Thread: B&T USW 320

Site Supporter

B&T USW 320

Building on the success of their original Universal Service Weapon (USW) pistol, Swiss firearms and suppressor manufacturer B&T has designed a new polymer version based on the P320. Besides the modularity of the new USW-320, the frame itself is imported and sold as an uncontrolled part – meaning customers will be able to to buy it simply as a part or accessory and either add their existing P320 fire control group or purchase a new group through a licensed dealer.

Of course, prior to dropping a P320 fire control group into the USW-320 frame with a stock, owners will need to complete an ATF 5320.1 Form 1 – Application to Make an NFA Item – pay the $200 “making” tax and wait for approval. The upside of this process is that without the stock, the USW-320 with the fire control group is just considered a pistol that can be used prior to receiving your Form 1 and tax stamp. In addition, B&T has made the NFA engraving process easier by providing a suitable place for the required markings on the frame rather than directly on the fire control group.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/02/01/usw-320/

This would work with an M17 and DPP MRDS as well.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-02-2018 at 11:11 AM.

This is the only thing that's made the 320 even remotely interesting to me!

Red dot reciprocates. Meh. The stock might make is slightly easier to track, but it looks rather awkward to me, given how short the LOP is. All conjecture, since I've never shot a handgun with a stock.

I really liked the original USW concept, as it theoretically provides 2 (shoulder stock, non-reciprocating sight) out of 3 of the major advantages of a carbine vs. a pistol, in a collapsed package marginally larger than a full sized service pistol. It's still limited by pistol caliber terminal effects, but 2/3 ain't bad.

Although I think the USW is a great platform for the P320 system, I am much less enthused about it retaining the pistol's slide-mounted sighting system. I prefer fixed red-dot for both ease of use and durability/reliability reasons. I'm also really confused about engraving NFA info on the USW portion, which is a non-serialized component, vs. engraving the serialized FCU.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I really liked the original USW concept, as it theoretically provides 2 (shoulder stock, non-reciprocating sight) out of 3 of the major advantages of a carbine vs. a pistol, in a collapsed package marginally larger than a full sized service pistol. It's still limited by pistol caliber terminal effects, but 2/3 ain't bad.

Although I think the USW is a great platform for the P320 system, I am much less enthused about it retaining the pistol's slide-mounted sighting system. I prefer fixed red-dot for both ease of use and durability/reliability reasons. I'm also really confused about engraving NFA info on the USW portion, which is a non-serialized component, vs. engraving the serialized FCU.
    Engrave the barrel. It meets the letter of the law.

Site Supporter
    Here is B&T’s competition:

That B&T stock along with a ALG style T2 mount would be the perfect sidearm for the vast majority of "foot patrol" security/LE like at airports, military bases, churches, banks, etc.
    Especially with a properly designed retention holster and the stock folded to the side.
    You could have a pistol sized package with sub-gun shootability.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-04-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    That B&T stock along with a ALG style T2 mount would be the perfect sidearm for the vast majority of "foot patrol" security/LE like at airports, military bases, churches, banks, etc.
    Especially with a properly designed retention holster and the stock folded to the side.
    Agreed. The EXO ONE is better as a pseudo carbine as theRDS doesn’t reciprocate but it won’t carry like a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

This is exactly why I liked the original USW. Whether via ALG or the original receiver bridge, a non-reciprocating sight and retention holster would be the bee’s knees for the roles you listed.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I'd be interested in a Glock version of this frame. Yeah I know it would be a firearm in and of itself, but sell it as an 80% receiver and let the end-user form 1 it. I have no use for the 80% frames Glock frames out there right now because they don't offer anything to me that a factory receiver doesn't offer, but something like that would.

User Tag List