Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NH - Constitutional Carry

NH - Constitutional Carry

I've been tracking this for a while and it looks like it's getting closer to fruition. My apologies for such a long initial post but I wanted to include all the info I have. Hopefully NH will join VT, AK, AZ and WY in exercising their Constitutional 2nd Amendment rights.

Initial article I found in April, 2011. New Hampshire possible Constitutional carry.

The bill was then vetoed by the Governor, but it was re-passed with a veto proof majority.

http://www.pgnh.org/nh_house_votes_t...s_veto_of_sb88

http://www.pgnh.org/nh_senate_overri...8_veto_17_to_7

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS06/709079995

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/newss...le-vetoes.html

http://www.concordmonitor.com/articl...94&CSGroupId=1

An update and good news from October, 2011. Read here.

This quote is from an article posted yesterday. Read here.
    New Hampshire could soon become one of the most pro-gun states in the country – a sanctuary where the Constitution is paramount and Americans don’t need the government’s permission to exercise their God-given rights.

The bill is House Bill 536, sponsored by state Rep. J. R. Hoell, and it has already passed the House. The issue is “constitutional carry” – a concept which recognizes that Americans have the Second Amendment right to carry firearms without getting the government’s permission.

Granite Staters would still be able to get a concealed carry license – for the purpose of thwarting the Brady Law and unsafe school zones, and securing reciprocity with other states.

But the constitutional right of Granite Staters to carry concealed would not be conditioned on that license.

In addition, House Bill 536 would make a few additional improvements in firearms law, including extending the term to five years and explicitly prohibiting law enforcement from demanding more information than is required by this bill.

Good news for Granite Staters and for the rest of us as well. Hopefully, the transition to blue demonstrated in the map below will be to green in the next 10 years.

GeorgiaCarry.Org Life Member
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Neat map. Thanks for adding it.

Thanks for posting this, Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Irish.
    Absolutely. I'm a guns news nerd.

Senate passes "constitutional carry" bill. The actual Senate Bill can be read here.
    The state Senate has passed a bill to repeal the license requirement for carrying a concealed handgun.

The passage, on a party-line vote Thursday, came after a debate on public safety, constitutional rights and New Hampshire being one of the safest states in the country. The Senate voted 14-9 to pass it. Senate Minority Leader Jeff Woodburn, D-Dalton, likened it to radical legislation...

“This bill recognizes that the simple act of putting on a coat should not require a permit,” she said.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Granite Staters would still be able to get a concealed carry license – for the purpose of thwarting the Brady Law and unsafe school zones, and securing reciprocity with other states.

But the constitutional right of Granite Staters to carry concealed would not be conditioned on that license.
    We have a Constitutional Carry bill dying in committee here in Indiana even as I type this because the dimwits that wrote it didn't think to cover this eventuality. Without an LTCH, I'm in violation of the Federal "gun-free" school zones law when I step out my front door.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Does Constitutional Carry cover non-US-citizens? Like residents from abroad or even tourists?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by T.Stahl View Post
    Does Constitutional Carry cover non-US-citizens? Like residents from abroad or even tourists?
    I imagine it would vary from state to state, but to use the best known example (Vermont) it's not so much that there's a "Constitutional Carry law" as it is that there's no law preventing anyone who may legally have a pistol in their possession from carrying it around. Remember the basic legal principle that 'all is permitted that is not specifically forbidden'.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I imagine it would vary from state to state, but to use the best known example (Vermont) it's not so much that there's a "Constitutional Carry law" as it is that there's no law preventing anyone who may legally have a pistol in their possession from carrying it around. Remember the basic legal principle that 'all is permitted that is not specifically forbidden'.

Yup.

Arent there federal laws against a foreigner possessing firearms? Or only purchasing?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List