Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm full size .40 Middle child or Workhorse?

Moving to EDC

After putting 2719 rounds through my PX4 Compact .40, I've decided to do a full disassembly of the slide and frame, clean it, lubricate it, and use it as my EDC. It took me a while to become comfortable with it, but I finally feel that I am consistent and accurate with it. The only parts that I will replace as I reassemble it are the rebound spring and the decocker lever pin.
    Last edited by Storm SD; 04-15-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    [B]
    The Ugly: There is a strange anomaly that I’ve often seen with the magazines in .40s (14 rounders). When they are filled, the inner coils go into the outer coils and stick to themselves a little. This makes a rattling of loose ammo. A Ninja could not sneak up on a music festival with that on his belt. You sometimes can take out a round and pump it up and down a few times, put the round back in and be fixed. I have tested shooting when it was rattling... shot just fine. Recoil reset things.

I was going to write that I’ve never seen any other caliber do that. Then, a few hours ago when my wife picked up her SubCompact 9, it did it. She disassembled the mag and switched to a different duty mag... pending inspection.
    I have a 9mm mag for my PX4 Compact that I just noticed is rattling like crazy. Hmmm... does Mec-Gar make these for Beretta and merely operate under a non-compete clause? Or does Beretta or someone else make them?
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

Mags

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I have a 9mm mag for my PX4 Compact that I just noticed is rattling like crazy. Hmmm... does Mec-Gar make these for Beretta and merely operate under a non-compete clause? Or does Beretta or someone else make them?
    The last that I had heard, Beretta magazines for the PX4 are made by Mechanica Del Sarco. We had one time that a 9 mm SubCompact magazine did that rattle briefly. We disassembled it, cleaned it, made sure the springs were connected top and bottom well and repacked the magazine and it did not do it again. @Storm SD is currently shooting a full size PX4 .40 at the range and carrying a PX4 Compact .40. I'll ask if he is getting any rattles.

@PX4 Storm Tracker, I haven't had an issue with magazines rattling with either the full size or Compact magazines. I use 3 range mags and I alternate between 4 carry mags and haven't had the rattling issue with any of them.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    The last that I had heard, Beretta magazines for the PX4 are made by Mechanica Del Sarco. We had one time that a 9 mm SubCompact magazine did that rattle briefly. We disassembled it, cleaned it, made sure the springs were connected top and bottom well and repacked the magazine and it did not do it again. @Storm SD is currently shooting a full size PX4 .40 at the range and carrying a PX4 Compact .40. I'll ask if he is getting any rattles.
    I think I figured it out.

I took the magazine apart and everything looked fine. I reassembled & reloaded it and some of the rounds were still loose. I checked each round for bullet setback and reloaded the mag two more times. Then I took another magazine and did the same thing. Some of the rounds move around, but they're not always in the same place (or the same number of rounds moving). These are 90 gr. 9mm Underwood XD rounds.

So I started wondering if that has anything to do with it. Those Phillips screwdriver-like fluted bullets make the cartridge a little shorter than my Hornady Critical Duty rounds (so there is a tad bit more room for the cartridge to move forward & aft in spots where the rounds aren't as compressed as the spring and magazine box start changing dimensionally as the mag tapers (allowing for even more movement, and generally towards the top in witness holes 8, 6, & 4). You can hear the rattle when the 9mm XD mag is loaded with 14+1 or 15 (with an empty chamber), but nothing moves when it is loaded 15+1 (as the 15the round is under more tension).

I then repeated all this (and more) loading up the magazines with my longer 115 gr. 9mm Critical Duty rounds. I just loaded up 14 at first and could barely hear it. In fact, in retrospect that might have been the magazine insert or floorplate retainer (whatever it's called in a Beretta vs. Glock). When the 15th round was in it was silent. I took them out and put them all back in again and got the same tight silent 15 rounds. I did this quite a few times (loading and unloading), and on one occasion 1 Hornady round moved (having loaded the magazine up with 15 rounds) and then 2 rounds moved with only 14 rounds, but this only happened one time each; and because they are longer cartridges, there is not as much distance to cover front & aft in the magazine case so the sound was less pronounced than with the XD rounds. In fact, I tapped the mag to make sure everything was seated after putting the 15th round in and it went completely silent (even without one in the chamber). I did this a few more times with the same effect (and now I am done playing for the time being).

