Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Holster

"It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Nice stuff. Thanks for the link!

Kenai Chest Holster. 44 mag Super RedHawk Alaskan. Carried on multiple back country trips in Alaska. Moose hunting, Camping, river boats, etc. Awsome holster. It's like wearing something from JMCK or a Raven Phantom on your chest. I'm referring to the quality, retention and speed of deployment. Can't go wrong. My personal opinion for what it's worth. If all I can carry in Bear country is a hand cannon I do not want to mess with any leather straps, snaps or plastic buckles.

Just like any other kind of kit you need to practice with it.

Good luck on your search and discovery.

KT

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Thinking about picking up one of these for my Match Champion. Stainless and Kydex for tromping around in 99.44 percent humidity woods... Low-key OC in places where that is a thing. Should work for 3- and 4-inch K frames if I want to try that, too.

What are y'all's thoughts on green vs. black? OD is kinda low-key and perhaps less visually notable (especially since I frequently wear olive colored pants and shorts, but even with jeans), but some may perceive it as specifically military. Pretty much any outdoor gear might be black nylon and plastic, and the black rubber Hogue NFG grip doesn't generate any further contrast with the holster.

The photo for green currently on the site shows green plastic with camo textile insert and flap. Other photos online show the same setup but with solid green textile.
    https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...-speed-loaders

Others show a really course weave OD fabric, almost like burlap.
    https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com...l-p-16550.html

Is there any consistency or way to know what to expect to show up? I think if I go green, I'd want just one color.

Also, what is the "smooth nylon lining" like? Is it a fabric or a sheet plastic? I couldn't find any pics or description to clarify.

Thanks!
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Durable field holster

I've been know to carry a SA in the heat and humidity of high summer working outside in various hot parts of the country and ruined some very nice (read "expensive") leather holsters. I found this man and had him make me a custom Tom Threepersons style kydex holster with both strong side and cross draw options, It was about $100 delivered.

https://m.facebook.com/M2bKydex/?ref...ernal&mt_nav=0

Name:  B374200B-539F-4389-8CB6-C26F6AF863E7.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  29.8 KB
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia!

I wouldn't mind trying out a cartridge belt for woods use again. I've never had luck with leather ones and I keep thinking about getting a canvas one

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I wouldn't mind trying out a cartridge belt for woods use again. I've never had luck with leather ones and I keep thinking about getting a canvas one
    Ive had fairly good experiences with decent quality cartridge belts, but poorly made ones or using poor parts of the hide can be rather problematic. Good ones last, and give good tension without losing rounds, and not taking too much effort to get shells out. Poor ones stretch badly, lose shells, and are a pain in the behind. better grades of makers will usually have correctly sized loops and decent grade leather for the belt and loops. For some reason, 38 belts seem plagued by poor quality leather and poor planning on tension in the Hunter level of belts ive seen, they often seem to stretch decently to hold 30-30 shells though, provided the individual example isnt poor leather quality and type. Flanky leather is soft and spongy and stretches badly.

Cartridge belts arent as fast as speed loaders, but are pretty practical for carrying ammo in a mostly low impact way. Speed loaders are bulky, speed strips need to be fished out and can be bulky and heavy in pockets if you carry very many, (not that either cant also be used) but a cartridge belt adds little bulk to a gun belt, spreads the weight out, and give relatively easy access to the rounds. I pull two at a time when loading from a belt. If youre in a hurry, having the loops in the front are pretty quick. Where I live, being able to grab a gun with belt and cartridges all in one go is pretty handy for walking, yard work, hiking or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive had fairly good experiences with decent quality cartridge belts, but poorly made ones or using poor parts of the hide can be rather problematic. Good ones last, and give good tension without losing rounds, and not taking too much effort to get shells out. Poor ones stretch badly, lose shells, and are a pain in the behind. better grades of makers will usually have correctly sized loops and decent grade leather for the belt and loops. For some reason, 38 belts seem plagued by poor quality leather and poor planning on tension in the Hunter level of belts ive seen, they often seem to stretch decently to hold 30-30 shells though, provided the individual example isnt poor leather quality and type. Flanky leather is soft and spongy and stretches badly.

Cartridge belts arent as fast as speed loaders, but are pretty practical for carrying ammo in a mostly low impact way. Speed loaders are bulky, speed strips need to be fished out and can be bulky and heavy in pockets if you carry very many, (not that either cant also be used) but a cartridge belt adds little bulk to a gun belt, spreads the weight out, and give relatively easy access to the rounds. I pull two at a time when loading from a belt. If youre in a hurry, having the loops in the front are pretty quick. Where I live, being able to grab a gun with belt and cartridges all in one go is pretty handy for walking, yard work, hiking or whatever.
    I'm eyeballing cartridge belts right now. Can you recommend some specific makers?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

The ones ive had and seen from El Paso seemed pretty decent. Others that I'm not familiar with, Id only buy when I could see and handle them without any upfront experience. I dont know what to say beyond that, and that it doesnt take a huge investment to get decent leather, but the lower end of the price scale is where you are mostly likely to have problems with fit and using good cuts of leather. Im OK with some stuff like Hunter if i can see them in person. Their older stuff seems better overall than much newer stuff of various brands. my 45 belt is Hunter, I think I bought it in about 1982. It stretched out to where it didnt hold 44 very well, but is fine with 45 Colt. Its also been restitched by hand once or twice, which any may need at some point.

The Lawrence belts seem decent, but theyve been out of business for a couple decades i think. They turn up used online.

Longer belts can sometimes be cut down as needed. This is complicated if one is getting the western movie style gunbelt with the holster hanging off a drop loop. My use has been plain straight belts with cartridge loops.

If one carries with them much attaching the holster to the belt saves aggravation and headaches. You get tired of dropping the holster and gun off the belt when putting it on or taking it off.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Although it is made for a 4" barrel, the Bianchi UM84R is a good choice for your GP100 if you want a belt holster. I have several and they are very tough and provide almost complete protection for the gun. Not fast to draw from, but with practice they're not too bad.
    That was going to by my suggestion too. While certainly outdated for "tactical" use, I have carried the UM84 in the field quite a bit and it has proven itself to be very rugged and does a good job protecting the gun - it is a little slow but for a field holster- I like em.

User Tag List