Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Documented LEO use of Knives

Documented LEO use of Knives

I carry a benchmade SOP-C knife on my vest and one of the senior officers in my squad asked me why I have it. I told him I have it in case I get in an entangled fight on the ground and and I need to go lethal and I can’t get to my firearm. He then asked if there are any documented LEO uses of knives. I have done some searches on google, but most of the news articles I have found have been why cops should not shoot people with knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea of the documentation. The Uniformed LEO's (including the days when one in my family was), would keep them on them as seat belt cutters. I will have to ask if they still carry it as a detective/plain clothes.
    Something you might be able to find.

I'm afraid I can't help with your exact question, but one of our DT instructors beat a guy to death with elbows to the face.

He did a lot of MMA in his free time...in essence, he reverted to what he trained with when he responded to a domestic and found himself in a small kitchen with a dude trying to stab him.

So, it's not a knife use but it's still a close quarters combatives kill. Our instructor noted that a weapon, such as a knife, would have been a much better way to end the fight.

Personally I don't carry an exposed knife on my vest when performing warrants (I'm plainclothes, not uniformed patrol) for the same reason I cringe when I see guys wearing exposed trauma shears. It's a weapon of opportunity for you to get stabbed with, very easily so, and is hard to defend even if they don't get it on the first attempt. I still carry a knife, though, but more for utility/rescue tool use.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I believe John Benner at TDI may have some documented cases of his knife being used in self-defense by officers.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Craig Douglas a/k/a southnarc would have some on file.

If memory serves, Nashville Metro had a save against a gun grab attempt with one of their officers just a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    I believe John Benner at TDI may have some documented cases of his knife being used in self-defense by officers.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Craig Douglas a/k/a southnarc would have some on file.

If memory serves, Nashville Metro had a save against a gun grab attempt with one of their officers just a few years ago.
    Yep:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/15132531/m...ed-at-a-urinal

Without getting into specifics, we had an officer a few years back to use a KaBar TDI? (that fixed blade model) to cut a suspect off of him who was actively beating him down on the pavement. If I remember right, the suspect had achieved top control and was fornicating our guy up pretty good. He then was pulling on his holstered firearm so hard it was lifting the officer up off the ground.

Our guy sliced him pretty good......not fatally as that would have been a much better ending to the encounter....but enough to distract him long enough for back up units to arrive and beat the hades out of the guy as he would not submit.

They got him cuffed and our guy survived with minimum damage.

I'll try to find a news article. My old tail has forgotten the officer's name.

Edit: About the time I typed that, his name came back to me.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...eating_of.html
    Last edited by lwt16; 02-10-2018 at 11:13 AM.

I can recall two incidents in recent history and if I can find my notes, I can offer some details.

One involved an attempted disarming (in a restroom IIRC) and the LEO deployed a folder and stabbed the guy in the thigh.

The other involved a fixed blade in a situation where the Officer was pinned down in a shallow creek with the BG straddling him. In that case, he just stabbed until the BG broke off the assault, IIRC.

ETA: I see a link was provided by TC215 on the restroom incident while I was typing.

Here's another one (no real details, though):

http://www.news9.com/story/20617711/...o-grab-his-gun
    Last edited by 41magfan; 02-10-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

http://www.iacombatives.com/2018/01/...se-of-a-knife/

LEO use of knife in defense is third story down in links in article but the article itself has more info that may help your search.

Ask him if there are any documented cases of a police radio saving an officers life, and why does he bother carrying it?

Or, just tell him you use it to keep your fingernails clean, so you can look professional. Stupid questions from stupid idiot deserve stupid answers.

Chalk it up to learning lesson. He's not the only asshole out there that's eyeballing your equipment, just this asshole runs his mouth and isn't interested in hurting you. If that knife is in public view, you should probably fix that. At a minimum it'll save you from stupid questions.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    DKU: West Virginia State Trooper uses knife in fight for his life

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2...-for-his-life/

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/03/18/tr...ndolph-county/

Nathaniel Wegman, 27, who was wanted on an outstanding warrant for burglary in Indiana. After Wegman fled on foot, Cornelius caught up to him when he jumped into Mill Creek.

“There was a struggle that ensued and caused the trooper to fall and hit his head,” said West Virginia state police spokesman Lt. Michael Baylous. “When he did, Mr. Wegman attempted to choke him, drown him, and to murder him right there.”

As his head was being held underwater by his throat Cornelius was unable to reach his gun, which was pinned under his body. Instead he grabbed his knife and used it to thwart the attack.

“He was able to stab him a couple of times in the abdomen area and the chin,” Baylous said. “It caused some pretty significant wounds.”

Wounded and bleeding, Wegman left the area in a vehicle driven by Laura Lynn, 32, of Mooresville, Ind. A bystander who wasn’t involved in the incident came to help Cornelius.

“It’s my understanding he had either lost consciousness at one point or was about to lose consciousness,” said Baylous. “Had it not been for this person who came and helped him, he very likely could have drowned.”
    Last edited by HCM; 02-10-2018 at 01:17 PM.

User Tag List