Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying/Commissioning A Bowie?

Buying/Commissioning A Bowie?

Now that I am freshly retired from LEO-ing, and being a life-long resident of SE Texas, a nice large Bowie blade seems to be a fitting grail, for which to start a quest. A Bowie knife is bit of Excalibur, and more than a bit of Texas/Louisiana history/heritage; what’s not to like? The first maker entering my mind is Bill Bagwell, as I have one of his smaller blades, a bit over 7”, purchased pre-owned, and looking a bit used by its previous owner(s). For an actual carry Bowie, the Bagwell I have on hand may serve quite well enough. For reference, it is about the size of a Randall 1-7.

If I were to decide upon a high-end production blade, the Randall Raymond Thorp Bowie has my attention. I am not saying that the author, Raymond Thorp, necessarily wrote true history; historical fiction is probably more accurate. I am not interested in the brass-backed blade concept, whether it is historically accurate, or not. This model does seem to ber. Reasonable resemblance to some Bowies in historic photos. A big drawback is that it is quite heavy, though not as heavy as the Randall Smithsonian Bowie.

A more practical Bowie, from Randall, is the “12-9-14.” This is the Randall, Model 12, 9-inch blade, with the blade ground in the manner of the Randall Model 14.

A couple of other makers, who have been associated with Bill Bagwell, have made knives that really captured my attention, in the past, but I have not yet been able to confirm they are still making blades.
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-02-2018 at 12:16 PM.

I have been looking for a custom Damascus Bowie. one with a more modern handle, brass guard and top drop edge sharp.

Good luck on your search man and be sure and post some pics of it when you get one. Oh Native Texan here.!!!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Site Supporter
    I would bet that @blues would have some insight into commisioning a custom knife.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I would bet that @blues would have some insight into commisioning a custom knife.
    I've been a lot less active in the last few years...but yeah, I've had a lot of knives made for me by various makers over the years. Happy to help if I can.

I only own one Bowie, however, the one by John Fitch I posted recently...and that was one I bought from another forum member on bladeforums at the time.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Jason Knight does very good work, and is a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

If I were to decide upon a high-end production blade, the Randall Raymond Thorp Bowie has my attention. I am not saying that the author, Raymond Thorp, necessarily wrote true history; historical fiction is probably more accurate. I am not interested in the brass-backed blade concept, whether it is historically accurate, or not. This model does seem to bear a reasonable resemblance to some Bowies in historic photos. A big drawback is that it is quite heavy, though not as heavy as the Randall Smithsonian Bowie.
    To late to edit the original post, so I quoted myself, and fixed it there. On a good day, I can type.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Jason Knight does very good work, and is a good guy.
    I saw his name mentioned on another forum, too. I will start looking. Thanks!

http://jonasblade.com

This is in my neck of the woods. I'm no knife expert, but I've been impressed with the samples of his work I've seen.

Site Supporter
    I really like the bowies from ML Knives. I've never had one, but I also haven't ever head anything bad about his work.

This one was pretty cool, too.

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=pages&id=165

Antique Bowie Knife Association Awards: For the finest representation of a 19th Century Bowie Knife submitted by Master Smith and Journeyman Smith

1995 Joseph Keeslar, Master Smith and Jim Walker, Journeyman Smith
    1996 James Batson, Master Smith and Jim Walker, Journeyman Smith
    1997 Tim Hancock, Master Smith and Wade Colter, Journeyman Smith
    1998 Harvey Dean, Master Smith and Joe Szilaski, Journeyman Smith
    1999 Harvey Dean, Master Smith and Ron Newton, Journeyman Smith
    2000 Harvey Dean, Master Smith and Ron Newton, Journeyman Smith
    2001 Harvey Dean, Master Smith, Ron Newton, Master Smith and Ken Durham, Journeyman Smith
    2002 Harvey Dean, Master Smith and Ken Durham, Journeyman Smith
    2003 Kevin Harvey, Master Smith and Billy Bob Sowell, Journeyman Smith
    2004 Bailey Bradshaw, Master Smith and Billy Bob Sowell, Journeyman Smith
    2005 John Perry, Master Smith and Billy Bob Sowell, Journeyman Smith
    2006 Doug Noren, Master Smith and Lin Rhea, Journeyman Smith
    2007 Harvey Dean, Master Smith and Matt Diskin, Journeyman Smith
    2008 John Perry, Mastersmith, Matt Diskin, Journeyman Smith and Jerry Van Eizenga, Journeyman Smith
    2009 Doug Noren, Master Smith and Jerry Van Eizenga, Journeyman Smith
    2010 Jim Batson, Master Smith and Kyle Royer, Journeyman Smith
    2011 James Batson, MS and Butch Sheely, JS
    2012 James Batson, MS and Jerry Van Eizenga, JS
    2013 James Batson, MS and Butch Sheely, JS
    2014 Doug Noren, MS and Butch Sheely, JS
    2015 Doug Noren, MS and Mace Vitale, JS
    2016 Timothy Potier, MSS and Butch Sheely, JS

User Tag List