Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vortex Crossfire Red Dot

Any new news on this optic?

I can get a really good price on one, but from what some of you are saying it doesn't seem like this is a very reliable optic. :/

(And yes, spending a kilobuck on an Aimpoint would get me a reliable red dot. Unfortunately, that sort of money is not available for me for a red dot.)

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Any new news on this optic?

I can get a really good price on one, but from what some of you are saying it doesn't seem like this is a very reliable optic. :/

(And yes, spending a kilobuck on an Aimpoint would get me a reliable red dot. Unfortunately, that sort of money is not available for me for a red dot.)
    Looking at one of these myself as a throw in deal on Benelli Supernova Tactical, any reason not to grab it and run it on something like an AR? I wouldn't trust it on a pump shotgun 12 GA but I suspect a light duty AR would hold up well enough.

Anybody using these without failures at this point? Been on the market for a few years now... hoping they are pretty decent option now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Anybody using these without failures at this point? Been on the market for a few years now... hoping they are pretty decent option now.
    I’ve got one. Had it for a few years and have put it on several different long guns, one of which is a semi-auto shotgun. Haven’t had any issues. I just ordered another one for my Turkish shotgun experiment.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Vortex Crossfire Red Dot

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I’ve had at least three for a few years, pretty sure more than that. They mostly lived on various ARs but I did have one on a 590 that I used for a few three gun matches. My only gripe is the brightness, I like dots super bright and it’s only so so bright. Definitely usable, but I like my dots bright enough that it kills Aimpoints in 7-8 months. Completely reasonable for a $150 red dot.

That said, I’m very excited about the Sparc Solar. Between the shake awake and solar charging, that battery life has potential to be stupid long. They upgraded the mount design slightly, and most importantly for me, the dot is brighter. I haven’t even been able to mount mine yet but immediately put it next to a crossfire and it was absolutely brighter.

ETA - I do wish it had 1/2 MOA adjustments. And I did buy a used one that showed up dead. The ones I’ve used have never had an issue but this one was DOA. Vortex had a brand new one to my door in something like 10 days or less. Made in China which is a bummer, but at least Vortex is an American company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went against my instincts and got a Crossfire. Installing (and using a torque wrench at 19 inch/pounds) the mount crossbolt sheared. The max setting is pretty dim too.

Some lessons have to be relearned.

There is no such thing as good cheap optics.
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Went against my instincts and got a Crossfire. Installing (and using a torque wrench at 19 inch/pounds) the mount crossbolt sheared. The max setting is pretty dim too.

Buy a Sparc Solar, they’re much brighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post

Same thing happened to me. Luckily I used the bolt from the tall mount included with the sight and went on (although I did burn though a box of 9mm chasing zero before I figured it out. Vortex sent me some replacements. I ended up torquing down to about 15 in-lbs.

While the sight has worked well for me I do agree that the mount is a weak point of it.

I have a pair of them on 15/22’s. No issues & no drama, but also no recoil.

User Tag List