Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm full size .40 Middle child or Workhorse?

Finding the fit

Quote Originally Posted by Akc47 View Post
    ...Only issue is the 17 rd. mag only taking 15 rds., but it worked. Took it apart and cleaned. Didn't see anything with my untrained eyes. ..

Are factory sights set for sight position 1, 2 or 3? At 25 yards, most of my shots were hitting 1 inch high but 4 inches left using picture 2. Do the sights need adjusting or is it likely my grip / trigger pull?...
    I am glad everything worked well for you!

If you get a chance to obtain or borrow an UpLula loader you might find that the 17 rounder will hold 17, but must be coaxed for a few loadings.

PX4 full sized pistols are zeroed in @25 yards. Compacts and SubCompacts are zeroed in @15 yards. There should be no windage (left to right) variation unless the sights are not mechanically centered on the slide. A visual inspection could determine that.

I have found that heavier bullets hit a slight bit higher. @10 yards a 180 grain bullet might hit an inch higher than a 165 grain loading. PX4s are designed for self defense or combat usage. Therefore, the sights are made for a dot alignment. Fast acquisition is enhanced that way. A bullseye pistol might have a 6 o'clock hold (by as much as 2") for that type of shooting.

I have found that placing the top edge of the front sight right at the POA (point of aim) will produce a POI (point of impact) centered on that top edge. The PX4 is capable of bullseye shooting. I do a few mags of precision bullseye shooting each session. It will produce a group of 1.5" @10 yards free standing, hand held.

As to whether there is shooter error or getting used to the pistol that is causing windage inaccuracy.... It is possible. Too much or (usually with a DA/SA) too little finger on the trigger can affect that. A grip that is not having both hands agreed on straight forward and tightly or rigidly keeping it that way during trigger pull can cause a problem.
    I have also found that seeing the sights clearly enough to accurately determine the centering of the front sight is not as easy as one might hope.
    I would make sure that sight picture is very even first, then check yourself with snap caps. You can randomly place a couple of snap caps in your mag (or have a friend do it, so you really are surprised when it comes up). When you are shooting and responding to recoil and want for the perfect shot... that snap cap will show you where your sights are going and when. You can see if it is flinching or post ignition push.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 08-03-2020 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    PX4 full sized pistols are zeroed in @25 yards. Compacts and SubCompacts are zeroed in @15 yards.
    With which sights and where did you find that info?

Zeroed

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    With which sights and where did you find that info?
    This is the factory setting that pertains to original sights when the pistol is being manufactured. I got this information from Beretta.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    This is the factory setting that pertains to original sights when the pistol is being manufactured. I got this information from Beretta.
    Important information, as my understanding is on the Compact Carry, when EL was working with Ameriglo, he sighted for longer ranges then that.

It also left me wondering about the bright and tough night sights, that were sold installed on some PX4's with factory night sights (AFAIK, mostly police packaged guns).

different sights

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Important information, as my understanding is on the Compact Carry, when EL was working with Ameriglo, he sighted for longer ranges then that.

It also left me wondering about the bright and tough night sights, that were sold installed on some PX4's with factory night sights (AFAIK, mostly police packaged guns).
    Since the Ameriglo sights were custom-made for the Compact and then for the full size, you would have to inquire at LTT to see what preference they chose for zeroing. The same might be for any of the additional sights offered.
    The information that I shared does only pertain to the original factory sights. If other variations of sights were produced with the pistol from the factory, one might figure that they used the same parameters of zeroing.

Update on my full size 40

My full size PX4 Storm .40 reached a new mile marker this week. I pasted 20,000 rounds with it. It currently has 20,062 rounds on it in the picture here. I have had no failures or issues with it. I disassembled the slide and frame for a detailed cleaning and relubrication last week at 19,980 rounds. I'm using this full sized model most of the time as a range gun and carrying the PX4 Storm Compact in .40 caliber.

Name:  20000 round Storm 1.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  32.5 KB

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm SD View Post
    My full size PX4 Storm .40 reached a new mile marker this week. I pasted 20,000 rounds with it. It currently has 20,062 rounds on it in the picture here. I have had no failures or issues with it. I disassembled the slide and frame for a detailed cleaning and relubrication last week at 19,980 rounds. I'm using this full sized model most of the time as a range gun and carrying the PX4 Storm Compact in .40 caliber.

20,000 rounds of .40 is "vetting with a vengence." I worried about the longevity of the PX4 family when the first one came home from the LGS, but they just keep running.

Five-inch 9mm 1911s have been my "range toys" for the last few years, so most of my recent PX4 shooting has been with 9mm Subcompacts because they are what normally gets carried... and they are also the PX4 that requires more training on my part to shoot well. Because I am gradually shooting less - due to aging and ammo costs - I am considering backing away from the 1911s and making a full size PX4 my default range pistol, if only for the reason that the controls are identical to the Subcompacts.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Storm SD View Post

20k, very cool! It looks like you have changed levers and sights. Any other upgrades? Internals, hammer spring, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    20,000 rounds of .40 is "vetting with a vengence." I worried about the longevity of the PX4 family when the first one came home from the LGS, but they just keep running.

Five-inch 9mm 1911s have been my "range toys" for the last few years, so most of my recent PX4 shooting has been with 9mm Subcompacts because they are what normally gets carried... and they are also the PX4 that requires more training on my part to shoot well. Because I am gradually shooting less - due to aging and ammo costs - I am considering backing away from the 1911s and making a full size PX4 my default range pistol, if only for the reason that the controls are identical to the Subcompacts.
    I often use a full size PX4 Storm 9mm for training. I use it for one of the same reasons that you mentioned... ammo costs. The recoil feels very light with the full size PX4 9mm and it is easy on the hands. It could allow you to shoot longer more comfortably. My 9mm currently has 37,369 rounds on it and I have also had no failures or issues with it. The durability and dependability are great with these guns. And as you also mentioned, the controls are identical to the Subcompacts so you wouldn't have to re-think your training for what you carry.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    20k, very cool! It looks like you have changed levers and sights. Any other upgrades? Internals, hammer spring, etc?
    I don't have a lot of modifications on this one, but I do have a few. The sights are actually the standard factory sights, but the levers are the Carry levers. The Slide catch is also the low profile Slide catch. I put a D-spring in it at 8,381 rounds, so I am nearing 12,000 rounds with that spring and I really like the feel of the trigger pull with the D-spring. Those are all of the modifications I done with it. I use a spurless hammer on my Compact 40 and if I do any more modifications on this full size, that will probably be next.

User Tag List