Thread: Muzzle Pads

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar

Muzzle Pads

We're finally breaking into this arena but wanted to take a quick survey of desired sizes for a pad. Our initial offering will include both a pad and a backer to balance between muzzle manipulation, comfort, holster movement, and sweat. Right now around business card sized and up to 3/4" thick seems to be a sweet spot for most. Thoughts?
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

i use the large mastermind pad the most with their standard thickness being second. I'll have to measure for sure but that sounds pretty good

Eta - i measured my most used size and they are 1" to 1 1/8" it seems. I may be in the minority though as i like more wedge in a stiffer material. 3/4 would probably work for me on the right holster pending how much give the wedge has.
    Last edited by backtrail540; 01-31-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Yes the one I use most is about 3/4" thick and approx business card size. I also have a bigger and smaller size and rarely use either.

The one I use on my g19 holster is about 1/2" bigger (taller if looking at a card in it's normal orientation) than a business card and between 3/4 and 1". I have a thicker one for a g17 (about 1.25") but I don't use that holster as much, so I never cut it down to size and its a little large to be comfortable.

That sounds about right. Any longer and it will ride under the belt loops, effectively thickening the holster or the wedge will have to hang past the holster body, thinning it out. Mine is 3/4” after being compressed and it’s a little overkill.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

In my experience 3/4" inch thick would be the absolute minimum. I played around with different thicknesses and eventually found that wedges work the best for me.

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    In my experience 3/4" inch thick would be the absolute minimum. I played around with different thicknesses and eventually found that wedges work the best for me.
    Is that 3/4" accounting for some amount of compression or is that the compressed thickness desired? Our method will be plush but there won't be as much compression as the comparable sawed down blocks of foam.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star Gear View Post
    Is that 3/4" accounting for some amount of compression or is that the compressed thickness desired? Our method will be plush but there won't be as much compression as the comparable sawed down blocks of foam.
    That's the minimal compressed thickness I would want to help bring the back of the slide in tight. In my experience, less than that has little effect other than some padding.

I use the Vdevgroup large wedge on my darkstar holster. It works well, and is the definitely the thickest I would ever need/want if not a little too thick. That being said, a little too thick can be trimmed once the foam compresses and settles. A little too thin and you're just buying another, larger wedge.

I'll also reiterate, as I'm sure most on here already know how much difference tiny adjustments in the location of the wedge can make. A quarter inch up or down on the holster changes where the wedge hits on your anatomy and how much leveraging force it exerts. The sweet spot can be elusive and specific, but its there!

User Tag List