Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm full size .40 Middle child or Workhorse?

Quote Originally Posted by Akc47 View Post
    The sights were very functional in bright sunlight, but since this will be home defense I would like to get the Trijicon HD Night Sights at some point (if I can find the right gunsmith).

Thanks to everyone for putting up with all my questions. If the full size ever gets back to sub $200 I see a second PX4 in my future, LOL. Is Beretta the best place to buy the low profile safety lever and the large mag release?
    The HD sights are not well liked on the compact. POI/POA tends to be off by all the reports I have read. There are three options:
    The Ameriglo's that are on the compact carry. (bright orange around a night sight front, no vial blacked out rear).
    EU00081 off of Beretta's sight, which I think are Ameriglo's, three dot.
    Trijicon Bright and tough, model BE14, which were are specifically for the compact, where BE10's are on the full and subcompact size police PX4's I have.
    I prefer to have vials in the back sight. On my most recent PX4 project, I am putting the B&T's and have the front Hackathorned, while blacking out the rear white rings. See: Trijicon-Front-Sight-Option-by-Tooltech-Gunsight&p=644001#post644001

Until the G carry levers came out, @LangdonTactical, ground and sold the factory levers, closer to the G carry levers, and called them FUGLY levers. You could do the same, or try a WTB post, and see if someone upgraded. as they would allow the gun to remain F, if you replace the ball and spring.

Just checking in here. I've had a PX4 in .40 for about a year now. Purchased it dirt cheap as a police trade in, and mainly to use as a MantisX dryfire trainer, and I wanted a .40 for variety. I really enjoy it (I'm a glock guy)! I actually pulled the trigger group out last night (with the digital help of EL and PX4 Storm Tracker) and gave it a good cleaning. It was filthy internally, to the point the trigger action was noticeably better afterwards. Can't imagine how good it would be with a TJIAB. I also snagged some ammo recently, which reinforces having a little caliber variety in the safe in times of panics.

Storm -

- I very well may have touched the slide release lever. It was the second round of the second mag, so I was still thinking about 20 things, mostly where the rounds were landing on the paper and not grip fundamentals. That one "failure to load" doesn't really bother me unless it becomes a habit.
    - On the stealth levers - If the 92 style are wider than the stock levers that came on it, I don't want those. So I guess if I get the G stealth levers and decide later I want the F safety feature, I can always switch back? If so, I'll try the G stealth.

BeenALongTime - Thanks for the sight feedback. The Trijicon B&T interest me the most but all three colors look the same, white. Do the tritium colors only show up at night? Yellow front / Green Rear would be my choice.

Rev Chuck - Is this the D spring of which you speak? https://www.langdontactical.com/d-model-hammer-spring/

A little TLC can help

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert1035 View Post
    Just checking in here. I've had a PX4 in .40 for about a year now. Purchased it dirt cheap as a police trade in, and mainly to use as a MantisX dryfire trainer, and I wanted a .40 for variety. I really enjoy it (I'm a glock guy)! I actually pulled the trigger group out last night (with the digital help of EL and PX4 Storm Tracker) and gave it a good cleaning. It was filthy internally, to the point the trigger action was noticeably better afterwards. Can't imagine how good it would be with a TJIAB. I also snagged some ammo recently, which reinforces having a little caliber variety in the safe in times of panics.
    I have seen double action in a PX4 lowered by a pound by cleaning and lubricating the fire control unit (hammer unit, trigger group). Excellent feedback, thanks!

levers

... - On the stealth levers - If the 92 style are wider than the stock levers that came on it, I don't want those. So I guess if I get the G stealth levers and decide later I want the F safety feature, I can always switch back? If so, I'll try the G stealth....
    When you remove your stock levers to install any other levers, you can always put them back on later. If you remove the detent ball and spring from the left lever shaft- that cannot be undone. It is a factory install part than cannot be put back in. But, since you don't want to convert your original levers to type G, that won't be a problem and the detent ball will not come out by accident.

As to your term "Stealth" levers, that refers to the lowest profile levers (type G only). These are very low profile and some folks have a hard time decocking with them. Less lever = less leverage. There was a problem with that until LTT came up with the Carry levers. The Carry levers are type G also, but are low profile while still giving a little more lever to activate. Much easier.

Left to right: Stealth, Carry, M-92 style, stock

Name:  Lever options.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  52.9 KB

Left to right: Stealth, Carry, M-92 style
    Name:  Levers (1).jpg
Views: 170
Size:  53.1 KB

You might also find that the slide catch levers will seem bigger after installing lower profile decocker levers. On a Compact you would need to either get low profile ambi levers from LTT or a single (left) side only lever from Beretta and a frame plug for the hole left by the right's absence.

Stealth levers can be gotten alone or in a kit. The kit has a Stealth lever set and low profile slide catch. If you get the Carry levers they come as just the levers.

I run Stealth levers on my EDC PX4 .45 & .40 and Carry levers on the others. My wife also has M-92 style levers on her Compact, but Carry levers on her EDC SubCompact.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 07-16-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Awesome info. Storm. I think the Carry levers are what I want.

Carry levers

Awesome info. Storm. I think the Carry levers are what I want.
    That is what I would recommend. After about 80,000 rounds with the Stealth levers on my PX4 .45 range pistol I switched to the Carry levers. They are so much easier to use.

Shameless self-plug for anyone looking to try Stealth levers:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....18#post1084518
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Storm, is the D spring I referenced above the right one for the compact to lower SA trigger pull weight?

D & SA

Storm, is the D spring I referenced above the right one for the compact to lower SA trigger pull weight?
    All PX4s can use the same hammer springs. Post 66 here -> https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page7 explains why.

The D hammer spring will affect the single action a little. Normally dropping the weight from around 5# to 4# on average. The PX4 has a true single action. Many other DA/SA pistols do not. They have the trigger lift the hammer a little before dropping it. A Beretta does not have to move the hammer. This makes for a crisp, real single action. It also means that the hammer spring weight affects the SA less. The double action will feel its effect more.

If you find that your single action is heavier than you prefer, a Competition Trigger Group from Beretta or a TJIAB (trigger job in a bag) from LTT would affect that more.

User Tag List