our deputies was forced to use a knife to defend himself after being shot with his own gun.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc...ty_injure.html
    I don't carry magazines in an open top carrier anymore. I got in fight, bad guy grabbed a magazine, hit me in the head with it, and I got lucky that all I needed was stitches. That guy was trying to get away, he didn't go out of his way to try to hurt me. He could have easily killed me. I don't know anyone else that it's happened too, but anything you carry is fair game to be used against you, so don't make it easy. I don't give a shit about the politics. Leaving a knife hanging out there is asking for trouble. Not the I got talked to by my supervisor kind of trouble, the I didn't make it home at the end of my shift trouble. Idiot officers asking idiot questions and ninny citizens making ninny complaints, are giving a pretty big clue that someone is doing a pretty lousy job protecting themselves. Out of sight, out of everyone's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by NMPOPS View Post
    Also as a side note in my career, I investigated more than a few stabbings 1 involved a Buck 110, another involved a SAK and all the remainder involved the use of kitchen cutlery.
    I don't think I've seen many stabbing with knives (semantics shemantics). Lots of cuttings. As rare as they are, homeless on homeless screwdriver attacks are almost always fatal since they getting deep and making lots of holes.
    Last edited by txdpd; 02-19-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I’ve heard of a female officer in the central Texas area that got in a tussle with a BG, he got behind her in kinda a bear hug position, and she reportedly drove a pushknife through his hand ending the attack. IIRC age might have been grabbing for her gun.

I carry my knife clipped into my waistband in a bladerigs sheath. It’s in a weak hand appendix orientation. With my external carrier and duty belt on it’s pretty hard to see and grab if your a bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I don't carry magazines in an open top carrier anymore. I got in fight, bad guy grabbed a magazine, hit me in the head with it, and I got lucky that all I needed was stitches. That guy was trying to get away, he didn't go out of his way to try to hurt me. He could have easily killed me. I don't know anyone else that it's happened too, but anything you carry is fair game to be used against you, so don't make it easy. I don't give a shit about the politics. Leaving a knife hanging out there is asking for trouble. Not the I got talked to by my supervisor kind of trouble, the I didn't make it home at the end of my shift trouble. Idiot officers asking idiot questions and ninny citizens making ninny complaints, are giving a pretty big clue that someone is doing a pretty lousy job protecting themselves. Out of sight, out of everyone's mind.

I don't think I've seen many stabbing with knives (semantics shemantics). Lots of cuttings. As rare as they are, homeless on homeless screwdriver attacks are almost always fatal since they getting deep and making lots of holes.
    Interesting experience...
    The person that uses a knife off their vest to save their life has a different opinion on the matter than somebody who has had their knife taken away. You cannot eliminate all possibilities that may result in getting hurt in this job and you cannot fully prepare for the counter to every possibility either. Each person should carefully evaluate what/how they want/will protect themselves and prepare accordingly.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 02-20-2018 at 02:33 AM.
    A71593

Just as a follow up. I sent a list of the links to the Officer that made the comment. He was impressed that I reached out and provided a list of the documented uses. I think he is going to start carrying a back up knife now.

User Tag List