Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Falcon 9 Heavy

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Falcon 9 Heavy can lift 63 metric tons to low Earth orbit. If they fly a second one, only the Saturn V will be the other rocket to do that for multiple launches.

(Behind the scenes, I'd wager that SpaceX's lobbyists are working hard to kill NASA's SLS.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    A friend of mine works for a company that does business with SpaceX. He was asking their engineers about the work culture there. They said the work culture at SpaceX is geared towards folks without families. Super competitive atmosphere and lots of long hours. Very fast paced. If that's what you like, have at it. Its not my cup of tea.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great company and making huge gains in space exploration technology. I'd love to get into a cool engineering position there, but not with a work atmosphere like that. I already don't see my family enough.

Watching their launches and landings is about the coolest thing ever.
    UCF and FIT are spitting out thousands of engineers every year to fight for these positions. A few guys that I used to work with went to work at SpaceX. They pay very well...much better than the .mil or .gov in the area for aerospace engineering work.

Not that it means anything, but it is kind of exciting to have rocket launches in the area again. We watched it from the roof of my building (I work by Orlando International Airport). I couldn't see the rockets come back down, but we could see everything go up. We used to be able to hear the space shuttle, but we couldn't hear these. I think these were brighter than the shuttles' boosters. Not that any of that is scientific or that I have an answer why.

Watched it from our backyard. We try to watch all the launches, but miss many due to reschedules or odd times. Take the laptop out back and watch the live webcast. My daughter loves it, all the excitement of people cheering on the webcast, then we see them crest the trees. Good times. I get pretty nerdy about it too. The return of boosters are just insane to watch. Falcon 9 night launch in January was amazing. Falcon Heavy was epic, especially both boosters landing in unison.

I shot a video, but only with my iPhone. Hard to see due to iPhone (It's about 65 miles away) and IG video compression, but here's a link anyway.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be3zn6nj...y=thefamrunner
    Last edited by StraitR; 02-08-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Hammertime
    While perusing Falcon Heavy stuff I came across this really cool video:

https://youtu.be/ImoQqNyRL8Y

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I wonder of SpaceX offers a "value line" of launches, depending on how many times the boosters have been used.

Apparently, their next project is the Big Fucking Rocket.
    2018 prices are listed on their website. $62million for Falcon 9 and $90million for Falcon Heavy. Link HERE

Bummer, I don't see a "value line".

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 1.42.26 PM.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  45.5 KB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Falcon 9 Heavy: Nearly three times the payload of a Falcon 9 for less than 50%.

Such a deal they have for you!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I do agree that NASA needs more attention and more money.
    For what? Buying Russian rocket motors and paying Russia for rides to space station?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    For what? Buying Russian rocket motors and paying Russia for rides to space station?
    You certainly must realize that this behavior is born out of the necessities that come directly from their woefully inadequate budget, right?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    While perusing Falcon Heavy stuff I came across this really cool video:

https://youtu.be/ImoQqNyRL8Y

I love the videos he does, that one was just awesome. Smart dude and a really good dude (he lives in Huntsville, if I ever make it back there, I definitely would like to meet him). Watched that video (and the SpaceX launch video) with my 2 year old. Now every time she looks at my phone she's going "Rockets! Rockets!" . . . which is a slight change from always wanting to watch race car videos with me.

Here's to hoping I'm raising the next Sally Ride or Leena Gade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    A friend of mine works for a company that does business with SpaceX. He was asking their engineers about the work culture there. They said the work culture at SpaceX is geared towards folks without families. Super competitive atmosphere and lots of long hours. Very fast paced. If that's what you like, have at it. Its not my cup of tea.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great company and making huge gains in space exploration technology. I'd love to get into a cool engineering position there, but not with a work atmosphere like that. I already don't see my family enough.

Watching their launches and landings is about the coolest thing ever.
    I have a friend who works there now. It's definitely his life. No girl, no hobbies, rarely sees his family or friends. He does love it though.

User Tag List