Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red dot sights on pistols?

We are diminished
    Red dots were popular on Open pistols before they were popular on carbines (gaming or fighting). But on Open guns, the optic is usually:
    • bigger,
    • mounted solidly to the frame, so it's not reciprocating back and forth with the slide, and
    • living atop a compensated pistol with extremely little muzzle flip to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I do think that the best solution for the MRDS is on a fixed mount, not a slide dovetail mount. The issue of course is getting that to work in a way that doesn't interfere with a holster or light mounts.
    Because of the abuse the RDS takes? Or are there other factors for keeping it on the frame?

Actually it's because on a fixed frame mount the optic moves less than on a slide mount. With a gun that has minimal muzzle flip, it's easier to pick up the dot when the optic isn't bouncing around on the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

The other thing I've found in very limited practice is that having tall (suppressor style) sights on an MRDS-equipped gun gives you a front sight that sort of takes over for the sight tracking part, giving you visual reference until the gun comes back down on point and the dot appears. My guess is that it would still require quite a bit of practice, but that combo might prove to have enough benefits that it's a superior choice.
    I've tried that - I have a spare slide for my G19 with suppressor height irons and JP optic - and it absolutely didn't work for me. Too many things to pay attention to - front sight, sight picture, that blur of a target, and dot comes in pretty late. By that time, I am pretty much on target with irons and it isn't worth switching my focus to dot.
    Following many of these discussions, I've come to conclusion that pistol reddot users rely extensively on index, or hand-eye coordination, whatever term one prefers.

I have also asked reddot users to post any quantifiable evidence of improved performance especially in speed department, and I am yet to see anybody to say "My FAST or El Pres went up by so much". In my own record-keeping, reddot considerably improves long-range slow accuracy, but slows me down in any [attempt on] speed shooting.
    The disclaimer is that I've not spent a lot of time with my dot setup.

Actually it's because on a fixed frame mount the optic moves less than on a slide mount. With a gun that has minimal muzzle flip, it's easier to pick up the dot when the optic isn't bouncing around on the slide.
    I don't see folks carrying this sort of setup as opposed to a slide mounted optic.
    #RESIST

They don't, because as far as I'm aware there isn't really a good way to set it up that doesn't interfere with the holster. Unless we all switch to open front race holsters concealed under fairly large fishing vests.

They don't, because as far as I'm aware there isn't really a good way to set it up that doesn't interfere with the holster. Unless we all switch to open front race holsters concealed under fairly large fishing vests.
    Hey! This one is a camera vest!

Saw this posted elsewhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvmRH...eature=related

Shows quite well that one can't track the dot through entire ark of muzzle flip; of course, this would only affect those who are capable of such tracking.

YVK--My RDS equipped pistol worked pretty well in a shooting on the move class ToddG was teaching today--of course maybe I am one of the "mall ninjas" MTechnik has referenced...

DocGKR, good to see you on this website.

Somebody has reported that reddot equipped pistols do well on the move. I think I may see that.

Did you shoot any F.A.S.T drills, or it is not a part of SOM curriculum?

I am taking Pat Rogers two-day pistol class in 7 weeks. I've been kicking around an idea to shoot the first day with irons and second day with reddot. Pat runs a lot of quals so comparative data will be there.

User Tag List