Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm full size .40 Middle child or Workhorse?

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    Too much bickering/bitching.

This thread needs more .40 PX4!

But currently this is sporting a standard FS Trigger group that I got off eBay.

I too was tempted by the Subcompact Type C .40s, but passed on it due to the tilt barrel instead of rotating. I’ve been on the lookout for a used .40 Compact, but those don’t seem to pop up much.
    What have you done with the sights?
    I have found a used one online, but then found a new one for not that much more (and the used missed pictures).
    So is this the D conversion, or a hybrid DA/SA without safety/decocker?

It is a Type C. First I did a little reshaping then did the stippling. The sights are old night sights with orange fingernail polish on the front. I put a standard trigger & trigger bar in with the Type C trigger group. That shortened the reset & restored double action/second strike capability. I’m not sure if I prefer that or the TDA trigger.
    Last edited by AdioSS; 02-13-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post

It is a Type C. First I did a little reshaping then did the stippling. The sights are old night sights with orange fingernail polish on the front. I put a standard trigger & trigger bar in with the Type C trigger group. That shortened the reset & restored double action/second strike capability. I’m not sure if I prefer that or the TDA trigger.
    Very impressive!

Take care of your Storm and it will take care of you!

I put about 1,000 rounds on my .40 this week and a half. Fun, reliable, smooth shooting... accurate!. One could get spoiled easily shooting this classy pistol. I was not able to keep my round count down to 300 per session, though.

Attachment 23845

Did anyone else get to shoot their PX4 Storm?

Pix???
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-17-2018 at 04:45 PM.

My range pistol and what I shoot most of the time is a PX4 Storm SD .45, but my EDC is a PX4 Storm Full size .40. I have the same modifications (D-spring, low profile levers and slide catch, modified to a G model) as I do on my range pistol. In my picture, I also include my other EDC items. The knives consist of a Cold Steel Black Talon in my left side pocket and a Cold Steel tanto Voyager on the right. I also have a spare 14 round magazine and the self defense ammo pictured is the Federal HST 180 grain.

Name:  EDC 1 (3).jpg
Views: 637
Size:  58.3 KB

While I don't have a PX4 Storm, I have been fairly heavily running my .40 HK P30L in V1 LEM, and, to a lesser extent, my HK VP40 and Gen4 Glock G22. I find both to be credible, reliable, and quite accurate with .40. HK's RSA setups do an excellent job in taming the recoil impulse, and do their increased slide weights....imagine that, increasing slide weight to ameliorate the .40 pressure spike, not just relying on jacked-up springing...

The Glock seems to run best (for me) with the Medium beavertail backstrap; it helps fix my hands and diffuse the recoil forces.

Good as these three .40s are, their ability to fire at speed is compromised by the inherent characteristics of the .40 cartridge; this becomes immediately apparent when you comparatively fire a similar 9mm in the same session...

Best, Jon

@JonInWA When I started shooting handguns, my first gun was a Beretta 96 (.40 caliber). I felt the recoil to be quite snappy with that one. I later had other brands and models of 9mm, .40, and .45. What I found was that though the model 96 was heavier, the recoil felt much more manageable in the full size PX4 Storm .40. I would contribute this to the rotating barrel. The direction of the recoil seems to push back into the hand and allow acquisition of the next shot to be easier when shooting a rapid sequence. However, I've seen that in self defense situations, the target changes (falls down, runs, shoots back, etc.) after the first 1 to 3 shots. Since this is my EDC, I wanted something with a bit more power. I found the .40 to be the ideal middle ground between the smaller 9 mm with higher magazine capacities and the more powerful .45 with lower magazine capacities. I use a larger backstrap on my .40 than what I have on my .45 and in this manner, the grips on the two pistols end up feeling the same to me. I've carried 9 mm, .40, and .45. I usually shoot a .45 at the range and occasionally the .40 in the same session. I rarely shoot a 9 mm in the same session, but to me, the .40 seems to be quick and easily managed after shooting the .45. I understand the reason for your preference of the 9 mm, but I still prefer the PX4 Storm .40 for self defense. Thanks for your input though Jon.

Putting some rounds on my PX4 full size .40 G

I’ve been putting some rounds on my PX4 Storm full size .40, type G recently. It was time to get it checked out and in shape.

I’ve been using Federal Champion 180 grn copper dipped cartridges and some 165 grn Winchester white box FMJs. I like the Federals better, they are more consistent and the same weight as my HSTs. The bore cleans up quickly and easily.

I had a few failure to feed issues caused by the extractor. It was poorly fitted and shaped from the factory. I took a new one, custom fit and shaped it. Now it runs like a sewing machine, eating everything and no slide hesitation.

I cleaned inside the slide and frame even though the round count is low, it is 6 years old.

It runs as smoothly as silk and I took the D spring from @Storm SD ‘s SD (which he retired from range use) that had 27,326 rounds on that spring. Trigger pull is around 6 lbs 3 oz DA and 3 lbs 12 oz SA.
    I’ll keep the D spring that was in it and is still only 3,460 rounds old in store for when the Storm .40 goes back to EDC duties.

I got new magazine springs for all .40 mags, including the range mags. The .40 seems to need new springs quicker than the .45. An indication of weak springs is failure to “nose up” on upcoming rounds.

Pistol round count 4,469

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I’ve been putting some rounds on my PX4 Storm full size .40, type G recently. It was time to get it checked out and in shape.

I’ve been using Federal Champion 180 grn copper dipped cartridges and some 165 grn Winchester white box FMJs. I like the Federals better, they are more consistent and the same weight as my HSTs. The bore cleans up quickly and easily.

I had a few failure to feed issues caused by the extractor. It was poorly fitted and shaped from the factory. I took a new one, custom fit and shaped it. Now it runs like a sewing machine, eating everything and no slide hesitation.

I cleaned inside the slide and frame even though the round count is low, it is 6 years old.

It runs as smoothly as silk and I took the D spring from @Storm SD ‘s SD (which he retired from range use) that had 27,326 rounds on that spring. Trigger pull is around 6 lbs 3 oz DA and 3 lbs 12 oz SA.
    I’ll keep the D spring that was in it and is still only 3,460 rounds old in store for when the Storm .40 goes back to EDC duties.

I got new magazine springs for all .40 mags, including the range mags. The .40 seems to need new springs quicker than the .45. An indication of weak springs is failure to “nose up” on upcoming rounds.

Pistol round count 4,469

What did you do to custom fit it?

User Tag List