Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Vacation Ideas

Do you want your warm with salt water and fishing? I'd head to Southwest Florida- Bonita, Ft. Myers Beach, Sanibel, ect.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'd take a long hard look at the deserts of the Southwest, especially places around Moab, Utah, which inspired the scenery in the Wyle E. Coyote cartoons. It might not be warm this time of year, but the scenery will be stunning.
    I'm going to be teaching a desert field ecology class for 5-weeks from June-to-July. I love the desert, but since I'll be spending an extended period of time there in the near future...

The Big Island of Hawaii is also a good bet. Get a place on or above the Mamalahoa Highway so you'll be away from all the tourists on the beaches. Snorkel at the City of Refuge and visit the beach at Hapuna State Park, which is consistently rated one of the best beaches in the world. Also swim at Green Sands Beach at South Point at dusk. It's a volcanic crater that slumped into the ocean thousands of years ago and it hasn't changed since then. The only thing missing is pterodactyls wheeling overhead.

No matter where you go, remember that Spring Break is just around the corner. You don't want to have anything to do with it at any major tourist destination.

Okie John
    Yea, this is the one issue. I need to kind of time going somewhere - during spring break. And that makes it difficult AND more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    It was 3 below here yesterday. I have no pity for you.
    Me neither. Woe is me, I live someplace where 12" of snow didn't fall from the sky...

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'd fly into Midland, Tx. rent a car and make the Big Bend loop.
    Heck, you could buy cheap car camping gear in Midland at Academy Sports and do it all car camping.
    Midland - Monahans - Fort Stockton - Big Bend National Park - Alpine - Fort Davis - Balmorhea - Pecos - Midland.
    Lot's of cool stuff to see and do along that route and really great weather through early April.
    A great trip. I've spent months in that area doing field work. My wife has already said "No" to anywhere where I've actively done work.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Do you want your warm with salt water and fishing? I'd head to Southwest Florida- Bonita, Ft. Myers Beach, Sanibel, ect.
    Yea, I'm not much of a fisherman, but salt water and access to beer seems like the best idea.

___

Gun friendly would be nice, I suppose. But I travel so frequently for work, to unfriendly places I just don't care that much.

So far I'm leaning towards ~9-days in Havana or ~9-days in Hawaii. Costs are about the same, but the not dealing with customs part of Hawaii is appealing.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-07-2018 at 03:18 PM.

I would go somewhere in Texas. Probably around the Palo Duro Canyon area. @98z28 vacationed there and it looked like a great area to check out.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I would go somewhere in Texas. Probably around the Palo Duro Canyon area. @98z28 vacationed there and it looked like a great area to check out.
    Remember I'm from Texas.

My wife and therapist have both said no where near family. Texas is big, but too close to family (I can't believe, I'm honestly saying, I don't want to go to Texas right now...)

Few people?

Hawaii and Havana aren't a good option if you want few people.

Isle de Culebra.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-07-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Remember I'm from Texas.

My wife and therapist have both said no where near family. Texas is big, but too close to family (I can't believe, I'm honestly saying, I don't want to go to Texas right now...)
    Funny you say that, because as I was typing a little voice in my head said, "I think he is from Texas."

I gotta pay better attention to that voice.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Avoiding people this time of year in warm places is going to be a little difficult. The key to a peaceful vacation will be selecting a quieter resort.

I just returned from Punta Cana this week, and the weather was perfect at 80 and clear:

Name:  ECB27A4F-F718-4FB5-9C1A-46540C494510.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  42.2 KB

Pick a resort that has all positive reviews of the food and drink. Life will be good.

Cancun travel is picking up now, but it was sleepy at the hotel last month. YMMV.

Name:  1A4D89E7-7472-4641-A896-9C75F1E203EB.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  55.0 KB

If you decide to go all inclusive, buy the best food and drink package they offer and enjoy! Mass quantities of Dos Equis, Red Stripe, Presidente, and Rum always taste better when your friends are shoveling snow!

My personal favorite place is Sanibel Island- the family has been going there for 40 years now.
    The causeway cost money to cross, so most of the riffraff- spring breakers and the like- don't go that way.
    However, most hot & pretty places are at peak snowbird right now - something to keep in mind.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I'm a fan of "all inclusive" resorts on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica.
    With airfare and in-country transportation it's probably the upper end of your budget for a week but for us the "all inclusive" makes it worth it as a true zero stress relaxation vacation.
    No plans, eat when and what you want, drink when and what you want, no wallet required at all while on the resort.

Here's a pic I took of the beach right in front of our bungalow at the Westin Playa Conchal.

Attachment 23637
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-07-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I’m not sure my favorite few people/dog friendly/inexpensive spot in Florida would be “that” warm in just six weeks. St George Island in the Panhandle is my go to for all the above. I haven’t been in a few years but the last time I was there it was 60 miles to the nearest Wal Mart. That’s pretty good for anywhere along the gulf coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List