Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm full size .40 Middle child or Workhorse?

New Spurless Hammer on the .40

I am still using my PX4 Storm .40 as my EDC. This last weekend, I replaced my factory hammer with a spurless hammer. I tested it with 100 rounds of Federal Champions yesterday and it worked perfectly. After range cleaning it, re-lubing it, and putting it back on duty, I have been wearing it today. I sit at a desk a lot and never thought that the factory hammer pressed into my abdomen much until that spur was absent. The spurless hammer is much more comfortable than the factory hammer while sitting.

Name:  Spurless hammer installed.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  15.2 KB

Name:  Spurless hammer installed 2.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  15.0 KB

Current round count: 15,980

I like the ergos and shooting characteristics of the full-size PX4 pistols just never really trusted their durability and reliability. Long slide 40 version would have been tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    I like the ergos and shooting characteristics of the full-size PX4 pistols just never really trusted their durability and reliability. Long slide 40 version would have been tempting.
    My personal experience for the reliability of the PX4 Storm has been excellent. I have used a PX4 Storm as an EDC for over 5 years now. As far as durability, I have a 9mm full size PX4 Storm with 9,697 rounds on it, my .40 that is pictured above with 15,980 rounds on it, my PX4 Storm SD in .45 with 37,120 rounds on it. All 3 of these are in very good condition and I plan to enjoy many thousands of rounds more from each of them. You'll find a lot of good information on durability under the thread "PX4 Storm .45 High round count, long duration usage" where @PX4 Storm Tracker has documented the usage of his .45 and currently has around 85,000 rounds on it. I hope some of this information can put some of your fears to rest about the reliability and durability of the PX4 Storm.

Vending Machine Operator
    My 2008 PX4 .40 fullsize is at about 12,000 rounds, one spring change and mag change at 6,000, nothing else changed ever. No breakages and a total of 2 stoppages ever. They are definitely not fragile.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 09-24-2019 at 10:27 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Full size .40 to Compact

Name:  PX4 Compact new.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  50.5 KB

I was able to acquire this PX4 Compact in .40 caliber this week for a good price. It was originally purchased 2 years ago, but the first owner put only 19 rounds through it during that time. I have been using a full size PX4 Storm .40 as my EDC. I plan to modify this Compact with the same modifications as my full size and, eventually, make this into my EDC. The shorter barrel and grip will be a little more comfortable and possibly be a little easier to conceal. So far, I have added a D-spring, converted it into a G model with decocker levers only, and added the larger backstrap (like I prefer). I plan to add a low profile slide catch, carry levers, and a spurless hammer. I shot 200 rounds through it without incident this week. It does have a pretty "snappy" recoil, which I don't mind, but the woman who originally purchased it thought it was too much for her and I can certainly understand why. I'll put a few hundred more through it before it becomes my EDC. I will be able to really compare the difference between the full size and the compact as an EDC soon.

Bullets

@Storm SD , since you will be moving to a shorter barrel, will you be using the same self defense loads for carry?

Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    @Storm SD , since you will be moving to a shorter barrel, will you be using the same self defense loads for carry?
    No. I carry the Federal HST's in the 180 grain in my full size .40. I plan to carry the Federal HST's in the 165 grain in the Compact. Federal advertises 1010 fps muzzle velocity for the 180 grain and 1130 fps muzzle velocity for the 165 grain. I will use the 165 grain to compensate for the loss in muzzle velocity due to the shorter barrel of the Compact.

Bullets

@PX4 Storm Tracker , Sir, in addition to the information I posted above, I watched some YouTube reviews of the Federal HST 165 grain .40 before making my decision. I found one review using a Smith & Wesson Shield .40 with a 3.1" barrel. This was the closest comparison that I found to the 3.2" barrel of the PX4 Compact in .40. This is the link if you'd like to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9jWLpm9R4Q. The average muzzle velocity from the 3.1" barrel was 1029.6 fps with 388.487 ft-lbs of energy using the Federal HST 165 grain. This was pretty close to the advertised 1010 fps from the Federal HST 180 grain using a 4" barrel.

extractor fitting

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Though I do not recommend anyone doing this at home...

When a round is coming up from the magazine it is tilted slightly upward. It will come under the extractor as it rises. It will need space to straighten out as it goes forward.

First, the rim must fit between the extractor and the breech face. I made the side of the extractor (not the claw yet) angled to enhance this induction. I polished and rounded the approach angle and deepened the space in the claw to allow for variations of rims.

Next, the casing must come up past the claw’s lower edge and fall into the curvature in the extractor claw.
    The claw on a .45 Storm is much shorter than that of a 9mm or .40. This is because the slide is cut out farther to house the .45. The 9mm & .40 are higher pressure rounds and need more breech face depth. This means that the extractor claws are longer, often too long in the wrong spot, if not manicured.

I created an induction curve and reduced the bottom protrusion of the claw and polished it. The top of the claw will space and retain the cartridge sufficiently, as will the center. By reducing the lower point of the curve and polishing it, friction and the need to overcome the spring are greatly reduced.

This made for smooth sailing for all cartridges of any brand. This also allows the strangely shaped bullet that occasionally comes up to have the space to readjust as it hits the top of the chamber.

I hope my explanation was not too confusing. It is a fine tune type of operation. Metal tempering was not affected.
    More questions have come up about this recently and I believe it is suitable to post pictures of the finished product. I still would not advise trying this if you are heavy handed or impatient, but here are some pics:

Name:  Range.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  17.3 KB
    Name:  SD 1.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  42.4 KB
    Name:  SD 3.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  39.4 KB

Update on the .40 Compact makeover

I have put a few rounds on the new PX4 Compact .40 since I purchased it. It currently has 1,319 rounds on it. I also added the Carry levers, a spurless hammer, and a low profile slide catch and frame plug. I have found the Compact a little harder to shoot with the same accuracy as the full size. Though I have improved with it, I still plan on spending more time shooting it and developing the same shooting skill with it that I have with the full size before moving it to become my new EDC. I will provide pictures below of the new look of my PX4 Compact .40

Name:  .40 Compact frame plug 2.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  .40 Compact low profile.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  .40 Compact Spurless hammer.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  28.8 KB

User Tag List