Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm full size .40 Middle child or Workhorse?

I appreciate all of the feedback and descriptions which are helpful to establish a relationship I'm familiar with. Between the 9's the compact feels a little more lively but both are soft comparative to a Glock or Springfield with which I'm familiar. I've only had the opportunity to try 40sw with a Springfield XD which did have a bit more spice to it compared to the XD9 but it was only in follow-up speed that I felt most impacted which required a slightly more patient cadence.

Given the design of the PX4 it seems like an ideal platform for 40sw which has risen my curiosity.

Using “track the dot” for comparison, in 9mm, my PX4CC is flatter shooting than my Glock G19 GEN5 MOS and S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 4” OR. All three have a Holosun 407/507c. During recoil and slide reciprocation, the dot is easier to track and has less movement than the Glock or S&W. That is the only “data” that I have to back up me feeling that it shoots flatter. I would imagine that this would translate to the same results if all three pistols were in 40S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    The fly in the ointment is that I have been very spoiled by using a 41 ounce 9mm 1911 as the range toy. That thing is comfort personified with popgun recoil.

Even with a TLR-1 or X300 attached, a full size 9mm PX4 is going to weigh less than 32 ounces. I don't particularly want to get a 34 oz 92X and semi-permanently stick a light on it, but at least the controls would be similar to the PX4 and the weight a bit closer to the 1911.
    Almost sounds like you're looking for an 8040 Cougar. Barrel length is in the middle between the PX4 full and compact sizes and the aluminum frame is a touch heavier than the PX4.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    Almost sounds like you're looking for an 8040 Cougar. Barrel length is in the middle between the PX4 full and compact sizes and the aluminum frame is a touch heavier than the PX4.
    I have an 8040G (and an 8000F) and I really enjoy having them as part of the PX4's lineage. They are indeed a bit heavier and that's good advice if he absolute must have that weight.

However, I do think the PX4 is a roundly superior option to the Cougar. The recoil assembly is better thought out for maintenance and stripping and I honestly think the PX4 recoils more softly despite the reduced weight. I also believe the Cougar had a somewhat troubled track record for reliability whereas the PX4 has been established at this point as top-shelf reliable.

The Cougar's best advantage is the swappable grips, I definitely prefer my grippy metal Hogue Extremes on my 8000F to the PX4's stock frame.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    Hmmm... I hadn't even considered that possibility. Cougars have always been so rare in these parts that they slip under my radar.

In any event, I found a full-size 92X RDO at a decent price locally and had some trading fodder to boot, so I ended up with that.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I have an 8040G (and an 8000F) and I really enjoy having them as part of the PX4's lineage. They are indeed a bit heavier and that's good advice if he absolute must have that weight.

However, I do think the PX4 is a roundly superior option to the Cougar. The recoil assembly is better thought out for maintenance and stripping and I honestly think the PX4 recoils more softly despite the reduced weight. I also believe the Cougar had a somewhat troubled track record for reliability whereas the PX4 has been established at this point as top-shelf reliable.

The Cougar's best advantage is the swappable grips, I definitely prefer my grippy metal Hogue Extremes on my 8000F to the PX4's stock frame.
    The 8000 Series Cougar was Beretta’s real underestimated pistol. They made many improvements that most people are totally unaware of. Everybody knows the old 92 & many are finally learning the PX4. It was the first Beretta designed in CAD. The radiused grip of later 92’s came from the design of the Cougar. The Cougar was available in 4 calibers unlike the PX4. It was the only factory 357Sig Beretta. It was the first designed for .40 S&W instead of redesigned like the 96. It was the first .45ACP Beretta.

The later Stoeger Cougars got an updated recoil assembly that is closer to the PX4. It doesn’t try to fall apart on you when putting the gun back together. Hogue also offers G10 grips for the Cougar that feel great. And I’ve found that sights designed for the Vertec slide 92’s work very well on the Cougar. The earliest Cougar used a unique mag release, but it didn’t take Beretta long to redesign it to take the same mag release as the 92. And Stoeger offered the 8040T which got a light rail. The universal G kit that was only released a few years ago even came from the Cougar.

If you couldn’t tell, I’m a big fan of the Cougar. I used to use an M9 to teach new shooters, but now use a 9mm Cougar. And a MiniCougar is my favorite gun to carry.

Ahhhhh trying not to look at this thread just past up chance on one super cheap on GB as 2 ounces heavier loaded than other options...and needs grip tape. Want one though...

I’m definitely not trying to take away from the PX4 line, especially in .40!

I’ve got all 3 sizes in .40 plus 1.5 in .45

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    If you couldn’t tell, I’m a big fan of the Cougar. I used to use an M9 to teach new shooters, but now use a 9mm Cougar. And a MiniCougar is my favorite gun to carry.
    I carried a Cougar L for several years. To me, that was the sweet spot in the lineup. Slightly smaller than a G19, but also had a lighter slide than the full size and mini Cougars. I traded that gun during the laser fad. It’s one I miss.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    The 8000 Series Cougar was Beretta’s real underestimated pistol. They made many improvements that most people are totally unaware of. Everybody knows the old 92 & many are finally learning the PX4. It was the first Beretta designed in CAD. The radiused grip of later 92’s came from the design of the Cougar. The Cougar was available in 4 calibers unlike the PX4. It was the only factory 357Sig Beretta. It was the first designed for .40 S&W instead of redesigned like the 96. It was the first .45ACP Beretta.

The later Stoeger Cougars got an updated recoil assembly that is closer to the PX4. It doesn’t try to fall apart on you when putting the gun back together. Hogue also offers G10 grips for the Cougar that feel great. And I’ve found that sights designed for the Vertec slide 92’s work very well on the Cougar. The earliest Cougar used a unique mag release, but it didn’t take Beretta long to redesign it to take the same mag release as the 92. And Stoeger offered the 8040T which got a light rail. The universal G kit that was only released a few years ago even came from the Cougar.

Thus far my 8000 is flawless, as is my 8040, though round counts through each are relatively low. Back in my college years I was helping a buddy on a budget pick out a home defense pistol, this was about a year or two after Beretta bought Stoeger. I recommended the 8000F and it ended up being a great performer, fit and finish wise was the equal of my 2013 92FS. His is why I got mine. Interesting and good to know that they updated the recoil assembly.

It's sorta sad that the Cougar fits a niche that likely has hit the peak of its popularity. I do rather like mine and don't have any intent to get rid of it.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List