Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Field Holster

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Thinking about picking up one of these for my Match Champion. Stainless and Kydex for tromping around in 99.44 percent humidity woods... Low-key OC in places where that is a thing. Should work for 3- and 4-inch K frames if I want to try that, too.

What are y'all's thoughts on green vs. black? OD is kinda low-key and perhaps less visually notable (especially since I frequently wear olive colored pants and shorts, but even with jeans), but some may perceive it as specifically military. Pretty much any outdoor gear might be black nylon and plastic, and the black rubber Hogue NFG grip doesn't generate any further contrast with the holster.

The photo for green currently on the site shows green plastic with camo textile insert and flap. Other photos online show the same setup but with solid green textile.
    https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...-speed-loaders

Others show a really course weave OD fabric, almost like burlap.
    https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com...l-p-16550.html

Is there any consistency or way to know what to expect to show up? I think if I go green, I'd want just one color.

Also, what is the "smooth nylon lining" like? Is it a fabric or a sheet plastic? I couldn't find any pics or description to clarify.

Thanks!
    I have both; and olive M12/UM84 that I attached to a Tactical Tailor shoulder rig, and a black UM84R.

The color choice is only as relevant as a choice/concern for you individually. As a "field" color, the olive might be marginally better, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about a black one. The interiors as I recall are a fabric (or fabric-like) weave. Probably easier on a blued gun than kydex, but might impart more wear than leather or horsehide, particularly over time/use.

I'd call Safariland/Bianchi customer support and ask specifically about the holster body and flap colors on the olive ones; their CS tends to be very good and responsive.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive had fairly good experiences with decent quality cartridge belts, but poorly made ones or using poor parts of the hide can be rather problematic. Good ones last, and give good tension without losing rounds, and not taking too much effort to get shells out. Poor ones stretch badly, lose shells, and are a pain in the behind. better grades of makers will usually have correctly sized loops and decent grade leather for the belt and loops. For some reason, 38 belts seem plagued by poor quality leather and poor planning on tension in the Hunter level of belts ive seen, they often seem to stretch decently to hold 30-30 shells though, provided the individual example isnt poor leather quality and type. Flanky leather is soft and spongy and stretches badly.

Cartridge belts arent as fast as speed loaders, but are pretty practical for carrying ammo in a mostly low impact way. Speed loaders are bulky, speed strips need to be fished out and can be bulky and heavy in pockets if you carry very many, (not that either cant also be used) but a cartridge belt adds little bulk to a gun belt, spreads the weight out, and give relatively easy access to the rounds. I pull two at a time when loading from a belt. If youre in a hurry, having the loops in the front are pretty quick. Where I live, being able to grab a gun with belt and cartridges all in one go is pretty handy for walking, yard work, hiking or whatever.
    I agree. I'm slacking this year but I used to sleep out under the stars a lot more. A gun belt is easy to remove when going to bed. Depending on the weather I normally sleep with my pants on and taking a holster and knife off every night is tedious.
    Name:  KIMG0899.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  69.8 KBName:  KIMG1319.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  102.2 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I have both; and olive M12/UM84 that I attached to a Tactical Tailor shoulder rig, and a black UM84R.

The color choice is only as relevant as a choice/concern for you individually. As a "field" color, the olive might be marginally better, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about a black one. The interiors as I recall are a fabric (or fabric-like) weave. Probably easier on a blued gun than kydex, but might impart more wear than leather or horsehide, particularly over time/use.

I'd call Safariland/Bianchi customer support and ask specifically about the holster body and flap colors on the olive ones; their CS tends to be very good and responsive.

Best, Jon
    Midway dropped its price on the OD holster to the same as the best I could find on a black one, and it led to free shipping covering a box of 1000 wadcutters. So I hit buy. (Said no to the "NRA Round-Up" program.)

It is all green. Made like old-fashioned military gear. Not sure of the history, but it seems plausible that something like it was designed to carry the M9 back 35 years ago. Looks like it will last forever. It is indeed nylon weave on the inside (although much smoother than the rough ballistic nylon on the outside), so I would not put a blued gun in it unless it was one like @Malamute's with most of the blue patinaed off already. The GP MC is snuggling in its new woobie, forming a pocket for itself in the padding. Thanks for the recommendation!
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Midway dropped its price on the OD holster to the same as the best I could find on a black one, and it led to free shipping covering a box of 1000 wadcutters. So I hit buy. (Said no to the "NRA Round-Up" program.)
    Thanks for the sales heads up! I know nylon holsters are no longer cool but these were the standard issue for the 12 years I was in the Army.

Site Supporter
    I have had good luck wearing pancake style thumb break holsters under my shirt while working. Duluth makes T-shirt’s that are extra long. Wearing my gun under the shirt keeps the saw dust off it. I usually wear suspenders under my t shirt. I like cartridge holders that go around the belt and snap. I think my holders are from El Paso. I have a hunter brand thumb break that came with a used S&W 66 I bought that works well. I also have a galco fletch thumb break that I like. I have two old crossdraw Ruger flap holsters for blackhawks that I bought used. I plan on getting a Bowen lanyard ring that replaces the screw in hogue grips so I can add a lanyard
    Last edited by Poconnor; 08-10-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Thanks for the sales heads up! I know nylon holsters are no longer cool but these were the standard issue for the 12 years I was in the Army.
    It ain't no Uncle Mike's.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    My Dept issued uncle mike holsters for duty for a short time. I still shudder when I think about it. A lieutenant picked them because they were the cheapest in gall’s catalog

It ain't no Uncle Mike's.
    Definitely NOT!

By today's standards they are slow and not cook kydex, but when you judge them by what they replaced in the mid 1980s and the amazing idea that they were going to hold pistols that actually had a round in the pipe - they were space age!

I wouldn't want to have one for CCW or Patrol, but they are great field pistols and will keep your pistol safe from being beaten up and keep it from falling out (and if you are worried about that you have a handy loop to attach a lanyard to).

One thing I'm not totally happy with is the overall height front the trigger guard to the top strap causes the inside of the holster to bear against the rear sight blade - basically, that's where a lot of the force retaining it is applied. Wouldn't be a huge issue with fixed sights, but with adjustable target sights, especially ones that have been criticized from time to time for not holding zero, it concerns me. Also, the inside of the holster in that area isn't the smooth nylon weave, it's the heavy, rough, ribbed webbing that's visible at the top of the front on the outside, wrapped down into the inside. So it may at the least rub finish off the sight, especially if any dust gets added to the mix.

Not giving up on it, just noting it's not quite perfect. Will continue to seek solutions.
    Not another dime.

One thing I'm not totally happy with is the overall height front the trigger guard to the top strap causes the inside of the holster to bear against the rear sight blade - basically, that's where a lot of the force retaining it is applied. Wouldn't be a huge issue with fixed sights, but with adjustable target sights, especially ones that have been criticized from time to time for not holding zero, it concerns me. Also, the inside of the holster in that area isn't the smooth nylon weave, it's the heavy, rough, ribbed webbing that's visible at the top of the front on the outside, wrapped down into the inside. So it may at the least rub finish off the sight, especially if any dust gets added to the mix.

Not giving up on it, just noting it's not quite perfect. Will continue to seek solutions.
    That’s disappointing. The UM84 for autos is a pretty solid design with a smooth nylon internal lining.

User Tag List