Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Falcon 9 Heavy

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Falcon 9 Heavy

https://youtu.be/cw3w5VDRGSQ?t=7m30s

When I was a kid, I got up early to watch the first flight of a Saturn V. It was about as exciting, although watching the simultaneous landing of the two boosters today was magical.

Sure, Elon Musk comes across often as a twit, but damn! He put together one hell of a rocket program
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

We don't get jetpacks but we do get scifi rocket landings. Hugely impressive.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Those two boosters landing side-by-side goes down as one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I'm tempted to peruse their career page and see if they have job openings for folks in my area.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I watched it live, definitely the coolest thing I’ve seen in a while.

It was a shame they lost the center core. From what I gather, it’s a key part of making Falcon Heavy profitable, along with the two outer boosters which go with the reusable center core.

Did SpaceX confirm what happened? Speculation on where the center core ended up I found ranges from ‘entered witness protection’ to ‘lost 2 of 3 engines and it entered the water at 300 mph taking out a couple engines on the drone ship.’

That puppy was pretty impressive to watch launch. Lot of quick progress being made.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

It ran out of fuel and so could not decelerate to landing as planned.

The next Heavy will include some improvements so none of the stages used today were planned for re-use--the two that grounded successfully, by the way, were second use from early Falcon 9 launches. The landings were part of the test-flight program. And it was very cool to see.
    www.inshadowinlight.com

https://amazon.com/CR-Williams/e/B0751SZZ85/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Falcon 9 Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    It ran out of fuel and so could not decelerate to landing as planned.

The next Heavy will include some improvements so none of the stages used today were planned for re-use--the two that grounded successfully, by the way, were second use from early Falcon 9 launches. The landings were part of the test-flight program. And it was very cool to see.
    Thanks. I hope they get it worked out.

The launch very cool to see.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-07-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I wonder of SpaceX offers a "value line" of launches, depending on how many times the boosters have been used.

Apparently, their next project is the Big Fucking Rocket.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The company has been adamant about manned Mars missions being a serious goal. When that monster launches I will damned sure try to be there to see it.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Those two boosters landing side-by-side goes down as one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I'm tempted to peruse their career page and see if they have job openings for folks in my area.
    A friend of mine works for a company that does business with SpaceX. He was asking their engineers about the work culture there. They said the work culture at SpaceX is geared towards folks without families. Super competitive atmosphere and lots of long hours. Very fast paced. If that's what you like, have at it. Its not my cup of tea.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great company and making huge gains in space exploration technology. I'd love to get into a cool engineering position there, but not with a work atmosphere like that. I already don't see my family enough.

Watching their launches and landings is about the coolest thing ever.
    Last edited by Irelander; 02-07-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List