Thread: Modifying VZ Knframe grips

Modifying VZ K frame grips

Not a huge fan of the VZ RB finger groove grips. Thought about getting the SB grips and modifying them to RB. Anyone tried that? Got the idea from Dagga Boys sweet Heirloom 64. His look like a hybrid not quite either SB or RB mod but leaning more towards SB.

Never messed w G10 like that. Any safety issues to worry about?
    Last edited by Lon; 01-30-2018 at 07:42 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm not specially knowledgeable on G10, but...
    The materials is a cured resin (might just be inert dust, might have chemical properties that aren't wonderful) and fiberglass (definitely don't want to breathe the dust, and don't want it in your skin). Treat the dust as hazardous, as is wise with any sanding dust. My favorite place to do sanding was over a downdraft dust sucking bench. Haven't had that setup for a long time, unfortunately.

It might be beneficial to work the stuff in water, so the dust is contained and doesn't fly around.

SB will give you more material to work with.

You might mock up some panels and work on developing what you want with soft wood, just to get the shape right with a material that's both less expensive and easier to work with.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I would wear a respirator. Silicosis might be an issue from the glass fiber in G10.

Ed Thuesen who used to own Texas Knifemaker Supply told me in the 1990s that he had permanent lung damage from grinding tropical hardwoods.

Looks like altamont has a similar idea... their Altai line of grips, checkered, uncheckered, round, square...Name:  xSKR-AL07.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EPA6kgxCna.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  19.9 KB

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...esson/k-round/

These came in today (Love Amazon Sunday delivery).

Name:  90B93C98-C5AB-4B87-A00A-986D004F294C.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  65.9 KB

Think I’m gonna send em back and get the checkered ones. These are slicker than I’d like.

Looking at the excess material I’m wondering what would be easier - grinding them down to match the RB contour or using a correct width piece of delrin or some other material to create a “plug” that would fill the open space?

Whatcha think?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Looks like the back strap is proud of the grip at the top and mid-arch. I assume your question about a spacer is referring to the open space behind the trigger guard. Overall, I'd be pretty disappointed with that fit.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This is the “gap” I’m talking about filling w a plug.

Name:  D6F2541D-C62B-44DC-A6BA-E34F2F28B0D0.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  44.0 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.

User Tag List