Thread: S&W Equalizer

S&W Equalizer

My wife picked up an Equalizer over the weekend. She has handled the EZ 9mm and liked it a lot because she can manipulate the slide EZ. It is wasn’t an option though because of the lack of RDS. We stumbled on this option over the weekend at our local feed and gun store picking up feed and alfalfa. I set it up and rough dialed in the Holosun 407k in prep for tomorrow when she can run it live for the first time. I ran 50 rounds of Blazer brass 124gr ball through it without a problem. Haven’t weighed the trigger yet but I’d guess around 5.5lbs and damn crisp. Below is my first time 25 yard B8 free hand and 4 rounds at 40 yards with the x marking the piece of tape that was my point of aim. BTW, she thinks the name “Equalizer” is awful, refuses to call it that but instead prefers to call it the “Terminator.” My first thoughts on this pistol was something like “isn’t that just cute” but after running 50 rounds through it today I really like it a lot. If she likes it a lot after running it tomorrow it will most likely replace her G43x. I’m pretty sure it will as she struggles with the slide on the G43x. After running it for the first time today I think it is a pretty damn sweet package.

Thanks for the write-up. I think it's a potentially cool gun and I'd like to hear more about it in the future. The Shield EZ base should be pretty proven, but I would need to find one to shoot so I can make sure the grip safety and manual safety don't give me issues.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    After running it for the first time today I think it is a pretty damn sweet package.
    It intrigues me. If it also had a vestigial but visible hammer spur along the lines of a CZ 27 or even a Beretta PX4 - or even had the spurless goodness of the 3913 hammer - I'd be even more intrigued. Unlike some other recent efforts from S&W, I am not seeing many clanging, cringe-worthy aspects with this one (I don't give a crap one way or the other about the name "Equalizer" at this point). Will it be everyone's cup o' tea? No.

But for a good chunk of the "I can't believe I am saying this but things have gotten bad enough that we need to get a gun which one should we buy?" demographic, this has potential.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    My wife picked up an Equalizer over the weekend. She has handled the EZ 9mm and liked it a lot because she can manipulate the slide EZ. It is wasn’t an option though because of the lack of RDS. We stumbled on this option over the weekend at our local feed and gun store picking up feed and alfalfa. I set it up and rough dialed in the Holosun 407k in prep for tomorrow when she can run it live for the first time. I ran 50 rounds of Blazer brass 124gr ball through it without a problem. Haven’t weighed the trigger yet but I’d guess around 5.5lbs and damn crisp. Below is my first time 25 yard B8 free hand and 4 rounds at 40 yards with the x marking the piece of tape that was my point of aim. BTW, she thinks the name “Equalizer” is awful, refuses to call it that but instead prefers to call it the “Terminator.” My first thoughts on this pistol was something like “isn’t that just cute” but after running 50 rounds through it today I really like it a lot. If she likes it a lot after running it tomorrow it will most likely replace her G43x. I’m pretty sure it will as she struggles with the slide on the G43x. After running it for the first time today I think it is a pretty damn sweet package.
    Thanks for the review. How is the recoil as compared to any other similarly-sized 9mm pistols you have tried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Wtf...Smith finally makes a gun that can print a group with an OEM barrel and they decide to make it THIS partial birth abortion and name it "The Equalizer"

Like I'm glad it shoots well and is a good gun...but they've got to lose that name

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

@45dotACP Well, I had similar feelings until I ran 50 rounds through it. Now I think it is pretty damn sweet, accurate and a super relevant concealed carry pistol. Also, don't be giving all of the credit to S&W for the accuracy. I have been doing much work at 25 and 40 yards these past few months.

@BillSWPA I noticed and was a bit surprised on the first magazine that the recoil was soft. Softer than a 365 or Hellcat. It is a tad heavier and bigger but I think there is something more to it.

@GlockenSpiel The grip safety is well designed. At least for my hand. It isn't flush fitting and is raised near the top so I think it will be hard not to deactivate it while having even a half-ass grip on this pistol. I think the thumb safety is optional. The thumb safety is well designed and very 1911-ish for my hand. It is a shame that S&W does not have this safety on the Shield+ and continue to send them out the door with a slight piece of bent sheet metal that nearly fits flush to the frame.

@gato naranja Will it be everyone's cup of tea? I think more than less if they gave it a whirl, ran some rounds through it and got past looks and the name. The name in our household has been officially changed to "Terminator." Wife's rule, and I'm following it. I was thinking that last night that this is a "pistol for the masses" for both novice to expert folks.
    Last edited by medmo; 12-13-2022 at 12:01 PM.

I have yet to get one of these in hand, but I intend to do so soon. To me they seem like a modern take on the Colt 1903/1908.

(I vote they should do up a version called the "Alte Kaker" which would totally destroy any legal arguments about aggressive naming.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Update: Wife really digs the Terminator, (AKA Equalizer). Much easier for her to manipulate and she thinks it is softer shooting than her G43X. For her to swap it out with her beloved teal colored Glock says something about the S&W. I have to say I’m liking it even more after handling it and shooting it more. Will have to borrow it, take out the pact and time a few drills.

User Tag List