Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a 3" S&W Model 65-5

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I will never understand the extremely ramped front sights on the fixed sight models, but like everything else about the K-frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The serrations on the ramped K fixed sights are much better than the non serrated ramp on my ‘75 Colt DS. That one is tougher for old eyes.
    I had good luck with painting the front sight on my 442 with one coat white and two coats of orange fishing lure paint. Going to try that on the stainless 65 this week.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    The serrations on the ramped K fixed sights are much better than the non serrated ramp on my ‘75 Colt DS. That one is tougher for old eyes.
    I had good luck with painting the front sight on my 442 with one coat white and two coats of orange fishing lure paint. Going to try that on the stainless 65 this week.
    It’ll help. Frankly, it helps K-sights even more than J-sights, since they’re easier to see in the first place.

Site Supporter
    Detective Special front sights are definitely the worst. Serrations help, but a more vertical back face of the sight helps at least as much.

My Detective Special has an orange epoxy insert installed by a then-local gunsmith. The work was very well done, but the degree to which it helped was minimal. I cannot comment on whether painting would work with a fixed K-frame sight, but it would be of minimal value on a Detective Special sight.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Detective Special front sights are definitely the worst. Serrations help, but a more vertical back face of the sight helps at least as much.

My Detective Special has an orange epoxy insert installed by a then-local gunsmith. The work was very well done, but the degree to which it helped was minimal. I cannot comment on whether painting would work with a fixed K-frame sight, but it would be of minimal value on a Detective Special sight.
    I feel it helps quite a lot on a 1980s Agent. Its smooth faced, but seems to hold the paint OK. Its painted about halfway down the length of the ramp. Could do more, but that seemed enough at the time.

FWIW, a smooth faced sight is only a few minutes of work away from being serrated with a checkering file. Works like magic and looks perfect as to evenness. For those that havent seen a checkering file, its not a single groove being cut, its a series of lines at once. Depending on the width of the checkering file, most or all the sight blade/ramp being cut at the same time. I recall it being brought up before and it seemed from the comments that people were concerned about it looking even. It looks like factory. I dont know if thats how the factory does it, but its perfect when done right.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-26-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Does anyone have experience widening the rear or thinning the front? If so, did you find it to be worth the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Attachment 24081
    Picked up this 65-3 yesterday. One of my “grail” revolvers. I need to put some orange paint on the front sight and order a Tyler T grip. The 9 ring flyer was from momentarily “losing” the front sight. First shot cut the “X”. Very pleased.
    I cannot figure out how to orient the picture the right way....
    I forgot to answer Camsdaddy’s question about pricing.
    LGS literally down the street from my house two weeks ago took in three S&W revolvers somehow considering that they are more “tactical” in their theme.
    Got this one for $528 OTD which is a very fair price, I think.
    Missed the 442 Performance Center revolver for $379 that was one of the three....

Site Supporter
    Hey deputyG23, how do you keep that fishing jig paint from drying out? I've tried to add thinner to it, but that doesn't seem to work. The bottles are like $7 from Greentop and I only get to use them maybe once. They are the best darned paint b/c it's really thick almost plastic.
    Adam

Site Supporter
    Good question. I have used the paint once last summer and not since. Will check it. It came from Green Top as well.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 02-27-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    Hey deputyG23, how do you keep that fishing jig paint from drying out? I've tried to add thinner to it, but that doesn't seem to work. The bottles are like $7 from Greentop and I only get to use them maybe once. They are the best darned paint b/c it's really thick almost plastic.
    Name:  66E232DD-A6ED-4E32-8FE3-3563532E88C1.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  56.1 KB
    Just checked it and both bottles are still good. I have about six sets of sights to do so I am glad it didn’t dry out.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 02-27-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Maybe try cleaning the lid and the threads on the bottle to get a good seal.

User Tag List