Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Holster

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Although it is made for a 4" barrel, the Bianchi UM84R is a good choice for your GP100 if you want a belt holster. I have several and they are very tough and provide almost complete protection for the gun. Not fast to draw from, but with practice they're not too bad.

Also available for the 3" GP100:

http://www.safariland.com/products/h...ers-10892.html
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Ive pretty much lived with the 4" Smith 29 in a Threepersons type holster for years of nearly full time outdoors living cutting years worth of firewood, building stuff, etc. Ive found tanker types not very comfortable, nor shoulder holsters compared to the Threepersons at about 3:30 on a cartridge belt. YMMV, its worked well for me.

I have a Cattleman coming from Simply Rugged for my 5 inch 44. I intend to hang it on a cartridge belt but have not decided on which one. In the mean time I have been using a old no-name Threepersons type just behind the hip. It seems to be out of the way there but I haven't done any wood cutting or such.
    https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...564&parent=669

@ Malamute, do you have a favorite cartridge belt? I'm looking hard at the offering from El Paso Saddlery https://epsaddlery.com/product/150-river-belt/
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 02-01-2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: bad spelling

Another vote for the Bianchi UM84R. Very rugged and well made. The flap provides excellent weather and "bump" protection, and it's quiet to open (albeit not the fastest to execute a draw from).

Another alternative I'd recommend would be a Wilderness Safepacker. http://www.thewilderness.com/safepac...lment-holster/

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    I have a Cattleman coming from Simply Rugged for my 5 inch 44. I intend to hang it on a cartridge belt but have not decided on which one. In the mean time I have been using a old no-name Threepersons type just behind the hip. It seems to be out of the way there but I haven't done any wood cutting or such.
    https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...564&parent=669

@ Malamute, do you have a favorite cartridge belt? I'm looking hard at the offering from El Paso Saddlery https://epsaddlery.com/product/150-river-belt/

The belts Ive used the most are pretty plain. I didnt see anything comparable in El Pasos lineup. My 44 belt is an older Larwence belt, the 45 belt I use is a cheapo Hunter brand from the early 80s. It seems to be better leather than most of their recent stuff ive seen.

The Lawrence is slightly tapered where it goes through the buckle, but its nearly unnoticeable unless very close to it. I may have pics here...

Ive had belts with billet ends, they look nice, but add thickness and a slight amount more complexity putting them on. I sold a nice 44 belt with billet ends once because I was in the habit of wearing them buckle to the back when small game hunting, the billet ends were not as easy to put on backwards with a coat on. The plain belts work well for comfort and being unobtrusive when worn all day working.

One thing Ive not seen mentioned much, I attach the holster to the belt, the buckle can be undone and the belt dropped loose and only held by one end and not drop the holster. They can also be hung by the buckle by the door when attached, less messing around to grab it going out the door and putting it on.

Name:  SW-29-holster.jpg
Views: 3170
Size:  68.4 KBName:  IMG_5853.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  80.4 KB

I got my holster in from Simple Rugged. First impressions is that the leather is stiffer than expected. That is a good thing. It covers the trigger very well and the pistol fits nice and snug without being to tight. I think it is going to work very well for my intended use. If, ok, when I get the 3 inch .44 I will be ordering one of these for it and I might even get some fancy tooling done.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Name:  SW-29-holster.jpg
Views: 3170
Size:  68.4 KB
    The wear on that bluing and the grips... that thing is classic and sexy... not a safe queen, but a traveling companion!
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    ...[
    That 29 looks like it could write a novel or two, beautiful. Between @Lost River and you, who should my wife call when I get an old 29 and kit?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    That 29 looks like it could write a novel or two, beautiful. Between @Lost River and you, who should my wife call when I get an old 29 and kit?
    Every few months I will google "Malamute 29 bluing" to seek out that picture for one reason or another.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    You guys have convinced me to at least dabble in the “cartridge belt/Threepersons” route if nothing else but to try something different. Now the task is to find something reasonably priced, not heirloom quality, and worth of some hard knocks. Suggestions always welcome.

User Tag List