Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm Parts. What does each part do and how?

Pin & spring rotation

I also have broken down the springs and pins into categories for rotation.

The springs are divided into those that affect safety or cycle of operation and those that affect trigger pull. I try to not replace the springs pertaining to trigger pull if not necessary.

Springs that apply to safety:
    Firing pin block plunger spring: Every 25,000 or so. This gets dirty and getting stuck in the upward position would be dangerous.
    Trigger bar spring: Every 30,000. The trigger bar needs to vigorously pop up to fire quickly.
    Hammer pin retaining spring: If it is low or weak your hammer pin can drift out and catch on clothing, holster or skin. In .45 they can drift if not solid. I go by feel and height of top bar.
    Slide catch spring: Depending on if you go to slide lock a lot, replace when weak (should go a long time)
    Decocker (safety) lever spring: The firing pin helps stabilize the decocker shaft, but a strong, new spring will assist in keeping things in place.
    Magazine release spring: It is strong and solid. Should last a long time (but watch the catch on the mag release outer housing).
    Disassembly latch spring: I change this every 20,000. It is a thin spring and doesn't like being removed for cleaning.

If you are not sure of the spring's health and can't tell by feel, lay it down next to a new one and see if it is shorter or bent more.

Springs that apply to function:
    Extractor springs: In .45 an overly tight extractor will impede cycling. Too light and it can jump off the rim of the brass under fire. While it is true that the extractor does not extract while firing (the brass pushes the slide back), the extractor's resistance directs the casing's clearing of the ejection port while ejecting. Beretta shaped the breech face in a curvature that will direct the brass in case of extractor breakage or failure. The PX4 is designed to work with a broken or missing extractor. I go by "feel" of the spring's tension.

Springs that apply to trigger pull:
    Hammer spring: I try to make it last forever. Light primer hits will indicate a need to replace.
    Trigger spring: The lighter the better... except... the trigger spring needs to briskly return the trigger forward fast enough for rapid fire.
    Firing pin spring: The hammer strike must overcome it. I clean in the firing pin channel every 5,000 rounds and test firing pin fluidity.
    Sear spring: This must be pushed forward by the trigger bar. It should last a long time. Indications of problems- failing to catch the hammer when cocking.

Pins: Drift pins should be permanent (hammer spring cap pin, sear pivot pin)
    The hammer frame pin can get its slot for the retention spring worn. Indications are failure to hold even a new spring.
    Decocker/safety lever pin: Every 3 times it goes in and out, I replace it. If too loose it can drift and stop lever movement. The older the levers, the more frequent the pin change.
    Extractor pin: I try to go 3 or 4 times with it. The extractor smooths a path on it that can assist free movement.
    The trigger pivot pin can look worn, but run a toothpick over it to verify that it is only the finish that is worn.

If anyone wants clarity or explanations of these details, let me know.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 08-12-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Badass thread, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10Q

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Badass thread, man.
    Thanks!

NP3 coating information

NP3 coating of pistol parts became unavailable when Robar closed down. It took some follow up and research, but here is a list of places that will now do that job. Parts will go to the very same people that Robar used to send them to.

Wright Armory
    250 S Mulberry #102,
    Mesa, AZ 85202
    (480) 550-0965
    brian@wrightarmory.com
    https://wrightarmory.com

Amerigun USA
    4024 Martus Rd,
    North Branch, MI 48461
    (248) 343-4854
    info@amerigunusa.com
    http://www.amerigunusa.com/

Cylinder and Slide
    245 E. 4th Street
    Fremont, Nebraska 68025
    (800) 448-1713
    Randy@cylinder-slide.com
    https://www.cylinder-slide.com/

Vang Comp Systems
    2805 N. Hwy 89, Unit C,
    Chino Valley, AZ 86323
    (928) 636-8455
    cody@vangcomp.com
    https://vangcomp.com/

Cajun Gun Works
    197 Parkway Circle
    West Monroe, LA 71292
    (318) 738-1464
    cajungunworks@gmail.com
    https://cajungunworks.com/

SubCompact breakdown lever spring

It has come to my attention that there is no info out there on how to remove, clean and replace the SubCompact PX4 breakdown lever spring. So, I will attempt to make a picture "tutorial" (if that is the right word).

To remove: The spring can be accessed here-
    Name:  Sub spring (1).jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  74.3 KB
    Push the spring to the rear of the pistol (opposite of the pointer's direction)

Dislodge the spring's tall leg from its slot-
    Name:  Sub spring (5).jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  41.2 KB

Pull it up and forward at around 30°
    Name:  Sub spring (3).jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  45.7 KB

To put it back, insert the same way and position so that the short end with the hook aligns to the right pointer below and the curve to the left pointer-
    Name:  Sub spring (2).jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  46.0 KB

Push the longer leg back into its catch spot, as originally positioned. It should look like this, when seated-
    Name:  Sub spring 6.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  50.1 KB

Sooo, this orientation? Hook part in first, then pop in the straight side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Spring insertion

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Sooo, this orientation? Hook part in first, then pop in the straight side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Correct. You will see the exact angle you need as you get there, but yes. Hooked end first, curve second, long leg third.

Magazine "star" symbol

So I am looking over my new PX4 compact today. Wiped out the inside of each magazine. The magazines had a tacky feel about them. I noticed that both magazines had a 'star' imprinted on the back of them. Just wondering what it meant. Any help would be appreciated!!

Mags

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    So I am looking over my new PX4 compact today. Wiped out the inside of each magazine. The magazines had a tacky feel about them. I noticed that both magazines had a 'star' imprinted on the back of them. Just wondering what it meant. Any help would be appreciated!!
    I have found that some rubbing alcohol on paper towels, pushed through with wooden skewers will get the insides and outsides of those magazines bristol fashion.

I have only been able to find out that the star on the magazines is an inspection and completion marking. It is difficult to verify that. But, there are no lot or shipment indications that separate different magazines from having that star.

User Tag List