Thread: Ruger American Predators now with AI pattern mags

Ruger American Predators now with AI pattern mags

https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...ets/26973.html

A 22" threaded medium contour barrel in 6.5 creedmoor, that weighs 6.6 lbs overall, takes AI pattern mags, has a reasonable user adjustable trigger and sells for $434 right now.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...yn+Moss+Green+

If these things turn out to function well with Magpul mags...I think I want one. I seems like it could make a useful poor man's scout-like rifle (minus irons) when paired with a relatively light weight optic. I could wish it was just a tad bit shorter and lighter, but it isn't far off.

I've seen where people online have been having great luck with accuracy to 1000 and beyond with these in 6.5 creedmoor. I was always unimpressed with the previous cheezball rotary magazine system.

On the other hand, Tikka makes a 20" compact lite 6.5 creedmoor that weighs the same(6.6 lbs) for only $200 more, although it doesn't take the fancy 10 round magazines and is not in stock anywhere.

Are there better options right now for an inexpensive, general purpose, bastard-scout rifle? Something I can bang around, practice positional rifle drills to include speed and volume, and not feel bad about abusing it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...ets/26973.html

A 22" threaded medium contour barrel in 6.5 creedmoor, that weighs 6.6 lbs overall, takes AI pattern mags, has a reasonable user adjustable trigger and sells for $434 right now.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...yn+Moss+Green+

If these things turn out to function well with Magpul mags...I think I want one....

Are there better options right now for an inexpensive, general purpose, bastard-scout rifle? Something I can bang around, practice positional rifle drills to include speed and volume, and not feel bad about abusing it?
    I keep thinking about getting a rifle for exactly what you describe. Kentucky Gun Company is/was almost giving away T/C Compass rifles. I think they were $175 after rebate. I think I would prefer the Ruger or maybe a Savage High Hunter (iron sights), but it's hard to argue with the price if the T/C.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    or maybe a Savage High Hunter (iron sights)
    Do you mean "Hog Hunter"?

FWIW, I did this to mine (wood Model 14 stock, DBM bottom metal and 10rnd magazine, rear peep sight):

Name:  rifle1.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  14.9 KB

Chris

I like the idea, but really am not impressed with their rifles. I know the RPR has its fans, have not shot yet.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I like the idea, but really am not impressed with their rifles. I know the RPR has its fans, have not shot yet.
    The American action is good and they are very accurate. The weaknesses have been the stock and the craptastic rotary mags. It looks like Ruger fixed one issue and magpul is about to fix the other.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Do you mean "Hog Hunter"?
    Yes. Sorry about the typo. I guess you like yours pretty well if you restocked it.

I've handled but not shot the Ruger precision rifle. I think it would be a poor choice for anything close to the scout genre (based on my very limited knowledge of the RPR).

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

FWIW, another option on discount from eurooptic... these won't pop up in tge gun.delals site.

The Ruger Compact comes in 7-08 amd .243, I know alot of of people are waiting on the Magpul stock.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The American action is good and they are very accurate. The weaknesses have been the stock and the craptastic rotary mags. It looks like Ruger fixed one issue and magpul is about to fix the other.
    This is quite true. I have a suppressed Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BLK. I like the rifle quite a bit.

I pathologically loath the craptastic mags, as you mentioned. I have ordered a couple of the straight-line feed 450 Bushmaster to try. They will hold fewer rounds, but will actually feed them into the action.

Which is a plus.

I will, of course, use alcohol hand sanitizer after touching anything with "Bushmaster" on it.

The rifle is a lot of fun, and shoots very well with Doctor Robert's recommended 110-grain Barnes rounds. Even with the stock made from recycled Starbucks plastic lids.

I'll probably pick up an aftermarket stock before giving it to my daughter.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/conte...american-rifle

Like her dad, she likes nice grain on a wood stock.

User Tag List