Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Falcon 9 Heavy

One of the coolest things about the east coast of Florida is standing in the yard watching those rockets take off (I'm not close, but they are visible a long way off).

Seeing the two boosters land reinforced my faith that we can be pretty smart when we want to be. Of course I have to balance that with sending a Tesla into space.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    A friend of mine works for a company that does business with SpaceX. He was asking their engineers about the work culture there. They said the work culture at SpaceX is geared towards folks without families. Super competitive atmosphere and lots of long hours. Very fast paced. If that's what you like, have at it. Its not my cup of tea.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great company and making huge gains in space exploration technology. I'd love to get into a cool engineering position there, but not with a work atmosphere like that. I already don't see my family enough.

Watching their launches and landings is about the coolest thing ever.
    100% agree. That might explain why Elon said “I would consider it a win if it just clears the pad.”. I dunno but I'm thinking that if NASA had that impression about a launch NASA didn't launch, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    100% agree. That might explain why Elon said “I would consider it a win if it just clears the pad.”. I dunno but I'm thinking that if NASA had that impression about a launch NASA didn't launch, but what do I know?
    Recently, yes. The early days of the Mercury program were much less positive of the results, especially for the unmanned launches. Gene Krantz talked about the "building the airplane in flight" aspect of figuring out how to get a rocket off the pad and it was very eye-opening and pretty scary if you consider the perspective of the Mercury 7 training to fly these things as they witnessed mixed success and failure of their new ride.

Just as a quick reference: the unmanned Mercury launches. Lots of "failure" and "partial successes" in that list. While SpaceX isn't a direct analogy (we've been doing this for a minute now), Musk's attitude it probably the right one given the circumstances.

Musk is the biggest snake oil salesmen of the 21st century period FULL STOP.

SpaceX is one of those companies that if I were in my early 20s and unattached and still full of piss and vinegar, I'd definitely be pounding on their door for a job.
    I'm too old for that shit now though.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    I'm still in awe about what was accomplished yesterday. I almost get the feeling this is the closest my generation has gotten to an "Apollo" moment. I watched a shuttle launch and that was awe inspiring, the ramifications of what SpaceX is looking to accomplish is above and beyond even that (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    A friend of mine works for a company that does business with SpaceX. He was asking their engineers about the work culture there. They said the work culture at SpaceX is geared towards folks without families. Super competitive atmosphere and lots of long hours. Very fast paced. If that's what you like, have at it. Its not my cup of tea.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great company and making huge gains in space exploration technology. I'd love to get into a cool engineering position there, but not with a work atmosphere like that. I already don't see my family enough.

Watching their launches and landings is about the coolest thing ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    SpaceX is one of those companies that if I were in my early 20s and unattached and still full of piss and vinegar, I'd definitely be pounding on their door for a job.
    I'm too old for that shit now though.
    Ditto on all counts. I looked at their careers section and all the engineering posts I could qualify for basically said "50 hours per week, more hours and weekends depending on the needs of the program." Not unlike Toyota when I applied there.

I get the feeling that I'd end up single and unattached with that work schedule, but at least they're up front with it. I've had friends who works for places that hired people in with the impression it was a typical 40/week position but then thought you weren't pulling your weight if you were working less than 50/week. The managers tended to be real winners with the turnover to show for it.

That said, if I could go back 10-12 years, I might just tell my younger self to hit up SpaceX hard on the days of the career fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by justcor View Post
    Musk is the biggest snake oil salesmen of the 21st century period FULL STOP.
    That snake oil salesman just launched a car into the Van Allen Belt. You may want to reconsider your opinion.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Name:  3281A992-762D-4C72-AD1E-AFA8A4468DF4.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  37.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    Ditto on all counts. I looked at their careers section and all the engineering posts I could qualify for basically said "50 hours per week, more hours and weekends depending on the needs of the program." Not unlike Toyota when I applied there.

I get the feeling that I'd end up single and unattached with that work schedule, but at least they're up front with it. I've had friends who works for places that hired people in with the impression it was a typical 40/week position but then thought you weren't pulling your weight if you were working less than 50/week. The managers tended to be real winners with the turnover to show for it.

That said, if I could go back 10-12 years, I might just tell my younger self to hit up SpaceX hard on the days of the career fair.
    Same here. Working somewhere like SpaceX would have a lot more big-picture meaning compared to my present job, and I'd be doing much cooler stuff, and maybe when I was job-hunting 12 years ago I should have taken it for a few years... but my job right now is at least somewhat fun on a good day, it pays well, and I hardly ever have to work overtime. I want to see my son grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    One of the coolest things about the east coast of Florida is standing in the yard watching those rockets take off (I'm not close, but they are visible a long way off).
    Until last year my grandmother lived in Rockledge; if we were visiting when a launch came we'd watch from the end of her street.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Seeing the two boosters land reinforced my faith that we can be pretty smart when we want to be. Of course I have to balance that with sending a Tesla into space.
    What's wrong with launching the car? You need a ballast/dummy payload anyway, and launching the car is a brilliant PR move. It's certainly more interesting than a stack of steel plates. And the spacesuit the "driver" is wearing is apparently a full functioning prototype of SpaceX's new design. What better way to do a functional test in real conditions?
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

User Tag List