Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm full size .40 Middle child or Workhorse?

Storm, early in this thread you said you changed the D spring on your px4’s What is the purpose of this? I get the low profile levers. What is the approx. cost of these 3 changes? Can a newbie with average intelligence and YouTube do these mods? Thanks

DIY Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Akc47 View Post
    Storm, early in this thread you said you changed the D spring on your px4’s What is the purpose of this? I get the low profile levers. What is the approx. cost of these 3 changes? Can a newbie with average intelligence and YouTube do these mods? Thanks
    Since the PX4 Storm is sold internationally and often winds up with wide spread use in countries that have different standards of ammunition, some even using rifle primers, the factory hammer spring is very strong. Since double action (and to a small degree single action) must overcome the hammer spring tension, it makes for a heavier trigger pull. It does make the hammer come down like a vault door closing and will ignite any functioning primer, but in the USA and places where ammunition standards are more handgun friendly, it is not necessary.

The Beretta Cougar (one of the forerunners to the PX4) had an optional D spring for the DAO model. The part is the same as the PX4 in size and coil count. Beretta sells this spring as an option for those that are not using ammunition with behavioral issues. This simple spring change (DIY for ~$10) will usually drop the double action pull to 8# instead of the normal 10-11#. SA will usually drop from near 5# to near 4#. A lighter spring will also cause less wear and tear on internal parts, reducing tension.

Other options also include hammer springs from LTT. A 12# spring will give excellent results and the chrome silicon additive will add longevity. There is also an 11# spring that has been good for many people, but can be a little more picky about some ammo types in some pistols. There is also a 10# being introduced. I look forward to seeing feedback on it. These spring are made on the coil count and length of a model 92, so pound comparison is not easily applicable. These CS springs when gotten from LTT also have a polished end to help with consistency. CS springs from LTT are in the same $10 range (if memory serves).

I have 88,700 rounds on the current D spring in my PX4 .45 G with no light strikes.

Low profile levers are attractive to most people because of the smaller size, making the pistol slimmer. There is also the problem some have had with the sharpness of the stock levers. This is not a poor decision on Beretta's part, however. This modification was requested by State Police to be able to function levers with winter gloves on.
    There are 4 types of levers for the PX4. The stock and model 92 style can be type F or G. The Carry levers and Stealth levers are type G only. Individual levers average ~$45, give or take. Changing levers yourself is easily doable, depending on your personal dexterity, mechanical inclination and patience. Most people find it simple enough.

The low profile slide catch is the same story. Slimmer and more out of the way. The only exception I have found was that my wife (who has 9,400 rounds on her EDC PX4 SubCompact & 13,810 rounds on her range double) had a hard time using the low profile slide catch that the Sub comes with on her range pistol and put on the high profile for better results. A low profile catch averages $28.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 07-09-2020 at 07:03 PM.

While I'm pretty sure this is not a .40 S&W gun, I ran into this video fairly recently about the PX4 that seems to have some good information

Storm, I intended to buy a full size, but lack of market inventory pushed me to the compact. Is there another thread like this for compact or can I continue to post questions and range results here?
    Thanks for the video JTQ

Either way

Storm, I intended to buy a full size, but lack of market inventory pushed me to the compact. Is there another thread like this for compact or can I continue to post questions and range results here?
    Thanks for the video JTQ
    There is a thread about the PX4 Compact. It is about the 9mm, but a lot of things specific to the Compact.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....DA-SA-Glock-19

You can also continue to post questions, observations and range reports here, because this thread is about the PX4 .40 caliber.

Either way is good.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 07-10-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Lubrication

@Akc47 , I would recommend taking a look at lubrication suggestions here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ull-size/page3 in post 27.

Though it pictures a full size PX4 it is the same for a Compact. Correct lubrication enhances reliability, protects ammunition and clothing and makes your investment last longer.

Thanks. I will bookmark that page. You said Beretta recommends 200 to 300 rounds to break it in. Any particular type of ammo or should I use several varieties?

Have you done any YouTube videos on maintenance for the full size? I’ve watched several LTT videos. I plan to do some upgrades to it (levers, D spring and sights) but will not change anything until break-in is complete.

For carry / home defense, what ammo do you use? In other semi’s I use hornady critical defense, but I have one Ruger that hates critical defense. I use sig in it. I have a lot of federal hollow points in 40 already also.

One last thing (for today), does anyone make a 9mm barrel that can be dropped into the 40? I thought I read in one of these thread “no”, but it would be great to have that option.
    Last edited by Akc47; 07-10-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Break-in, etc.

Thanks. I will bookmark that page. You said Beretta recommends 200 to 300 rounds to break it in. Any particular type of ammo or should I use several varieties?

Have you done any YouTube videos on maintenance for the full size? I’ve watched several LTT videos. I plan to do some upgrades to it (levers, D spring and sights) but will not change anything until break-in is complete.

For carry / home defense, what ammo do you use? In other semi’s I use hornady critical defense, but I have one Ruger that hates critical defense. I use sig in it. I have a lot of federal hollow points in 40 already also.
    During break-in I usually use whatever target loads of inexpensive FMJ cartridges I would use for practice. After a few shooting sessions, testing it when a little dirty, when I have lubed it, then cleaned and lubed I will test my defense ammo in it. I use Winchester White Box in 165 grn, Federal Champion 180 grn and Remington UMC 180grn as target fodder.
    I use Federal Premium HSTs in all calibers. I use the 180 grn in .40. Never a problem with bullet set-back or failures of any kind.

I do not have any YouTube videos, but... In this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....on-usage/page3 in post 24 I break down maintenance recommendations.

One last thing (for today), does anyone make a 9mm barrel that can be dropped into the 40? I thought I read in one of these thread “no”, but it would be great to have that option.
    Thanks, I will bookmark all these pages.

.40 only

In post 49 of https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page5 we see that the slide is cut out differently. Also, the breech face is cut out differently on a .40 from a 9 mm and so you would have to replace the slide, barrel, rebound spring, etc. It would be cheaper to get a separate pistol. There's certainly no kit to be able to go back and forth.

User Tag List