Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many walls does your trigger have?

On HKs, should I count each time the anvil hits a new piece of gravel? I joke, I will check into it tomorrow.
    Taking a break from social media.

Shadow 2 and 1911, one.

Tanfo and PX4CC, two, first one corresponding to engagement of a firing pin block. A beauty of Beretta is that you can see the FP block getting moved up and you can correlate it with what you're feeling.

The Gen4 Glock that I an setting up as a CO dry fire gat, with 3.5 Edge connector and 4.5 lbs striker spring, is a giant looong wall of China, with bastions, alcoves, and wall cracks.
    Last edited by YVK; 02-06-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    No flipping clue. There's a trigger thingie and when I yank it enough the gun goes KERSPLORSH and holes appear in things.
    If you're not even willing to try and figure out the question in the OP, why are you posting in a technical thread?

Great thread/topic. So far I've tried two P07s. One is completely stock with little dry fire or live fire. Six in DA and two in SA (I think). The other has a CGW 18# (yellow) hammer spring and increased weight sear spring, four in DA and one in SA (again, I think). I'm going to keep messing with this before trying other guns to see if I get more in tuned. On a side note, I handed the stock gun to my wife who knows nothing about this. In DA she said she counted "at least" seven for the stock gun. I was just curious what somebody who doesn't shoot at all would say. For all I know at this point she's right.

G43- 3 or 4, multiple reps and I can't tell.

G19 w/Zev connector and SCD- 4

M&P 340 w/Apex kit- 5
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

In my most commonly fired G17 there are three distinctive "walls/stages" that I account for if I am doing slow precision fire. In a slow precision fire sequence, I do not pull all the way through the trigger from start to finish, but rather take up the two stages of "slack" very deliberately before I start my final trigger press. I feel the first stage, then the second stage and then I know I am at the absolute "wall" before the last bit of pressure before the striker fires. In this particular G17, the trigger is not standard, and I know this trigger very intimately and as opposed to my other Glocks that are not exactly the same, but I understand the differences.

Some people don't pay as much attention as they pull a trigger differently than I do, but IMO, for absolute precision, you should "slack out" or get rid of the final "take up" on the trigger before the actual final pull process starts. I also reset during recoil, which many shooters still don't get that concept. Of course, this is trigger dependent and a good shooter will quickly work this out for each weapon they shoot.

eta - sorry but I edited as I am not sure exactly how we are counting the stages, but I either have two, but no more than 3 stages depending.
    Last edited by Surf; 02-07-2018 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Some of you might have seen my JJ Racaza class review, where I discussed JJ’s focus on deep trigger prep and knowing your trigger. As part of that process, he asked us to describe how many walls our trigger had. My well shot in Gen 4 G34 MOS with a Vanek trigger had three. This afternoon, I checked my G5 17, and it had five. I asked Gabe to do the same, and he just texted me that his G5 17 has five. I just checked my stock, recent manufacture G43 and it has barely two.

What do you have?
    This is interesting. I am not surprised at your G43 result. I have one with the best Glock trigger bar none I've ever owned.

I'll get on this exercise. Thanks!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Step one is to figure out how many walls your trigger has, regardless of how you count them. Then you can consider how deeply you prep depending upon the difficulty of the shot. If you have five walls, determined by pressing the trigger incredibly slow, JJ isn’t suggesting you will want to prep through four, when shooting fast. However, you probably will want to prep through more than one wall as the shot difficulty increases.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Beretta in SA-1. Beretta in DA, I'll call it two for initial press and stacking to sear release. 1911-1.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Beretta in SA-1. Beretta in DA, I'll call it two for initial press and stacking to sear release. 1911-1.
    Are you sure — just checked my Brig Tac and CenTac with Wilson part and trigger jobs, and both have two walls in SA. Subtle second wall but there.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List