Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm Parts. What does each part do and how?

Apples & Oranges

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    ... would require a significant amount of heat over a fairly large area for a period of time to "change" the heat treat of that part. ...

...So yes, be careful what you grind on and how you do it. But it is not that easy to change the heat treatment of a part.

I would like to clear up, what could appear a contradiction or disagreement, but is not. I stated that you could easily, accidently change the temper of a part and Ernest pointed out (correctly so) that you cannot so easily change the heat treating of a part. Both are correct data points.

Here’s why: Heat treatment and tempering are two separate processes.

In a simplified explanation: Heat treating is done at a very high temperature (as @DAB pointed out). It causes iron molecules to allow carbon molecules to be brought into them. This makes a stronger, harder steel. Often this is too hard or brittle, but makes a good core or metal composition.
    Tempering uses much less heat to employ molecular stimulation to adjust hardness without changing composition. This process requires precision, based on the part’s intended use.

So, heat treating affects metal composition and tempering adjusts hardness or softness, as desired.

You could affect heat treatment, but as Ernest pointed out, it would be very difficult to do. Tempering can be mal-affected more easily. My point being, don’t lose your temper.

exactly.

and if you didn't follow any of that, just buy more ammo and practice more. there are so many quality guns on the market, straight from the factory, that you do not need to mess with the internals to have a good shooting gun. i've swapped the 16# "D" spring for a 12# spring in my 92 Brig Tac. that's it. i'll give the very smart guys at Beretta much credit for designing and making a quality pistol. the only missing part is the nut holding the pistol (me).

this applies to others makes of pistols as well.

heat treat: about 1400F

temper: 250-400F

one wrap up note:

as the linked chart shows, there are many, many alloys of steel. and the properties of the alloy depend on the material composition (percentages of carbon and other trace elements), how they were formed (cast, forged), how they were heat treated and tempered, and even how they were machined and finished.

unless you know the alloy and how it was made, you have no idea how it will react to what you are planning to do to it.

there are literally thousands of alloys available to any manufacturer of metal parts. steel is not just steel.

so trust your favorite manufacturer for doing his homework and picking the best material for the application at hand, and go make some holes in paper.

Warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    one wrap up note:

as the linked chart shows, there are many, many alloys of steel. and the properties of the alloy depend on the material composition (percentages of carbon and other trace elements), how they were formed (cast, forged), how they were heat treated and tempered, and even how they were machined and finished.

unless you know the alloy and how it was made, you have no idea how it will react to what you are planning to do to it.

there are literally thousands of alloys available to any manufacturer of metal parts. steel is not just steel.

so trust your favorite manufacturer for doing his homework and picking the best material for the application at hand, and go make some holes in paper.
    This is also why most companies will void your warranty if you alter a part. It is not only the alteration, but they can't know how you did it.

same reason they only warranty if you shoot factory ammo. they know the loadings of factory ammo, but they don't know your pet handload, or if you double charged it.

Hammer spring caps

The reason that the full size PX4 Storms, the Compacts and SubCompacts can use the same hammer springs with the same results, even though the grips are different lengths, is found in the hammer spring caps.

As the grip gets shorter you would think that the spring would get compressed more. Though the SubCompact uses different hammer struts in order to fit, they all use the same spring.

The shorter the grip, the shorter the hammer spring cap to even them out.

These are from a full size and a Compact

Name:  Caps Comp & Storm.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  37.1 KB

This is from a SubCompact

Name:  Cap Sub.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  43.6 KB

Third barrel lockup

Barrel to slide lockup after rotation lockup

In comment 38 on page 4 of this thread I showed how the PX4 has a 180° lockup due to its rotating barrel system.

Now I will show how that after the rotation, when the slide moves rearward without the barrel, the barrel and slide are still in close contact to maintain the straight alignment of the barrel and slide to each other.

When one lockup releases the other takes hold. This is a simple, yet smart design.

This part of the barrel lug-

Name:  Barrel-slide lock up during reqarward motion (2).jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  31.1 KB

Rides tightly along this area of the slide, to lock them together while the slide and barrel are unlocked from the rotation lock-

Name:  Barrel-slide lock up during reqarward motion (1).jpg
Views: 979
Size:  38.4 KB
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-16-2019 at 06:22 PM.

In the groove?

When the hammer assembly pin is to be removed for maintenance or parts changing, it is good to know what holds it in place and how it should or could be removed.

Name:  Grooves  (1).jpg
Views: 880
Size:  24.7 KB

It is held in place by the sear spring.

Name:  Grooves  (2).jpg
Views: 915
Size:  49.5 KB

You could release the sear spring’s bottom leg to release the pressure and then just push it out. You could also use a punch and tap it out.

Which is better? It depends upon if you feel confident in taking a tiny screw driver or tool and moving the sear spring.
    If not and you just want to tap it out... that is ok also.

Here’s why:

Name:  Grooves  (3).jpg
Views: 888
Size:  60.5 KB

The groove in the hammer pin is square edged (center pointer), as is the breakdown lever from a PX4 SubCompact (left pointer). These are meant to be, either rotated to release the spring from the groove (Sub) or have the spring pushed out of the groove first (hammer pin).

But if you look closely, the hammer assembly pin (right pointer) has curved grooves on all sides for easy removal or placement without the spring being moved first. So, either way will work.

@PX4 Storm Tracker You sir, are a genius! I could have really used this information, I am glad I got it now! Thanks so much for all the hard work and effort you did for this thread!

Useful tool

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    @PX4 Storm Tracker You sir, are a genius! I could have really used this information, I am glad I got it now! Thanks so much for all the hard work and effort you did for this thread!
    Thank you for the kind words! The PX4 Storm is a most enjoyable platform.

User Tag List