Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Falcon 9 Heavy

I know a couple of guys who work for Blue Origin, but alas, they have no openings for janitors, which is about the only capacity they could use me in.

Maybe an admin assistant. Which they also have no openings for.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    What's wrong with launching the car? You need a ballast/dummy payload anyway, and launching the car is a brilliant PR move. It's certainly more interesting than a stack of steel plates. And the spacesuit the "driver" is wearing is apparently a full functioning prototype of SpaceX's new design. What better way to do a functional test in real conditions?
    It's a cheesy PR stunt and I guess my practical side says they could have launched something useful instead. That said, if it fires up some kid to become a steely eyed missile man that's a good thing.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Problem with anything seriously "useful" is, this is/was a test flight of the rocket. Even Musk said it was even money it would become a massive roman candle on the pad. They've set up a couple "useful" things (mars orbital insertion, which was really a test of how strong the 2nd stage rocket engine is, space suit test, launch vibration test, 3 cores at once landing, and probably a bunch of other little things they haven't told anyone about yet) but just how much do you expect them to spend on experiments when there's a suspected decent chance it'll all go pear shaped?

Plus, good PR is (almost?) never a waste. At the very least there's some seriously kick ass wallpaper backgrounds out there. I'm personally hoping some of those shots are in some seriously high resolution; If I could have a print of this like 10' wide, I'd stick it on the wall in my office.

It's just so BAD ASS that's REAL!
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

NASA has been doing incredible things over the decades, with almost literally zero PR. This crazy ass stuff is exactly what the field of space exploration needs right now.

I'm sure there was a thousand tests involved in this, but the method in which they were done was a massive bonus to the cool factor.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Maybe that's part of the problem at/with NASA? If you want people to be hyped to your stuff, you have to hype it. I can understand the desire to be the "quiet professionals", but sometimes you gotta grab the ring ropes and shake them like the Ultimate Warrior; if YOU'RE (NASA) not excited at your accomplishments, how am I (the People) to be excited? The literal ROAR of the crowds inside the SpaceX "studio" (for lack of a better definition) only added to the drama and excitement we (the People) felt while watching this happen.

Throughout history we've had people who, regardless of their faults, have inspired others. One of the most profound thing a person can do is realize, true "heroes" are flawed just like everyone else. Whether you agree with his ideas, his methods, his funding practices, I don't think you'll find a single person of the SIX THOUSAND names on the plaque attached to Starman's car stand, who will at this moment regret their choice to work him and SpaceX. As of right now, this is this generation's Moon Landing... until the next big thing comes along from SpaceX (or someone else, if they have the pants big enough.)
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

They're a government agency, that's not what they do. While SpaceX launching a car into space is badass, if NASA had done something like that I'd be sitting wondering what the hell they're doing with all that tax money.

SpaceX is cool because it's a private crazy rich guy dumping airplanes full of money into something that just happens to be a very scientific and technical field. Everyone benefits from that.
    Last edited by Peally; 02-08-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    They're a government agency, that's not what they do. While SpaceX launching a car into space is badass, if NASA had done something like that I'd be sitting wondering what the hell they're doing with all that tax money.

SpaceX is cool because it's a private crazy rich guy dumping airplanes full of money into something that just happens to be a very scientific and technical field. Everyone benefits from that.
    It's not "badass" it's a waste of tax payer money. The problem is that it's not his money it is your money and my money. Musk exists only to prey on Federal and State tax dollars that is all he does. With Tesla their upside on pricing is limited because everybody else sells electric vehicles at a loss to get the credits to be able to sell the sport utility vehicles and the pickup trucks. So that puts a ceiling on your possible pricing. And if he can't make money on the high-end Model S and Model X's which sell up to $130,000, how in the world is he going to make money on a $40,000 small car? Because the cost of a car doesn't come down proportional to it's price. If you have a situation where the cost of producing a car, labor and materials, is higher than your sell price, your business model is flawed. And it's doomed and it's going to fail. Tesla loses money on every car it produces that is not a business model its the definition of a scam. And if you want to talk about the battery plant, in my estimation, is a joke. There are no cost savings from making a lithium ion plant bigger than other people lithium ion plants, because making lithium ion cells is a fully automated process anyway. So, whether you got full automation in a small building or 10x full automation in a big building, you're not saving any money.

Anyone that thinks this is a good thing needs to educate themselves as to just how this man is able to operate. His day is coming just like all the fraudsters that came before him.

Hell it's not just me that thinks this. CNBC just this morning call Musk "David Blaine" a master at misdirection. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/08/cram...direction.html

Funny how the SpaceX launch was just 24 hours before the Tesla earnings call. The sleight of hand working again.

Site Supporter
    ^^^^ Still BADASS, Ebenezer.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I feel like I need to break out my tinfoil hat for where this thread is going.

Quote Originally Posted by justcor View Post
    Funny how the SpaceX launch was just 24 hours before the Tesla earnings call. The sleight of hand working again.
    Is it sleight of hand or good business acumen? What SpaceX is doing and the competition that they hope to create will be incredibly beneficial for our species and planet. Business does involve some dirty tricks, especially when literally every action you take is into uncertainty and risk.

Back to some to earlier inquiries in the thread regarding working for Musk, if you do some Reddit searches life at SpaceX is pretty good.. as long as you don't have a family and are willing to dedicate your entirety to the mission. They are a good resume point for many people, but turnover is definitely above average.

I can't wait for the day we send permanent settlers to Mars. I do agree that NASA needs more attention and more money.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 02-08-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List