Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many walls does your trigger have?

How many walls does your trigger have?

Some of you might have seen my JJ Racaza class review, where I discussed JJ’s focus on deep trigger prep and knowing your trigger. As part of that process, he asked us to describe how many walls our trigger had. My well shot in Gen 4 G34 MOS with a Vanek trigger had three. This afternoon, I checked my G5 17, and it had five. I asked Gabe to do the same, and he just texted me that his G5 17 has five. I just checked my stock, recent manufacture G43 and it has barely two.

What do you have?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

5 walls before the break? Those have to be some pretty subtle walls. Is there a particular method to discerning these walls?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    5 walls before the break? Those have to be some pretty subtle walls. Is there a particular method to discerning these walls?

Turn the TV off, press carefully, and count!

Is firing from the wall similar to staging the trigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Are you counting the initial finger contact with the trigger as 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    Are you counting the initial finger contact with the trigger as 1?
    Nope. In a Glock for example, the first wall is where you encounter significant resistance. After that initial wall, by pressing slow and carefully, you will be able to count successive walls, although they are subtle compared to the initial wall.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Nope. In a Glock for example, the first wall is where you encounter significant resistance. After that initial wall, by pressing slow and carefully, you will be able to count successive walls, although they are subtle compared to the initial wall.
    In that case let me get back to you, I was doing something else.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

How many walls does your trigger have?

Huh, interesting. So here are my findings based on the Glocks that I have.

G19.4 #1 - 3 walls. First one is very slight, the second one shortly after the first and a little more resistance, third is much heavier, then the break.

G19.4 #2 - 3 walls. First one is slight, second one shortly after the first and a touch more resistance, third is much heavier but a lot further forward than on #1, then the break.

G17.2 - 2 walls. First one is slight, second one is much further back with a little more resistance, then the break.

It’s interesting to note that while there’s only OEM parts used, there have been some modifications. G19.4 #1 has a Gen3 trigger bar with a minus connector, a light polish on the trigger bar, connector, and firing pin block plunger surface. G19.4 #2 has a Gen3 trigger bar with the stock dot connector, same light polishing on the same parts. G17.2 was picked up as a police trade-in with all parts from the armory left as is, no polishing by my hand.

Last edited by spinmove_; 02-06-2018 at 10:26 PM.

No flipping clue. There's a trigger thingie and when I yank it enough the gun goes KERSPLORSH and holes appear in things.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    I was beginning to think that I just wasn't sensitive enough to detect these walls, even though I started out as a bullseye shooter. Pistols are listed in the order I tried them.

My planned EDC P2000 LEM with a Lazy Wolf Master Reduced Reset Action Package w/nickel internals is 1.

S&W 442 w/Apex Duty/Carry spring kit and minor smoothing has 1.

M&P 9 w/safety has 2.

All my bullseye pistols (Hammerli 208s, Ruger MK II Govt w/trigger job and Clark trigger, S&W 52-2, Colt and (don't laugh) AMT Hardballer Longslide with my trigger work) are 1.

S&W 586 with action work and lightened springs has 1.

Then I got 3 or 4 on my wife's S&W 66. Now I'm starting to think I know what you are talking about.

My EDC (stock) Shield 9 is 3.

Sig P228 with minor (https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...aspx?rrec=true) (white stone) smoothing has 3 in double action, 1 in single.

M&P 9 with professionally installed Apex DCEAK is 2.

Kahr P9 is 1. If I trusted the magazines on this pistol it would replace the Shield.

Wife's 3913 is 3 or 4 in double action, 2 in single. The crunchy spots are not always the same.

Everything except the 3913 and the Shield have at least "nice" triggers. The Shield is ok when shooting. The 3913 sucks as it is heavy. The P20000, 586, and bullseye pistols have exceptional triggers. If I did this again tomorrow, I'm not sure I'd come up with the same numbers on the "bad" ones. Much like working the clutch on a manual transmission, I would guess this sensitivity can be gained by those with technical interest that are willing to practice.

Even on the double action pulls, I couldn't imagine trying to feel most of these subtle walls at speed.

User Tag List