Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: FISA Memo

And now the Grassley-Graham Memo....

haven't read it.. but initial buzz is more details about the dossier.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I just want my country back...with its values intact.

I don't want to hear about hyphen Americans of any ilk. I want to hear about Americans and what we're doing to make the country safe, strong and viable going forward for all Americans regardless of their predilections or any other skin deep (apparent) differences.

We don't need different classes of Americans, or special laws that mark them as a separate entity, as that just divides us. We need to go back to core American values, and by that I don't mean the ones that allowed slavery or Japanese internment or turning our backs on those in need.

How about we just treat each other like we'd want to be treated and take the country back. That'd be "change you can believe in" and "making America great again" in my humble opinion. Or at least a start worth working toward.

And the politicians and political appointees that are ruining our institutions...how about we just throw all the bums out by refusing to return those who promote them to elected office.

(Hey, a guy can dream can't he?)
    I've been staying the hell out of the political threads and intend to continue to do so, but I support the above. Umm... now how do we do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I've been staying the hell out of the political threads and intend to continue to do so, but I support the above. Umm... now how do we do it?
    I guess we each start by making the best, most responsible and ethical decisions we can in our daily lives. I don't know of any shortcuts.

Let your elected representatives know where you stand and vote them out of office if they don't represent your point of view. (Unfortunately, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" is too often the case.)

No guarantee of things going our way but it's better than just sitting on the sideline ranting.

Not that I'm particularly sanguine about our chances of turning this apparently rudderless ship around, but I don't want to see things come to "burn it down to the waterline".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

On a lighter note, the Adam Schiff prank, if it's actually him (does sound like Mr. Bugeyes) is rather hilarious.

Pics of "Naked Trump"

disclaimer: I'm not claiming this as fact. I am, however, waiting for the avalanche of memes... the Audio *was* played on Fox.
    Last edited by critter; 02-07-2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: fixed the link
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Now there are texts referencing “hitting thumb drives” from the love birds not long after the networks started calling states for Trump. I’m sure it’s all innocent though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redacted versions of the FISA applications have been released. The Cliff’s Notes version is that the FBI believed Carter Page to be an agent of the Russian government. While the Steele memo played a significant role, it seems that the court was made aware that the Steele memo was derived from opposition research trying to discredit Trump’s campaign. Thus, both sides have something to argue about going forward.

https://themarketswork.com/2018/07/2...-applications/
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-22-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Redacted versions of the FISA applications have been released. The Cliff’s Notes version is that the FBI believed Carter Page to be an agent of the Russian government. While the Steele memo played a significant role, it seems that the court was made aware that the Steele memo was derived from opposition research trying to discredit Trump’s campaign. Thus, both sides have something to argue about going forward.
    Based upon the extensions, the Steele dossier was corroborated and played less of a role as the FBI investigation proceeded. Nunes basically outed as a politically motivated hack.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Based upon the extensions, the Steele dossier was corroborated and played less of a role as the FBI investigation proceeded. Nunes basically outed as a politically motivated hack.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Actually, I don’t see any evidence or even a suggestion from Trump’s most ardent detractors that the Steele Dossier was corroborated. Yes, the purpose of the memo’s existence was disclosed to the judges, but nothing has been corroborated including the entire premise behind the investigation that Carter Page (and possibly others within the Trump Campaign) was a Russian spy. I’d be interested to see your evidence supporting the content about golden showers or even Carter Page being a spy.

Based on the released information, I feel that the FBI/DOJ probably met the necessary legal thresholds before the FISA court. However, I remain unconvinced that the entire investigation as a whole was predicated on a legitimate concern for Russian spying as opposed to an effort to hamstring Trump’s administration in the off chance that he won. While they (meaning Comey, Clapper, McCabe, et al) were within the letter of the law, theere actions were not ethical as we are learning from various IG reports.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-22-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

And Congressmen Nunes and Jordan knew this well.

"Now we have some additional information in the form of the redacted FISA applications themselves, and the Nunes memo looks even worse. In my earlier post, I observed that the FBI’s disclosures about Steele were contained in a footnote, but argued that this did not detract from their sufficiency: “As someone who has read and approved many FISA applications and dealt extensively with the FISA Court, I will anticipate and reject a claim that the disclosure was somehow insufficient because it appeared in a footnote; in my experience, the court reads the footnotes.” Now we can see that the footnote disclosing Steele’s possible bias takes up more than a full page in the applications, so there is literally no way the FISA Court could have missed it. The FBI gave the court enough information to evaluate Steele’s credibility."

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-mak...a-applications
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

A couple items courtesy Instapundit:
    Instapundit » Blog Archive » KIMBERLEY STRASSEL:... links to WSJ: Devin Nunes, Washington’s Public Enemy No. 1: What did the FBI do in the 2016 campaign? The head of the House inquiry on what he has found—and questions still unanswered.
    ...This spring Mr. Nunes obtained information showing the FBI had used informants to gather intelligence on the Trump camp. The Justice Department is still playing hide-and-seek with documents. “We still don’t know how many informants were run before July 31, 2016”—the official open of the counterintelligence investigation—“and how much they were paid. That’s the big outstanding question,” he says. Mr. Nunes adds that the department and the FBI haven’t done anything about the unmaskings or taken action against the Flynn leakers—because, in his view, “they are too busy working with Democrats to cover all this up.”

He and his committee colleagues in June sent a letter asking Mr. Trump to declassify at least 20 pages of the FISA application. Mr. Nunes says they are critical: “If people think using the Clinton dirt to get a FISA is bad, what else that’s in that application is even worse.”

Mr. Nunes has harsh words for his adversaries. How, he asks, can his committee’s Democrats, who spent years “worrying about privacy and civil liberties,” be so blasé about unmaskings, surveillance of U.S. citizens, and intelligence leaks? On the FBI: “I’m not the one that used an unverified dossier to get a FISA warrant,” Mr. Nunes says. “I’m not the one who obstructed a congressional investigation. I’m not the one who lied and said Republicans paid for the dossier. I’m just one of a few people in a position to get to the bottom of it.” And on the press: “Today’s media is corrupt. It’s chosen a side. But it’s also making itself irrelevant. The sooner Republicans understand that, the better.”
    and Instapundit » Blog Archive » BYRON YORK links to Washington Examiner: Next step: House Intel asks Trump to declassify rest of FISA application; tantalizing clues about pages 10-12 and 17-34.
    The release of a heavily-redacted version of the FBI’s application for a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act warrant to wiretap onetime Trump foreign policy adviser Carter Page has spurred calls to remove the redactions, to un-black out the pages blacked out by the FBI before the document was made public.

The long sections of censored material have made it impossible to reach definitive conclusions about the warrant application. It has also led to the publication of de-contextualized sensational accusations. For example, page 8 of the original warrant application contains a passage which begins with two blacked-out lines, then includes the words “the FBI believes that the Russian Government’s efforts are being coordinated with Page and perhaps other individuals associated with Candidate #1’s [Donald Trump’s] campaign,” and continues with more blacked-out material. Is there a critical prefatory clause in that sentence fragment? The answer is unclear.
    Defenders of the FBI have begun to argue that the blacked-out portions contain the truly powerful evidence that supports their position... It’s a point that is impossible to assess as long as the application remains heavily redacted. Which is why House Intelligence Committee Chairman Rep. Devin Nunes — the man most responsible for bringing the application to light in the first place — is asking President Trump to declassify the rest of the warrant application.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List