Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm full size .40 Middle child or Workhorse?

I do think shooting .40 can teach very good grip fundamentals. I've seen several DoW that were speed with precision oriented where I shot a tic slower but dropped fewer points with my G22 vs 9mm guns.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I have no idea what any of this means. If it sounds like I was prying then I will tell you I was not. I find your info credible and well-thought and was just wondering what the context of the observations were.

I do from a student who was attending Bill Rapier's class; not the biggest fan of .40 but it was nice shooting FS gun. Most of my experience with Beretta have been the abused items owned by Uncle Sam, but am really debating moving to the 92 or Px4 flavor.
    I meant nothing negative at all! I am trying to keep things focused on the topic at hand. I am new to this Forum and quite well like it. You have been kind and helpful in other interactions. No negativity intended.
    The "we" in my initial post consists of less than 10 students and myself. Being honest, I cannot say, I put those rounds on, if I did not. I do monitor all rounds fired and hardware maintenance. I only work with people that I know for years and can be positive that their intended use of the pistol is safe, legal and honorable. I also instruct them in other weapons, as well (depending upon their need). I do not mention having students because there are many well renowned instructors for people to access on PF and I do not want to put myself in that arena.

I carried the PX4 full sized .40 for 2 years. I now carry the PX4 .45.

I have always used the twin pistol method. I test and thoroughly evaluate a good specimen of the pistol I like. After an ample amount of rounds I clean it up to use it for an EDC. I then, get a twin pistol. I set it up identically and use it at the range for practice, tactical exercises and higher round counts. A "stunt double", you might say.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    If we’re just going to ignore questions or answer questions with questions, this is going to be a pretty lousy “discussion”. In general, if people want to post but not discuss (which typically involves talking to each other and answering questions), I’d encourage them to start a blog or post on FB.

And yes, we (the PF membership) generally prefer to have fewer longer threads and not a bunch of shorter threads that vary due to minutia. Yes, it makes the barrier to entry for participation higher, but that (reading a bunch before posting a bunch) is generally regarded as a good thing around here.

Carry on.
    I see your points. I cannot "take the post back", though.

I had frequently been in contact with @LangdonTactical and had heard from Chris Baker of Lucky Gunner about the Pistol Forum. I finally decided to join. I could not find more than the rules and FAQs, so I followed Ernest's example of multiple threads on more specific issues. I might have misunderstood by observation, but meant no harm.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-09-2018 at 06:45 PM.

i've always wondered about the "i must prove that this pistol is okey dokey before i carry it." mindset. do you give no credit to the manufacturer for doing proper design and testing? do you take no knowledge of the other pistols that are out in the wild that are being used by people everyday? no acknowledgement of independent testing done by various government bodies (who have far larger budgets than me).

when you buy a new car, you gas it up, check tire pressures, find the horn and radio buttons, and off you go. you don't first drive it 50,000 miles on a test track before taking it to the grocery store. you trust that it will do what you expect it to do.

sure, you might make sure your pet ammo load works fine (likely the gun maker has already shot everything commercially available in testing at some point) for your own peace of mind, but clean it up, load it up, and go.

me?

i carry a Beretta.
    Last edited by DAB; 02-09-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    i've always wondered about the "i must prove that this pistol is okey dokey before i carry it." mindset. do you give no credit to the manufacturer for doing proper design and testing? do you take no knowledge of the other pistols that are out in the wild that are being used by people everyday? no acknowledgement of independent testing done by various government bodies (who have far larger budgets than me).

when you buy a new car, you gas it up, check tire pressures, find the horn and radio buttons, and off you go. you don't first drive it 50,000 miles on a test track before taking it to the grocery store. you trust that it will do what you expect it to do.

sure, you might make sure your pet ammo load works fine (likely the gun maker has already shot everything commercially available in testing at some point) for your own peace of mind, but clean it up, load it up, and go.

me?

i carry a Beretta.
    DAB, I have experienced differently. I do trust Beretta, but as President Reagon said, Trust and verify.

When the PX4 first came out in .45 I got one. It was a lemon. Went back to Beretta twice until they refunded my money. I had a PX4 9mm that had to go back for feeding issues. I've seen 2 PX4s need to go back to Beretta for extractor issues. I've seen safety levers on SubCompacts stop working from the right side. My point being, humans are involved in manufacturing, things can happen. That is why I have extensive testing first.

me?

i carry a Beretta.
    Remington R51. SIG-Sauer P320. Initial Glock Gen4s. Smith & Wesson 9mm M&Ps......

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Remington R51. SIG-Sauer P320. Initial Glock Gen4s. Smith & Wesson 9mm M&Ps......

Best, Jon
    Walther CCP?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    do you give no credit to the manufacturer for doing proper design and testing?.
    Absolutely none. Because experience and history has said that's a terrible idea.

do you take no knowledge of the other pistols that are out in the wild that are being used by people everyday?.
    More than the manufacturer, but guns change without notice as well.

no acknowledgement of independent testing done by various government bodies (who have far larger budgets than me).
    Some more than others. I don't trust military contracts period, as politics matters as much (or more) than performance.

I honestly have zero interest in the PX4, but the poster seems to really be passionate about the platform and is doing some good work with it. It's interesting to me for that reason. I'm not shopping for a new platform and will continue with classic P-series Sigs for hammer fired and Glock for striker fired.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Do you make and shoot your own design?

Do you make and shoot your own design?
    DAB, If you could please clarify your question, I could more accurately respond.

In case this is it: I modify the Storms that are for my use the same. I install a Low Profile kit (levers and slide catch) and a Cougar D spring. I follow the same maintenance protocols as I do in .45 and 9mm.

My .40 does have Talon Grips, since my wife likes to shoot it or carry it, occasionally.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-09-2018 at 10:17 PM.

User Tag List