Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying/Commissioning A Bowie?

Some great names on that list. I've had occasion to meet many of them at one time or another at the Blade and Guild shows over the years. You couldn't go wrong with any of them.

I'd add my old friend Ray Kirk (Master Smith) out of Tahlequah, OK to the list of makers. Ray's a very gifted maker who can make a knife that just plain works its ass off, or as fancy as you please...or both. His prices have always been reasonable and if you contact him, tell him his old friend "blues" sent you.

Ray specializes in forged 52100 which is a great steel.
    Last edited by blues; 02-03-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Gentlemen, thanks for all of the replies. I now have plenty of homework to do, and perhaps a trip to a show, or two, particularly Blade 2018, to continue research. The good thing is that I have an apparently authentic Bagwell, which, though small, is certainly very nice to have, and its being in user condition means I need not fear tucking it under my belt, and toting it out and about. I can take my time, and enjoy the quest.

I am thinking I might acquire a nice Randall Bowie, anyway, which would not preclude continuing the quest for a true custom Bowie. A Raymond Thorp, with a nice wood handle, is quite appealing, and if ordered from a Randall dealer, or prior owner, could be acquired within the same year I retired. The Randall that has recently caught my attention, however, is the Model 2-8. There is something “just right” about it, an evolved, concealable Gladius Americanus.

Ive posted some of my bowies in the past in the gallery sub-forum. In my opinion, while most any knife maker can make a bowie-like knife, the list of guys who can make a good bowie is pretty short. And of those guys, most are very hard to come by due to demand, wait, real jobs, etc. Matt Lamey is one who is obtainable and priced fairly. Other guys such as Jason Knight, Nick Wheeler, Burt Foster, Adam Desrosiers, Kevin Cashen all make awesome blades that can be nearly impossible to get. That said, some of the better custom knife dealers keep spots in their ques that you can order with a lot less wait. Craig Camerer may be a good option also. At any given time, there are up and coming Journeyman Smiths who are accessible.

That said, NO ONE makes a bowie like Bagwell does. You can get them with better fit and finish and prettier but there is no better bowie knife. Even most of the big name guys don't know how to fight with a bowie knife. You can tell in how they're made.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Ive posted some of my bowies in the past in the gallery sub-forum. In my opinion, while most any knife maker can make a bowie-like knife, the list of guys who can make a good bowie is pretty short. And of those guys, most are very hard to come by due to demand, wait, real jobs, etc. Matt Lamey is one who is obtainable and priced fairly. Other guys such as Jason Knight, Nick Wheeler, Burt Foster, Adam Desrosiers, Kevin Cashen all make awesome blades that can be nearly impossible to get. That said, some of the better custom knife dealers keep spots in their ques that you can order with a lot less wait. Craig Camerer may be a good option also. At any given time, there are up and coming Journeyman Smiths who are accessible.

That said, NO ONE makes a bowie like Bagwell does. You can get them with better fit and finish and prettier but there is no better bowie knife. Even most of the big name guys don't know how to fight with a bowie knife. You can tell in how they're made.
    I've had or currently have work by Lamey, Wheeler and Kevin Cashen and agree they do very nice work.

Check out Liontribe Designs. I purchased one of his knives for a friend and she loves it. Very well made and while a lot of his designs are a little more "exotic", I'm sure he can make anything you want.
    Last edited by eaglefrq; 02-13-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.

Jason Knight is who I would ask for a Bowie right now.

I have an Ontario Knives Hell's Belle (the all black one) and it is plenty to give one a hankering for a real custom one. Personally, I'd just order from Bill Bagwell and wait however long is necessary.

P.S. the coffin handle may look clunky but it works extraordinarily well in the hand.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I have the Bagwell Hell's Belle and the Ontario version. I like both.

This guy does some nice work.

https://www.tmhuntcustomknives.com/

User Tag List