Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Grip pressure for a new shooter

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    If you're crushing your grip, how can you have a sympathetic squeeze when you're already at max? That's one of the benefits of a crush grip.
    In theory, that's true. Not so much in practice. Most people (in my experience) can't keep 100% of their possible grip pressure, and keep it neutral, while working the trigger. The slightest deviation allows the sympathetic movement.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    In theory, that's true. Not so much in practice. Most people (in my experience) can't keep 100% of their possible grip pressure, and keep it neutral, while working the trigger. The slightest deviation allows the sympathetic movement.
    This is also my experience. I might be able to maintain that crush grip for a few magazines. Beyond that I get accelerated fatigue and will start getting sympathetic squeezes without realizing it simply because I’m trying to keep that crush grip down and can’t because I’m tired. Relaxing the firing hand enough to isolate the trigger finger allows much more consistent neutral pressure for longer.

Try shooting SHO using a crush grip for 50-100 straight rounds. You’re probably going to eventually start slinging rounds low-left (or low-right) because you’re either loosening up too much or you’re squeezing the trigger with your whole hand.

Again, my experience. YMMV.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

Try shooting SHO using a crush grip for 50-100 straight rounds. You’re probably going to eventually start slinging rounds low-left (or low-right) because you’re either loosening up too much or you’re squeezing the trigger with your whole hand.
    So don't fire 100 rounds SHO straight (how often does this occur?) with a crush grip because your hand will become tired causing a looser grip. So instead just have a looser grip? Not tracking with quite a few of you.

So don't fire 100 rounds SHO straight (how often does this occur?) with a crush grip because your hand will become tired causing a looser grip. So instead just have a looser grip? Not tracking with quite a few of you.
    Shooting SHO/WHO I find “firm handshake” strength and stiffening my arm seems to help manage recoil and keep shots consistently where I want them.

Shooting freestyle I find “firm handshake” strength strong hand and crush grip with support hand gives me good recoil management and allows me to isolate the trigger finger well enough.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter
    This is what I've seen and experienced myself, or at least this is how I interpret it. The shooter grips as hard as he can with his strong hand. This causes him to lose some control of his trigger finger. He struggles to press it straight to the rear, and he struggles to move it with much speed. He definitely struggles to press it straight to the rear while working the trigger quickly. So he starts paying even more attention to working the trigger and his grip pressure backs off some. Not enough that he's gained any control, but enough that part of the hand can apply more pressure than other parts. That allows the sympathetic squeeze to move the gun as the trigger is pressed, because part of the grip ramps back up towards 100% while part doesn't. If his trigger finger is hooking low-left his other fingers follow that path and bring the gun with it. I experienced this when my support hand was injured and i tried compensating by crushing with my strong hand. Even with not being able to grip hard at all with my support hand I still shot better by not crushing it with my strong hand.

User Tag List