Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm full size .40 Middle child or Workhorse?

Lever playing field

Quote Originally Posted by Akc47 View Post
    1. Install large mag release button ✅
    2. Install D spring ✅

Moving on:
    3. Install the LTT carry levers for de-cocker
    Here is my issue, both videos don’t use the LTT levers. The LTT levers come with a spring that is larger and looks nothing like the spring that comes out. I’m not sure what to do with it. Should I try to put it in like the other one? Don’t think it will work but maybe. I haven’t tried yet, the difference in appearance has me scared to take it a part.

Also, if you don’t need to take the extractor out, why do both videos do it?

I tied to post a pic of both springs but couldn’t do it. Smh 🤦*♂️
    The Carry levers, as all PX4 levers, use the same lever spring. There is no optional or different spring. The Carry levers normally don't come with a spring. Are you referering to the black paper clip looking thing that came on the levers? That is only a packaging devise to keep them together in shipping.

As to why so many people remove the extractor for lever replacement is probably the way internet things go. One guy did it once, now everyone is copying his and adding their own spin to seem original.

That is good to hear. I was visually comparing the spring they took out on the video to a picture on LTT’s website. I guess the picture includes pieces not to be installed. Thanks

1. Install large mag release button ✅
    2. Install D spring ✅
    3. Install carry levers ✅. Tip - Do not buy a $10 set of punches to do this, LOL. It took several hard smacks to get the roll pin out and back in again. That was the hardest part. Would have been a little easier if I had 3 hands.

Next: install Talon grips for the PX4. Then finish break-in. Then get Trijicon Bright and Tough night sights.
    Thanks for all the help and recommendations everyone.

Talons

...Next: install Talon grips for the PX4. .
    So far, so good!

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page10 <- post 91 could be of interest to you.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 07-25-2020 at 08:25 PM.

Most of you have probably seen this, but it was new to me and I found it very interesting. My question is, is the video a fairly good representation of how the PX4 works? Storm has done a detailed explanation that explains every part in the PX4, but this kind of shows how they all work together.

https://youtu.be/80fJ_O4t-UU

As a second train of thought, I bought some extra mags from Beretta when I bought the PX4 40. a 10 rd, a 14 rd and a 17 rd. The the loads up 10 rounds and seems to work fine. The 14 and 17 I have not shot yet, but I did try to load them with practice rounds last night. The 14 loaded with 14 rounds as it should. However, the 17 could only load 15 rounds. I unloaded and reloaded it numerous times trying to get 16 or 17 in it. The box clearly said 17 on it and this mag is longer than the 14 round mag. What could be the issue? Are others having this problem? Should I take it apart and see what is what or just send it back to Beretta since it is new?

Thanks.

Parts & mag stuff

Most of you have probably seen this, but it was new to me and I found it very interesting. My question is, is the video a fairly good representation of how the PX4 works? Storm has done a detailed explanation that explains every part in the PX4, but this kind of shows how they all work together.

https://youtu.be/80fJ_O4t-UU

As a second train of thought, I bought some extra mags from Beretta when I bought the PX4 40. a 10 rd, a 14 rd and a 17 rd. The the loads up 10 rounds and seems to work fine. The 14 and 17 I have not shot yet, but I did try to load them with practice rounds last night. The 14 loaded with 14 rounds as it should. However, the 17 could only load 15 rounds. I unloaded and reloaded it numerous times trying to get 16 or 17 in it. The box clearly said 17 on it and this mag is longer than the 14 round mag. What could be the issue? Are others having this problem? Should I take it apart and see what is what or just send it back to Beretta since it is new?

Thanks.
    The video you linked to is not bad. It does lack some nuances and timings that parts really do when interacting. However, for what it is, it could be a helpful tool in understanding part interactions. Different folks learn or absorb information differently. For those that soak it in better with a visual illustration, this could be helpful.

There have been some that have experienced trouble with the 17 round magazines in .40. We have not. My recommendation is to disassemble all new mags and clean them inside and out with rubbing alcohol. They come with a protective goop in them to prevent rust in storage or shipping. Once all of that is cleaned out they function better.

Sometimes the longer spring travel means more friction. I like to look over the follower (the polymer piece that actually pushes the rounds up) and check for burrs or molding over-fill. I have taken a diamond file (as one might use on finger nails) and smoothed it out a tiny bit (not changing dimensions). I would also recommend filling the mag and shooting it empty at least 5 times in testing at the range. That would smooth things and should cure the problem described. You could also put a little oil on the mag spring for the testing, but clean that oil off of the spring and box before using it for defense loads.

If it does not then work, then the mag might have a fault and Beretta will exchange or refund, even if you tested it at the range (in our experience). We have had troubles with SubCompact mags when they were having issues with them. They cheerfully switched them without hassle.

Are you using a load assistant, such as an UpLula? Trying to load new PX4 mags without an UpLula can be daunting for the first few times.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 07-28-2020 at 06:18 PM.

I’m just using the mag loader that came with the pistol.

That should work. It doesn't quite have the leverage, but it does give you enough assistance to eliminate that as a cause for the problem.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I will chime in here.

The magazine loader that came with our first PX4 was more of a suggestion than a help to me and Mrs. gn. One of the gents at the LGS/range noticed us making a hash of things and brought out an UpLula. Problem solved.

We now keep one in every shooting bag.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Got the Talon grips installed.
    Also had a few minutes to go to the range. Got another 60 rounds in (yes 60, not 600 like Storm, LOL). 60 rounds were from 5 different mags. No failures of any kind. Only issue is the 17 rd. mag only taking 15 rds., but it worked. Took it apart and cleaned. Didn't see anything with my untrained eyes. It really is a nice shooting gun. Are factory sights set for sight position 1, 2 or 3? At 25 yards, most of my shots were hitting 1 inch high but 4 inches left using picture 2. Do the sights need adjusting or is it likely my grip / trigger pull? Thanks

User Tag List