Thread: Academy Instructor Questions

Academy Instructor Questions

For lead instructors: Do you teach everything of have assistant instructors teach various things?

How many different drills do you use per skill? If that makes sense to you.

I will probably add to this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jaym_100 View Post
    For lead instructors: Do you teach everything of have assistant instructors teach various things?
    Depends on class size, but if there are more than about 5, multiple instructors and rotate.
    For a basic peace officer class, many instructors rotating and alot of one on one coachimg

How many different drills do you use per skill?
    Fundamental skills?: several
    Trigger control?: 20 or more
    High speed stuff?: skip it and go back to trigger control
    Last edited by car541; 02-09-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Agree that the answer depends on class size. For larger groups, we always found it best to assign a group of cadets to a particular AI. In a classroom setting, there is nothing wrong with having AIs teach blocks of instruction.

One of the key requirements for any supervisor is developing their subordinates. That means AIs should be able to actually teach and not just serve as safety officers on the range saying words they don’t understand.

Multiple drills for each skill set is best, depending on how much time you have, ammo allocation, cadets or in-service, etc.

Site Supporter
    I always called it a blivet . It’s easy to make a list of what to teach. The fun part is picking what to cut out because you only have X number of hours. ie the blivet- ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag. But my experience was with training after the academy so probably does not apply. Any instructor should be able to teach each section. It’s important they each teach from the same script so nothing gets missed
    Last edited by Poconnor; 02-10-2018 at 09:31 AM.

User Tag List