Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Buying/Commissioning A Bowie?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61284[/ATTACH

Something a little rougher perhaps? Dan Brock, Plowshare Forge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Ha! I already commented on that knife months ago. This post this morning was damn near word for word! At least I'm consistent

Reading through the thread and seeing @Poconner mention the Camillius-Fisk OVB Bowie lead me to one that was NOS. Thanks Guys! The last thing I pictured for today was buying a Bowie knife

Now I'll have to hunt down a copy of Alan Ladd in, "The Iron Mistress"
    Last edited by FNFAN; 10-04-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Roshambo View Post
    Rex,

I just registered on the forum as I found your reviews and pics of Covington Belle's very useful. I just purchased a recent creation from Greg and should be getting her soon. This one was forged from a U.S. made vintage bastard mill file and an old sycamore barn door (likely hog barn), with aged hammered copper. The whole piece has a rustic finish and I'm very excited to receive her.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174458833491

Also is it possible to upload pics direct or do I have to link to URL?

V/R
    -Chris
    I saw that one, on the evil bay, as it popped into my Saved Searches. My Covington-made Belle looks much like it, but, of course, differs in details. Each if different, which is a good thing.

Enjoy!

Edited to add: I believe it is possible to upload images directly, but I have to re-learn each time I try to do it, and have given up, the last couple of times I have tried.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I saw that one, on the evil bay, as it popped into my Saved Searches. My Covington-made Belle looks much like it, but, of course, differs in details. Each if different, which is a good thing.

Enjoy!

Edited to add: I believe it is possible to upload images directly, but I have to re-learn each time I try to do it, and have given up, the last couple of times I have tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roshambo View Post
    Rex,

I just registered on the forum as I found your reviews and pics of Covington Belle's very useful. I just purchased a recent creation from Greg and should be getting her soon. This one was forged from a U.S. made vintage bastard mill file and an old sycamore barn door (likely hog barn), with aged hammered copper. The whole piece has a rustic finish and I'm very excited to receive her.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174458833491

Also is it possible to upload pics direct or do I have to link to URL?

V/R
    -Chris
    Hi, Chris, Rex!

Posting pics is very easy: you don’t need a file sharing service, you can post them directly.

Once you click on “reply to thread” to start your response post, you will see a selection of icons above the text box where you type. On the second, or middle, row of icons, there is a group of five with a tiny world with several chain links superimposed on it on the left side, and what might resemble a piece of movie film on the right. Next to the film icon is another icon with four tiny black squares in the corners and a very blurry tree in the middle. That is the pictures icon.

Select the pictures icon, and you will get a pop-up that says “insert image” with two tabs labeled “computer” and “URL”. Select the tab you need - I always use the computer - then select the “Choose file” button. Selecting that allows you to browse your computer and select your picture. You may need to choose a smaller file size, depending on how large the original picture file is. If you do that, the system will compress your image a bit and load faster. Once you have selected the picture, there is a button that says “upload file(s)”. Select that, then wait a bit while it loads. Once the pop-up goes away, there will be text in your message box. Don’t mess with it - that’s the code for your picture file - but you can type your message before or after the code, and even upload more pictures to the same message.

When you are done writing the message, just post as normal. Easy!

Site Supporter
    I just got lucky and bought a Covington Hell’s Belle. I won’t call it my grail but I’m getting closer. I checks off most of the boxes except two. It doesn’t have a distal taper to the blade so it doesn’t have that live a d part off you feel. Still it’s a great knife and looks awesome. But If I want a Bowie chopper this is my new go to.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]62994[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    My search has led me to an Ontario Bagwell Hell’s Belle. This knife feels great in your hand. Light and fast. My Covington hell’s Belle balance point is very blade heavy. It feels like it just wants to chop.
    My newest Bowie is a Damascus Hell’s Belle by Ricardo Vilar. This one is beautiful, light, fast and balanced. It does not feel like a big knife. I thinks it time to learn how to use a hell’s Belle for fighting. It is very easy to carry it IWB. Any suggestions?
    Name:  EAAAFCE2-B703-4308-AA95-D2E2FB461506.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  67.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    My search has led me to an Ontario Bagwell Hell’s Belle. This knife feels great in your hand. Light and fast. My Covington hell’s Belle balance point is very blade heavy. It feels like it just wants to chop.
    My newest Bowie is a Damascus Hell’s Belle by Ricardo Vilar. This one is beautiful, light, fast and balanced. It does not feel like a big knife. I thinks it time to learn how to use a hell’s Belle for fighting. It is very easy to carry it IWB. Any suggestions?
    Bagwell's book and Mclemore's Bowie and Big Knife Fighting.

James Keating has quite a bit of Bowie content.

WOW! That is nice.

Is the clip sharpened?

Site Supporter
    The clip is sharpened and the knife is scary sharp. It is surprisingly light in your hand.

The clip is sharpened and the knife is scary sharp. It is surprisingly light in your hand.
    I found a video on Vilar's IG where he cuts a soda can in half with a quick slice, using the clip of one of his Hells Belles.

Impressive.

User Tag List