Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Picked up a 3" S&W Model 65-5

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    Other than a pristine, beautifully old-school blued 3" M19!

http://www.fototime.com/D7F627B517E6A34/large.jpg
    2.5 inches? 3 inches? Which one is best? After pondering the issue intensely my reply is "both"--but finding a 3 inch Model 19 is (tragically) more difficult. So I think the only solution is to buy the 2.5 inch varieties (and the occasional Model 65) until a 3 inch version shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    As much as I love my Python, respect my GP100, the K-frame is the pinnacle of fighting revolvers, IMHO.
    I like 686's also. But you are right--the K frame is the pinnacle.

Made it out to the range today with some handloads; mild .357 consisting of HS-6 powder and a 158gr Nosler JHP. Hit right to point of aim at 15 yards. I did get a nice cylinder release bite on my shooting thumb. May need to try a few different pairs of grips.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    .... I did get a nice cylinder release bite on my shooting thumb. May need to try a few different pairs of grips.
    If by “bite” you mean the edge of the cylinder release gets you during recoil, then buy a new style cylinder release. You won’t have that problem anymore.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...aspx?rrec=true
    Last edited by Lon; 02-04-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I did get a nice cylinder release bite on my shooting thumb. May need to try a few different pairs of grips.
    I carry Band Aids in my wallet to put on my thumb before I shoot hard recoiling revolvers.

Site Supporter
    If a decent enough bonus comes through for me, I'm thinking there are some wheelguns coming to my FFL. Maybe a nice 3" 65 needs to be in that shipment!

Site Supporter
    This thread hasn’t reminded me I need to load some 38 and take my 65 out. I don’t remember the last time I shot it.

Site Supporter
    Made it out to the range today with some handloads; mild .357 consisting of HS-6 powder and a 158gr Nosler JHP. Hit right to point of aim at 15 yards. I did get a nice cylinder release bite on my shooting thumb. May need to try a few different pairs of grips.
    I've retrofitted the new style cylinder release to all my revolvers that would accept it; the only one that wouldn't is my M10-5. It's a big improvement.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    As much as I love my Python, respect my GP100, the K-frame is the pinnacle of fighting revolvers, IMHO.
    I'm not the revolver expert around here, or anywhere at all, but I would agree the K-frame is the pinnacle of concealed carry revolvers. Those $1400 315 Night Guards on GB right now are arguably the pinnacle of the K-frame as a concealed carry piece.

The GP is the pinnacle of fighting revolvers, which should be built like a tank and not wear out until long after you do.

Just my take on the semantics of the issue.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I love my 3" Detective Special, my 4" non-full lug GP100, and my 3" M65.

But my pinnacle of fighting revolvers wouldn't be a 3" K-Frame. They're beautiful guns in terms of balance and for carry. But for shooting? They just aren't durable to shooting magnums. A 3" in .38? That's a forever gun, but in .357 it's a 10-year gun if you shoot it regularly.

My pinnacle, out of my safe would be easy. The 4" fixed sight GP100. Theoretical would be a toss up - A 3" Jovino 625 .45 ACP would be close, because wearing out a .45 ACP N-Frame would be nigh impossible. A 3" MR73 would probably be it though.

My current grail guns are a 3" MR73, a 3" Python, a 2.5" Diamondback, and any Jovino I can put hands on.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-06-2018 at 10:56 PM.

User Tag List