Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye exercises for better front sight focus - anyone do this?

Eye exercises for better front sight focus - anyone do this?

I went out to the desert last weekend to shoot. Thanks to this forum I actually worked on some drills instead of my normal target shooting/plinking. Thanks for the encouragement & motivation!

My groups were good (for me) for the first 125-150 rounds. About that time I realized that my accuracy was going down so I took another break to relax. When I went back to the drill, I could not focus on the front sight! I had Lasik surgery about 12 years ago & my distance vision is good. I have been using 1.25 cheaters for reading for the past 4-5 years. I tried shooting with both eyes open since that really helped last time I was shooting the mini 14 (iron sights) but it was a big no go with the pistol.

I've heard about eye exercises that you can do to help strengthen the muscles around the eye & help keep from getting tired. However, since not being able to focus close up is more of my lens not relaxing enough I don't see how eye exercises will help.

Do any of you do eye exercises or have you done them in the past? If so, what did you do & what were the results?

By the way, I put on my cheaters at the end of the practice session, could focus on the front sight and groups/accuracy were as good & maybe better than at the start of the session. I don't like to practice with the cheaters because I don't wear them when I'm outside & often don't have any with me.

I look forward to your comments.

I have spoken with two ophthalmologists and inquired about the efficacy of "eye exercises", both M.D.s unequivocally stated that anyone selling that idea is a charlatan.

But apparently there are drugs...
    https://youtu.be/-qBFRqCDK6o

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I have spoken with two ophthalmologists and inquired about the efficacy of "eye exercises", both M.D.s unequivocally stated that anyone selling that idea is a charlatan.
    I guess I kind of think three things about that:

1. I've thought much the same thing about some of the eye exercises that are promoted for shooting. They frequently amount to extremely basic stuff like looking at different spots in rapid sequence, or moving accommodation/focal depths, but without the critical work on independently controlling convergence and accommodation, or the closing/squinting that substitutes for independent control. Ditto those unremarkable products like beads on a string. I don't think any of that really needs to cost money.

2. I think they are completely wrong that well-constructed exercises for shooting, like the ones I do, are not effective. I am absolutely certain that they have been enormously effective, for me. However, I learned them for free and I explain them too others essentially for free too.

3. I am not an ophthalmologist.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I kinda do that automatically through dry fire. If I consciously "exercise" the muscles in my eye it rapidly weirds me out and I stop
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
    Now that is funny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

The eye exercises I was referring to above are of the type advertised to eliminate the need for corrective lenses.

I’m no eye doctor, but eyes are like the rest of our bodies. If you sit on your ass you will adapt to that stimulus. If you run all day you will adapt to that stimulus. Same for your eyes. You stare at a computer screen inches away from your face all day you will adapt to it. BUT as with everything there are limits. Just cause I decide to run every day, doesn’t mean I’ll win Gold next Olympics. Same with your eyes. If you can’t focus at a distance I doubt exercises will help. If you get tired from shifting focal planes or are slow to do so, some exercises may help.

I fought that battle for nearly a decade. There came a point, where focusing at that distance was not possible. Learned to shoot by aligning the 3 fuzzy things (rear sight, front sight and target). When that got hinky I went to an RMR so I only need to focus on the threat. Getting older is a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    The eye exercises I was referring to above are of the type advertised to eliminate the need for corrective lenses.
    Ah ha, it didn't occur to me that you meant eye exercises effective to eliminate the need for corrective lenses - I thought you meant eye exercises effective for improvement at shooting.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I guess I kind of think three things about that:

1. I've thought much the same thing about some of the eye exercises that are promoted for shooting. They frequently amount to extremely basic stuff like looking at different spots in rapid sequence, or moving accommodation/focal depths, but without the critical work on independently controlling convergence and accommodation, or the closing/squinting that substitutes for independent control. Ditto those unremarkable products like beads on a string. I don't think any of that really needs to cost money.

2. I think they are completely wrong that well-constructed exercises for shooting, like the ones I do, are not effective. I am absolutely certain that they have been enormously effective, for me. However, I learned them for free and I explain them too others essentially for free too.

3. I am not an ophthalmologist.
    Just to be clear, you're saying that shooting specific eye exercises are legit? Can you elaborate?

User Tag List