I'm chalking it up to the shorter XD rounds at this point. That doesn't explain why the Hornady rounds seem to pack tighter (without even loading the magazine into the pistol). The bullets seem to be more consistent with one another than my cheap calipers (but how would I really know), but when they do move, the XD bullets do so more often and are noisier because they slam the case with more force.

Lastly, there are a few of other noises going on in the pistol while being shaken under normal circumstances, so when this bullet movement is occurring simultaneously with the play between the slide & frame, the play between the magazine & frame, and whatever noise the floor plate and/or insert/retainer shouldn't have been making, the ensuing cacophony makes for a perfect storm (pun intended). Now that I think about it, something similar happened once with my P229 using Underwood XD rounds (I just never bothered to get down to the bottom of it at the time). That's my story anyway, and I am sticking to it.
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

shaking things up... or not

@sheepdog , great information! Thanks for sharing that.

Considering PX4 40

Everyone, great thread and exactly what I have been looking for, people who know the px4 40. I currently have a Glock 22 in 40 and an xdm in 40. Their intended purpose is home defense. The Glock is primary, the xdm is backup. I also have several 9mm and a couple of 380’s and a slew of revolvers. I carry the 380’s in summer and the 9mm in winter. But as I have gotten older and developed wrist and hand problems, the 40’s have gotten more uncomfortable to practice with. I know I could switch to the 9mm but I want to see if there is a 40 solution. I started looking for a softer shooting 40. My research led me to the px4 with its rotating barrel.
    So, my first question is, 1) is it really softer shooting? This thread leads me to believe it is. Can anyone estimate if it is closer to a 9mm or just slightly less than a normal 40?
    2) this thread also leads me to believe it is near 100% reliable with proper cleaning and maintenance. Are new guns normally trouble free?
    3) I thought full size would be best, but some people seem to prefer the compact. Is the compact softer shooting or is it preferred by some for another reason? I can’t wait to learn from you guys and I hope this is the gun for me.

Considering px4 40 as my next purchase

Hello everyone. Nice to meet you and I’m glad I found this thread. Due to hand and wrist issues I’m thinking of selling my XDM 40 and buying the px4 40 as its replacement. Can anyone provide feedback on how much “lighter” shooting the px4 is over a normal 40 due to the rotating barrel? Does it have other features that reduces felt recoil? Thanks in advance.

.40 for the 40+

Quote Originally Posted by Akc47 View Post
    Hello everyone. Nice to meet you and I’m glad I found this thread. Due to hand and wrist issues I’m thinking of selling my XDM 40 and buying the px4 40 as its replacement. Can anyone provide feedback on how much “lighter” shooting the px4 is over a normal 40 due to the rotating barrel? Does it have other features that reduces felt recoil? Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to the Forum!

The PX4 Storm .40 is softer and lighter recoiling than other pistols because of a few things. Just how much lighter is subjective, but it seems like a lot in my experience. The rotating barrel keeps the slide and barrel locked together longer than standard tilt-lock pistols. This allows more energy dissipation. Since the barrel does not tilt, (which transfers shock off line) muzzle flip is less. The rebound spring has a buffer and the recoil is transferred lower in the frame, farther back, minimizing muzzle flip. The weight distribution and shape of the back of the grip also contribute to the softer recoil. The slide mounted levers allow a higher grip on the frame, assisting as well. Grip angle is more conducive to wrist health with a PX4.

There are a couple of things that can help this more. Choosing the correct backstrap of the 3 that come with it helps to spread the recoil throughout your hand better. Adding the rubberized Talon grips for under $20 also cushions shock. Lighter weight bullets have less push-back. Changing guide rod assemblies every 4,000 rounds helps avoid shock.

Reliability is excellent with all types of quality ammo. Worthy of a self defense or home defense weapon.

It will recoil sharper than a 9mm PX4, but not as much of a difference from standard 9mms. It is still a .40.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 06-30-2020 at 02:27 PM.

User Tag List